HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2007, 07:02 PM
find me @samotage
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jul 2005
8,362 Posts
Dieter, The motor has a 6.7 gearbox on it. I like the suggestion regarding the 20 inch prop. And likewise, the truck analogy - it's the characteristics I am looking for in this unit. My rodent with the 6% Don Ayers wings has these characteristics fast, predictable, energy retentive. In fact, it's almost relaxing to fly...

Yuri, I don't quite understand the point you're making. Are you suggesting the pack will not support the amps?

Sam.
samotage is offline Find More Posts by samotage
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2007, 09:46 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,605 Posts
With the 6.7 gearbox, also try the RFM 23x12 prop. --Dieter
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Nov 09, 2007, 12:23 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
Planet Earth
Joined Jun 2005
4,972 Posts
Yuri, I don't quite understand the point you're making. Are you suggesting the pack will not support the amps?

Sam.[/QUOTE]

What Amps ? Even with 20x13 prop it will be 64A /sixty for/
And 1000W of power for about 10Lb plane.You may say it is enough 100W per Lb. Yes it is ,just on paper..I am lounching mine with 3000W under wing with a VERY good toss.Go with 23x12 as Dieter says,if You stuck with this motor/battery thing ,it will give You at least 500w more.Or use 4S neu 3900 2 packs in series.They fit ,but You will need a different controller for 8S batt.
This is a wonderfull motor with about 1500Kv ,You need more volts to make it move.
Good luck
Yuri.
Dbox is online now Find More Posts by Dbox
Old Nov 09, 2007, 12:27 AM
smokin electrons...
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samotage
Dieter, The motor has a 6.7 gearbox on it. I like the suggestion regarding the 20 inch prop. And likewise, the truck analogy - it's the characteristics I am looking for in this unit. My rodent with the 6% Don Ayers wings has these characteristics fast, predictable, energy retentive. In fact, it's almost relaxing to fly...

Sam.
Sam i think he is saying that you might not be able to get the performance figures you would like to get with your current set-up (thats with the 18x16 prop). I ran your set-up through a motor calculator and its producing something like 900W of power. That should be enough power for a nice shallow climb but its sure not what you are after.

As Dieter suggested before, your better off going with a 23x12 as it will increase your current draw. With that prop you will get around the 1.6kW mark.

Heres a link to the electric motor calculator http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/dma1.asp

It is very helpful (the calculator that is) in determining on what pack and prop combination to use, although helpful, it is also known to produce different usually greater than real time figures.

I hope that was of some help but Yuri is definitely the person to refer to for power systems,
Abdullah.
skyzking is offline Find More Posts by skyzking
Old Nov 09, 2007, 12:29 AM
smokin electrons...
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,254 Posts
Ahh... Yuri posted in the same time as i was typing my post up...He must be a faster typer than me...
Old Nov 09, 2007, 03:15 AM
find me @samotage
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jul 2005
8,362 Posts
Mmm,

I think I figured out what is going on... Surely Bob couldn't hate me that much... Samotage made a "typo" and put 1521 in instead of 1512. Gentlemen the motah I have is a

1512 1.5D at 3200kV which spins a lot harder with my volts. I get 3kW from the good ole Brantuas calculator, even after what seems like the 100th time... And I fully agree, with the mistake I served all 'yall 900 would be totally pathetic for such a deserving toy.

On an aside, I have wired up the motor system and tested it... and it makes some scary thrust...

Praps all this arc welder chat would be better in the HP forum, though seeming I spend most of my time here, slope land seems a good place. I am sure my slopetrash brethren won't mind.

Sam,
sorry for any misunderstanding...
samotage is offline Find More Posts by samotage
Last edited by samotage; Nov 09, 2007 at 03:30 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2007, 03:35 AM
Don't ask me anything...
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,838 Posts
Quote:
Praps all this arc welder chat would be better in the HP forum, though seeming I spend most of my time here, slope land seems a good place. I am sure my slopetrash brethren won't mind.

Sam,
I'm cool, but I suspect Satinet is choking on his brekky cereal...(any talk of "power" in a plane is agin his religion).

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Nov 09, 2007, 03:42 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,404 Posts
yeah!

just wiping the tea off my flat screen. cough cough. splutter splutter.
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Nov 09, 2007, 05:35 AM
Newcastle Australia
Joined Nov 2002
894 Posts
holly crap bat man!!!
your gonna outdrag your car, no probs.

beno

edit part infact i want some quater mlie drag footage!!!!

should be good for a 10 sec pass. would look cool eating a 997
fatboywings is offline Find More Posts by fatboywings
Old Nov 09, 2007, 06:17 AM
If it ain't broke...break it!
South Coast, UK
Joined Jun 2006
912 Posts
3kW Too much is never enough....

This is from someone who used to have an Exup 1000 motor in a FZR400 rolling chassis
Hangtight is offline Find More Posts by Hangtight
Old Nov 09, 2007, 06:36 AM
smokin electrons...
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,254 Posts
Glad you got it sorted Sam...Dont leave us without a video of it.
Old Nov 09, 2007, 06:56 AM
smokin electrons...
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,254 Posts
If i ever come down there Sam, we will drag race our birds...I think ill need a big head start when you have a 3kW's producing machine.
Old Nov 09, 2007, 10:29 AM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,605 Posts
Quote:
1512 1.5D at 3200kV which spins a lot harder with my volts. I get 3kW from the good ole Brantuas calculator...
Wow, and 200+A and 110mph pitch speed... For longevity's sake also consider a 17x13 or may be even a sissy 17x10 prop... : )

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Nov 09, 2007, 10:36 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
Planet Earth
Joined Jun 2005
4,972 Posts
Now we are talking
Yuri.
Dbox is online now Find More Posts by Dbox
Last edited by Dbox; Nov 09, 2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2007, 10:40 AM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,914 Posts
Big Ceres;

Sam;
calcs look a bit "fun" to me.
feel the love!
I think with 5sec runs to spec, you should be in for a good 20 climbs....
Now, let talk sailplanes here, where is that Slope Fuse???

Bob
Bro is offline Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor