HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by martin richards, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 03:07 AM
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia!!
Joined Feb 2007
445 Posts
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/507footy/

www.gospectre.com

www.gospectre.com/footy%20yacht.htm

will leave the sailing comments to 507 sailors!!
gospectredotcom is offline Find More Posts by gospectredotcom
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2007, 03:25 PM
Aging Metalhead
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Nov 2007
53 Posts
Hi folks, first post from a noob here. Greetings earthlings, don't run, we are your friends.

I don't see any mention of the V32 here yet. I don't know if it's a beginner boat, but it's my first. Nice project, I'm enjoying the build.
Pretty easy if one has modeling skills or is generally handy working with wood and plastic. Don't know how it sails yet, guess I'll find out in the spring.

Stubobb
stubobb is offline Find More Posts by stubobb
Old Dec 09, 2007, 11:07 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
Hi stubobb, although no-one's posted their experiences with the Victor V32 in this thread, there have been a couple of good build threads here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&highlight=v32 and
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&highlight=v32
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Dec 10, 2007, 09:26 PM
Aging Metalhead
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Nov 2007
53 Posts
Great, thanks!
Old Jan 03, 2008, 12:23 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,428 Posts
Hey Martin!

Not to throw a wrench in the works....but I think if the title were a little more descriptive for example "Easy Sailboat Kits and Ready To Run (RTR) Sailboats" rather than Sticky Boats, it might get more attention?

I look right over this thread all the time because of the Sticky Title....maybe others do too?

C. Slick
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Jan 23, 2008, 01:29 PM
Aging Metalhead
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Nov 2007
53 Posts
/\/\/\/\ Definitely something to think about...

I'm home sick for the next few days so I thought I'd chat a bit about the 'kit boat' I'm building, VMP's V32K. Maybe let a prospective builder know what they may encounter.
I chose it for:
Price point, $125 didn't seem so bad.
- I was determined to actually build, to some extent.
- I wanted a boat with some wood but didn't want to build a hull from scratch on my first try. At least the deck is wood on the V32K.
- It looked like there was a lot of build info on the web...at first glance.

I'm not done building yet but here are a couple of things to look out for.

If you are not currently set up for major hobby work, you're going to have to go and buy a whole lot of stuff. Not such a bad thing if you need an excuse to get a bunch of new tools.
Have a few sheets of skinny plywood and bits of basswood around for making stuff.
You don't just assemble this little honey, you really have to do some figuring and building.

Really go through everything that comes in the kit and compare the bits to not only the list, but what's required throughout the instruction booklet.
Most of the stuff I was missing I easily made even if somewhat differently than called for. The folks over at Victor Models are really cool about sending stuff out if it's missing or if you screw it up.

When you install the balsa strips along the hull be very careful not to damage the wood, that stuff is really delicate. On the next one I'll probably use different, stiffer wood.
When installing the deck beams take extreme care that you do not deform the hull. This is really easy to do and will result in assymetrical hull sides and an assortment of lumps and bumps. Would have been nice if this was mentioned someplace on one of the many so-called V32 info sites. My hull came out pretty good, but I know the starboard side is a bit wonky and it will allways irk me.

Check out that transom area. mine was very thin, had ripples and is not symetrical. The starboard side is nearly a quarter inch closer to the bow than the port side. Nothing I could do about the latter without major surgery, but former was remedied with some sheet styrene, Squadron putty and sandpaper.

Then there's the issue of reinforcing the keelbox area and rudder block. If you're going to join a club and race you should definitely find someone to talk to about all the rules.
I saw a few pics of damage out here on the web so I went ahead and made things a bit stronger. A post reply in another thread gave me the incentive to go ahead with some reinforcment of the rudder block that I was thinking about blowing off.

I'm about to put the deck onto the hull. I strongly recommend doing a dry run. I did, and found out that this is not as straight forward as it may seem.
Scribe a centerline on the deck using the hatch opening and the two pre-drilled 'sheet holes' as a guide. Also mark the center lines of the deck beams on the sides of the hull. I did some searching around various forums and boards and did some figuring and it looks like the forward 'sheet hole' wants to be about 11 5/8" from the tip of the bow. If you have access to a couple of built boats, go check it out. After getting it all lined up and taped down I drilled holes for some locating pins. I very much do not want to be futzing about when the epoxy is all mixed up and ready to go.

That's enough for now, I gotta go. Maybe if I get some time I'll start another build thread to fill in the blanks left in the other two threads. Kinda like a "This is a problem area and you're going to have to pay close attention here" and "Here's one way to deal with this disaster", something a bit more helpful to guys that haven't been building R/C stuff for decades and would like to get it done pretty darn well on the first shot. I like to figure things out, but not things that were already figured out years ago by the other thousands of boat builders.

Laters, have fun!

Update 4/1/08 (not a prank, LOL):
The V32K is done, named her 'Miss Lily'.
A couple more things for a novice builder to note.
Get to a store that sells fishing gear and pick up a package of 'leader Wire'. The stuff I grabbed is 46# nylon coated stainless 1x19. Really skinny and really flexible. On the package it'll tell you what crimps to get, so go get 'em.
Why?
The stainless wire supplied with the kit is difficult to work with and unforgiving. I only used it for the mainsail leach line(?). After having difficulty getting the measurements correct and even on the shrouds with the stainless wire, I gave the 1x19 a shot and bada-bing, it was super easy to get the desired results. The new crimps had a more positive 'squish' too.

Grab some more Dacron line too. I used some surplus kiteline I had around, either Spectra or a Spectra/Dacron blend, I really can't identify it after so many years. You'll need this stuff to give you some leeway in rigging. There is not enough supplied with the kit to recover from mistakes.
Not only bonehead mistakes, but sometimes you just want to try again and get it a little better. It's nice not having to worry about running out of stuff, less stress=better work.

Although the rigging instuctions may seem a little vague, the system really makes a lot of sense. I have no clue about sailing but it all came together in a couple of hours. Learning how to use the rig, now that's gonna take some time. I figure I'll be adjusting and re-doing stuff as I learn how to use it.

I can't think of anything else that really sticks out in my mind. Since I'm probably not going to get to making a proper build thread, if anyone building a V32K has any questions, don't hesitate to shoot me an e-mail. Maybe I can help, maybe not, give it a shot.
Right that's it, cheers!
Last edited by stubobb; Apr 01, 2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 04:54 AM
Joined Mar 2008
19 Posts
Here is my humble contribution for all Victoria sailors ! Please leave me kind comments or or criticism if you got any

http://terenceg4s.googlepages.com/victoriabuildingtips

My Victoria had only seen water for less than 5 times, so I am eager to fine tune it and improve it along the way

Edit : I have updated my "blog" yesterday. Thanks for viewing
blueangelic is offline Find More Posts by blueangelic
Last edited by blueangelic; Mar 27, 2008 at 09:15 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 06:33 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
very nice info. i bookmarked it for later reference.
doomracing is offline Find More Posts by doomracing
Old Aug 25, 2008, 09:48 PM
warbirds
United States, PA, Waterford
Joined Jul 2007
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghappy
Not to throw a wrench in the works....but I think if the title were a little more descriptive for example "Easy Sailboat Kits and Ready To Run (RTR) Sailboats" rather than Sticky Boats, it might get more attention?

I look right over this thread all the time because of the Sticky Title....maybe others do too?

C. Slick
I second that, I'm just starting in the sailboat world myself (R/C pilot 28yrs.) and looking to get a better/bigger one then what I have now, (Kyosho Fortune 612) I have bypassed this thread alot, glad I found it, been very helpful.

Looking for a descent 1 meter size, something sleek and racey looking, really like the look of the ENTZ & Monsoon style. can anybody suggest one for around the $300 area, less radio. what's the best for the buck? the Seawind seems to be very popular, where can those be found? a few places I've seen there out of stock? Thanks for your help. Mark
willey is online now Find More Posts by willey
Last edited by willey; Aug 26, 2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 05:29 PM
Australia, NSW, Katoomba
Joined May 2002
5,430 Posts
There seems to be a complete dearth of Multihull RC sailboat kits around.

I know there used to be a Kyosho Trimaran kit, around 1Metre in the model shops a few years ago ---but since that ----NOTHING.

Need something fast which can sail safely in shallow water without that loathsome lump of lead hanging down below.

Paddy.
oldpilot is offline Find More Posts by oldpilot
Old Dec 12, 2008, 07:16 PM
Battle Creek Mi
Joined Jan 2005
760 Posts
Tippecanoe boats is coming out with a multi hulled kit if they haven't already. Check it out..

http://www.modelsailboat.com/tri.html
Crewdogg998 is offline Find More Posts by Crewdogg998
Last edited by Crewdogg998; Dec 13, 2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 12:34 PM
Joined Jan 2009
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willey
I second that, I'm just starting in the sailboat world myself (R/C pilot 28yrs.) and looking to get a better/bigger one then what I have now, (Kyosho Fortune 612) I have bypassed this thread alot, glad I found it, been very helpful.

Looking for a descent 1 meter size, something sleek and racey looking, really like the look of the ENTZ & Monsoon style. can anybody suggest one for around the $300 area, less radio. what's the best for the buck? the Seawind seems to be very popular, where can those be found? a few places I've seen there out of stock? Thanks for your help. Mark

I have a Monsoon.

For those who do not know, it is a chinease RTS sailboat 1 meter size.
It is a cheap kit (less than $200 with radio gear, same radio as futaba and kyosho cheap 2ch stick radios) but poor quality, as expected.

It is as fast as the ENTZ and Seawind, have raced it agains both.

Hull is made of fiber glass, main mast alumm, and other mast are plastic.
I mean poor quality cause all the metal parts and screws (besides the main mast) are made of steel or other poor quality metal, not stainless, not water resistant. It is also not so fast to setup as I would expect.

The most important is to know what the guys are sailing on your club/region. If you have a different boat you will not be able to race or participate on regatas, very bad since sailing alone is not so good.

If you are looking for a cheap RTS sailboat go for Monsoon, not regrets.

If you plan to sail a lot or to race with your friends go for the Seawind, it is easier to setup than the ENTZ and it is a lot more common to find on any club, you also get Kyosho quality and warranty.
Easy to find replacement parts as well.

Another one to consider...
I love the new Kyosho RTS Fairwind III. Great quality, Kyosho warranty, scale detailed and AMYA qualified.
It is not so fast as Seawind hull style boats but there are a lot of clubs racing this class. I have seen a phew people using jenoa (or genoa) which increased considerably the performance and man, looks awesome!... looking forward to learn how to do this mod!!!! (if someone knows of a website about it please advise!!)

You also might consider getting a better sail servo like the futaba 3801 and a better radio, all the RTS kits have poor quality radio gear.
quintilio is offline Find More Posts by quintilio
Old Jan 28, 2009, 01:48 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
First of all, my apologies for not noticing there'd been quite a few posts since I last looked.
Hogshappy, I'd rather not alter the title, as the last time I tried to do something clever, I locked the thread for a week...
Stubob. Thanks for the information on the V32. I know its very popular in the US, but it's hardly seen anywhere else.
Crewdogg. There are often questions asked about commercial multihulls and the usual answer is a deafening silence. You might like to open a thread with the link so that it can be more widely seen.
Quintillo. There's a very good build log on the Monsoon (warts and all) on http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/for...?topic=14796.0
There are links to the Kyosho sailboat user groups on the opening post.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 09:30 AM
Joined Sep 2007
16 Posts
The Marina Group for the TT Voyager

I have been trying to access The Marina yahoo forum for the Thunder Tiger Voyager but I'm being told the site is no longer available. Does anyone know if they are now going under a different forum name?
Generic is offline Find More Posts by Generic
Old Feb 25, 2009, 01:11 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
Generic, the Voyager forum had several problems and I guess it must have closed down. It's a shame, as the boat's economical and, with a few improvements (especially the sails), makes a competive boat.