HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2007, 01:23 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,527 Posts
well said bob. shame on you lot for getting excited about thrust and propellers.

the humanity!
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2007, 02:00 PM
Crashing!Unknown unknowns
Near Oxford
Joined Nov 2006
175 Posts
Humility perhaps ?

Paul
Pauld109 is offline Find More Posts by Pauld109
Old Nov 09, 2007, 02:29 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,527 Posts
just kidding.......
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Nov 11, 2007, 03:11 AM
find me @samotage
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jul 2005
8,362 Posts
It has commenced.

For a scratch builder, fitting out a nice properly made euro moldie like the B.Ceres is a joy to behold. It's like going on holiday. No need to make your own lunch or brew your own beer. Just sit by the pool all day long, admiring the view, while food and beverages are served up on a platter.
samotage is offline Find More Posts by samotage
Old Nov 11, 2007, 03:20 AM
smokin electrons...
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,265 Posts
Looking good Sam, very good...
skyzking is offline Find More Posts by skyzking
Old Nov 11, 2007, 03:21 AM
smokin electrons...
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,265 Posts
The glider version seems to have openings in the rudder as well. What are they for? Can you mount the tail servos at the back for the glider version as well?
Old Nov 11, 2007, 03:33 AM
find me @samotage
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jul 2005
8,362 Posts
It's effectively the same fuz for the E and G versions, hence both have openings.

The glider version gets servos up front to better achieve the CG, and on mine, the covers will be taped on.

For the E version the servos go down the back to counter the big motah up the pointy end.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 09:06 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,763 Posts
Pull for up on a full flying tail is pretty novel.

T
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:52 AM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,054 Posts
Looks like you're decorating a cake there in the last pic Samo. What are the benefits of adding cotton flocs to the resin mixture?
PDX Slope Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PDX Slope Pilot
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:00 AM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,922 Posts
I'd still put the servo in the tail even on the glider version--eliminate the pushrods from the front would be good--especially as Target points out--you get to "PULL" for the up travel with the servo behind the bellcrank! That is awsome--and the short direct link is FAR BETTER than long travel pushrods!! With that big of a plane-- a little more noseweight is no biggie--and without all the pushrods running the length of the fuse--I'll bet the weight/balance differential is very minimal!!
FWIW
Tim
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Nov 11, 2007, 07:11 PM
find me @samotage
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jul 2005
8,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Slope Pilot
Looks like you're decorating a cake there in the last pic Samo. What are the benefits of adding cotton flocs to the resin mixture?
Yup, it's just like decorating a cake! A very clean way of applying splooge type mixtures into the desired location. In full swing, I go through lots of little baggies...

The flocs adds a lot structural strength to the epoxy, whilst the cabosil thickens it - so it stays in place. This means that the glue sticking the item in is unlikely to fail before the item being glued. I am a big fan of these epoxy additives, as the poxy can be tempered in a wide variety of mixtured to achieve different properties from light weight fillers to very strong structural members.

Sam,
one part this, another that.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 07:13 PM
find me @samotage
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jul 2005
8,362 Posts
Tim and T,

Pull for UP is great. I hadn't thought of putting the glider servos down the back... I will however investigate this to determine what additional balancing mass would be necessary. You are right, it would be much cleaner and nicer...

Sam,
balanced - with a chip on both shoulders.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:18 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samotage
Tim and T,

Pull for UP is great. I hadn't thought of putting the glider servos down the back... I will however investigate this to determine what additional balancing mass would be necessary. You are right, it would be much cleaner and nicer...

Sam,
balanced - with a chip on both shoulders.
I totally agree with putting the servos back there, and I wish more big gliders were designed that way. As Tim said, a little extra nose weight will make no difference.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Nov 12, 2007, 03:45 AM
find me @samotage
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jul 2005
8,362 Posts
pull for UP!

is the way it shall be on both examples. I have weighted the penalty, and it's a miserly 72 grams... Thanks gents for your timely input, it's appreciated. I spose that's the beauty of this 'ole forum, another 100 eyes and new ideas.

Fiddly work tonight, setting up the bellcranks etcetera...
Old Nov 12, 2007, 04:17 AM
smokin electrons...
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,265 Posts
Nice work Sam, having shorter linkages makes the servos job a lot easier, in tern they will last longer, have less slop and drain less current. And as Dieter mentioned before, i wish others where designed this way as well.

I really like how you build your airplanes Sam, very professional. Ive learnt alot form these types of forums.

Abdullah.