SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 03, 2007, 09:43 AM
United States, CO, Evergreen
Joined Jul 2007
293 Posts
Question
Right hand vs Left hand for DLG lauch?

I am justing starting out in DLG. I am right handed. Should I train myself to launch with the left hand?

Are there any good websites teaching dlg launch technique?
magee8578 is offline Find More Posts by magee8578
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2007, 10:26 AM
aka Mr.Side-Winder
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Jun 2007
393 Posts
Typical DHL launch setup

If your 'right' handed, you will want to throw with your right hand, and hold the TX in your left during launch.
Most people setup a launch preset,(usually a tad of up elevator), on the TX that is triggered on a momentary switch accessible with the hand that is holding the TX during launch.
After launch, you will have plenty of time to get your launch hand back on the stick to arc the plane over at the apex of the throw.

Hope this helps,

Jeff
Jeff Winder is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Winder
Old Nov 03, 2007, 12:43 PM
Team Horizon pilot
Louisville, KY
Joined Jun 2005
1,207 Posts
There are advantages to launching and catching left handed. As you make your approach to catch you can fly the plane right into your hand. On launch you can fly the plane immediatly and this will help you put the plane exactly where you want it more efficiently.

Of curse this does not help if your launch suffers because you are trying things wrong handed. I have tried launching wrong handed and it just felt (and looked) bad.

Bruce Davidson
got2soar is offline Find More Posts by got2soar
Old Nov 03, 2007, 01:02 PM
Milton Keynes, UK
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
If you have a look on youtube, you will find plenty of examples of launch techniques.

Everyone has their own take on whats good and whats not.... the only thing everyone agree's on is a straight arm and not trying to "flick" your wrist at launch.

Be aware of tip-strikes too.

If you are right handed, its almost certain that you will launch with your right hand.

I agree with Bruce about being able to control you model when catching/launching... I solve the problem by flying mode1, and mixing my rudder stick to control the ailerons when landing.
Richard S is offline Find More Posts by Richard S
Old Nov 03, 2007, 01:56 PM
COSMOPOLITAN
Joined Oct 2005
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magee8578
I am justing starting out in DLG. I am right handed. Should I train myself to launch with the left hand?

Are there any good websites teaching dlg launch technique?
There's a pretty good DVD available from Paul Naton at www.carbonart.com
featuring some of the best lefthanders like Bruce from Kentucky, and Joe W.
Another excellent lefthander - Jens Kleinert - can be found at www.pcm.at putting his Fireworks on orbit.
But if you're righthanded, why would you want to throw with your left hand?
Cheers,

Yves
Lefthanded ;-)))
ydevriendt is offline Find More Posts by ydevriendt
Old Nov 03, 2007, 02:09 PM
aspirin addict
france
Joined May 2006
32 Posts
perhaps he wants to launch lower....
ntommyn is offline Find More Posts by ntommyn
Old Nov 06, 2007, 10:10 PM
Looking for lift...
Milford, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by got2soar
I have tried launching wrong handed and it just felt (and looked) bad.

Bruce Davidson
Bruce,

If I remember correctly, you always launch wrong handed. Of course I wish I could launch as well right handed. Or something even close.

Doug
Vulture is offline Find More Posts by Vulture
Old Nov 07, 2007, 11:09 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydevriendt
But if you're righthanded, why would you want to throw with your left hand?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntommyn
perhaps he wants to launch lower....
When I was a novice at DLG, I had this thought too - "If I'm right handed, how will I fly the plane through the launch phase if I've jsut used it to throw the model?". What I didn't realise was just how little there is to do on the Tx if you have the model setup well - a smidgen of preset is all that's required, and if you don't want to you don't even have to have that (with careful setup).

On the flip side, until you've worked out your best technique and got it familar enough to be in "muscle memory", there's absolutely loads to remember on the launch - hand, wrist, arm and feet positions, weight distribution, arm angle, etc etc. As a result throwing with your "wrong" arm is going to make a difficult thing even trickier IMHO (plus that arm is likely to be less strong to start with).

Matt
most of whose throws look wrong, even using the right arm!
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Nov 07, 2007, 11:17 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,155 Posts
Due to the Coriolis effect, there is some advantage to throwing left handed in the northern hemisphere and right handed if you live down under.
Of course if you live down under you have to throw standing on your head.
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher