HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by martin richards, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 09:35 AM
Jersey,C.I. (GB)
Joined Mar 2008
172 Posts
http://www.voyager-rc.com/

This is what there is for a Voyager website, but it's hardly changed for months.
Islander51 is offline Find More Posts by Islander51
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2009, 02:22 AM
Joined Jan 2009
83 Posts
Are the sailboats from hobbycity something good?
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._Phantom-1.89m

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...lboat-Monsoon_

They look so nice!
thibaultvdb is offline Find More Posts by thibaultvdb
Old Mar 17, 2009, 06:15 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
Sticky Kit Boats

I really dislike the RTS Chinese boats as they are such poor quality. I made the learning curve mistakes of first buying a Century 750 and then a Hurricane 1000. Yes, they do look pretty but.... I have read that the same goes for the Monsoon 900 and the Triumph 800.

With kit boats my favorite is the Voyager 1M Racing Cup Yacht. I have 2. I took the advice from this forum and replaced everything except the hull, keel, bulb and rudder.

With good sails and a decent sail servo the boats fly! Enjoy a video of my Voyager in a light breeze.

Voyager 1M Racing Cup Yacht (9 min 35 sec)

Larry L.
larrykin is offline Find More Posts by larrykin
Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:10 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,265 Posts
I'm with you Larry.
I really like my Voyager with my new Chuck Black sails.
I changed everything too.

Don M.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Apr 02, 2009, 01:56 PM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
How about listing stability data?

I have been trying to locate stability information on various boats. I think that the length of the fin (from the waterline to the center of the lead bulb) woulld be vital information to prospective designers of model sailboats. Second would be the weight of the lead bulb, third would be sail area and the center of that area. I have asseembled a list of AMYA boat specs and the length on deck as well as the height of the mast is easily available and the RTS weight of the boat, and often the draft. But no info on the weight of the bulb. Does anyone have a good estimate as to the percent of displacement provided by the lead bulbs? (Of course some actual weights would be better.)
George Steele is offline Find More Posts by George Steele
Old Apr 02, 2009, 09:44 PM
Joined Sep 2006
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Steele
Does anyone have a good estimate as to the percent of displacement provided by the lead bulbs? (Of course some actual weights would be better.)
The simple answer is the maximum.
By using lightweight materials for the boat, you minimise the weight up top, and you can maximise the weight down below.

Getting the weight low down will aid stability.

So weight of bulb =
(displament equivalent weight) - (weight of hull+rigging+radiotray+fin)
tigerbay is offline Find More Posts by tigerbay
Old Apr 03, 2009, 12:31 PM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
Reviewing "Model Yachting" #154 I found that the fin on the Laser is 16 inches long and has a four pound lead bulb. Thus "rough and ready" the maximum righting moment may be about four foot pounds. The tall una rigs have areas of 710, and 600 sq. inches. That is all I found after about 2 hours of searching.
Old Apr 03, 2009, 03:01 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
This is drifting a bit off topic. George, I suggest you open a new thread (it's too interesting to just disappear) so that I can tidy the thread a bit.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Apr 05, 2009, 02:11 PM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
Dear Martin, sorry, zap them off, I do not know how.
Old Apr 05, 2009, 02:46 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
George, I've asked the moderators to split the thread. If all goes according to plan, you should eventually see a thread you've opened called "Stability Criteria".
Tks for your co-operation.
Old May 04, 2009, 03:34 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,606 Posts
Noticed the Windstar in the PDF, I have one of these, I purchased the hull which comes with deck hardware but no masts or sails. There are conflicting reports on what glue to use. I've ended up with epoxy and vigorous sanding where stuff needs gluing .
I initially built the deck hardware as stock, but after a second rebuild cut a further hole in the deck fwd to assist in fitting the forward hardware. If you are not built like a rake you would have to cut the extra hole anyway.
the drum winch under the deck is a PITA, I started out fitting it as per plans, then fitting it under the deck with the drum above. In its third build I put it back under as per the plans, It looks neater and is better for weight but is a hassle to setup, A computer radio is a must IMHO for the Hitec drum winches.
I built all my own sails and spars from hardware aluminium and arrow shafts for the booms, fishing shop for rigging wire braid and assorted clips.

Its definitely faster than the Hurricanes and other RTR type boats but it has more sail area and ballast so is to be expected. good in a blow, I've sailed her in 20 + Kts.

Its not a beginner boat to build especially if you don't opt for the sail sets.

I also owned a Robbe Comtesse, I cant remember the build but it must have been fairly easy as I built it when I was around 19 and fairly new to RC, I sold it as I was sailing at the time with a mixed group of competitive sailors and its fairly slow, but its pretty.

The Thunder Tiger Aussie 11 is good for kids in the pool, anyone at all serious about sailing don't bother, my Razor footy sails 150% better. It was, I think my first RC sail boat.

Nick
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
Last edited by nick_75au; May 05, 2009 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Noticed another boat I use to have
Old May 04, 2009, 01:27 PM
Landlubber
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Jul 2007
596 Posts
Say Nick..... good info man. Thanks. Can you give us a little write up (follow the format in the pdf as much as possible) and email it off to martin (or me) to include in the pdf for posterity?

Cheers

Darth
DarthDude is offline Find More Posts by DarthDude
Old May 04, 2009, 03:04 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
The Windstar (without pigmented hull) is one of the few IOM legal kit boats. Robbe list various rigs. The design's a bit dated but it should definately outsail even the "good" kit boats.
Old May 05, 2009, 02:13 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,606 Posts
There was talk in the IOM NCA forums (i think) about giving manufacturers licences which will allow them to produce hulls with pigment in the interior. Unfortunately I cant find the reference. I wish I had of known the rule when I first brought the boat and Robbes offer to replace them No 'net back then.
I dont think the offer is good now after 9 odd years.
Nick
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old May 05, 2009, 09:37 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
Robbe Windstar

Here are Nick's building comments and tips:Building tips,
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick75_Au
Cut a hatch in the fore deck between the jib attachment and jib sheeting lines leave around an inch of hull between the attachment and hull cut out. Seal with cloth patch.
Use slow drying epoxy and sand thoroughly any place where gluing (the un-pigmented hull may be less of a problem.
There's enough room in the hull for an arm winch, the stock location for a drum winch is a pain but neat.
I've ended up wedging a carbon fiber tube from the mast bolt to the front of the keel box (has to be removable if class rules are followed(fiber glass or alloy one would be OK fixed)) otherwise rig tension depresses deck.
I put the fwd turning block further forward than the fwd jib attachment point
Don't leave in back of car with any rig tension, the hull will deform.
From memory the position of the hole for the keel bolt was confusing, I got it wrong but cant remember why.
A computer radio (ATV at minimum) is a must I think to set endpoints for the Hitec drum I'm using, or use a RMG.

Review,
Ive sailed against other IOMs and the guys reckon with some tuning it could become competitive at club level. I haven't used the Robbe sail sets, I think you would do much better with Sails Etc rigging and professional sails.
Its a much more powerful boat than the RTR type boats so can handle wind much better.
The hull is a copy of Metric Magic, the 1994 IOM World Champion.
The boat has a flared bow which resists diving, over press it and the boat will still dive and the flat nose brings it to a screeching halt.
Overall a good boat for non competitive club sailing that is in between (in value and quality) the RTR style and the current crop of IOMs on offer.