HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2007, 07:32 AM
Essex UK
Joined Apr 2007
634 Posts
Discussion
62" Electric Hawker Typhoon build

Hi all,
I am just preparing to start a build on the Tony Nijhuis 62" Typhoon. The plan was a free plan given with the RCM&E special edition magazine, and although the original plan had been scaled wrong RCM&E responded well by posting out correctly scaled plans to all that requested them!
The model is, as said a 62" span designed for electric or i.c. with the proto type being built electric using a 4120/14 with an APCe 13 x 8 prop on 4s 3700mah lipos.
I would like if possible to use a larger more scale like three bladed prop, So before i get started on the build properly i would appriciate any input from the leccy knowledgable types of a possible power set up that could swing a 16" 3 blade prop with enough grunt to fly this model.
Adding nose weight is not an issue, as the Typhoon has a very short nose and the original design was flown with two 4s packs in the nose, one not connected but purely used for ballast! I don't mind going up to 6s if needed to power an appropriate motor.
The target weight of the model is only 7lb, Tony N. is known to be a very light builder. I would allow at least another lb for the way i build. Any thoughts greatfully received

So far I've only got as far as cutting myself a kit from the plan, a finger numbing 101 parts so far!

Cheers,
Walts
walts is offline Find More Posts by walts
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2007, 09:12 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,246 Posts
Walts! So glad you have started this thread. I am at a standstill on my Stein Typhoon and your builds are always an inspiration. At 1/12 scale, my Tiffie is a lot smaller than the TN one but I have one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/Motor-300W-High-...QQcmdZViewItem
in it. On 3S with a 13 x 8 x 3 I am getting 30A/330W static. Even with the battery stuffed into the radiator, I had to add a couple of oz of lead. If I were starting over, I would us a heavier, lower kV motor and go with 4 or 5S to bring the rpm up. United Hobbies have a couple in the 650 kV range that I have been eyeing, but my battery box was built around a 3S 5000 mAh battery and I would have to gut the plane and start over to change it.

Looking forward to your build.

Cheers, Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Nov 03, 2007, 10:23 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,892 Posts
For any one out there that hasn't seen the November edition of RCM&E, the Editorial Typhoon plan error, or missed Walts comment about the plan scale error.

It's only a problem if you want to buy the cowl and canopy after you have cut all those parts out from the original free plan in the magazine.

Good luck with the build Walts.

That nose sure is short though.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Nov 03, 2007, 12:24 PM
Essex UK
Joined Apr 2007
634 Posts
Thanks for the interest chaps
Jeff,
I too have been looking at some of those motors at UH..........They are so cheap compared to here in the UK. Trouble is i don't really know what I'm looking for, hence the question earlier. Even from UH a set up could still cost me around $200 so i don't really want to get it wrong.........I'm going to have to educate myself a bit more first i think

Walts.
Old Nov 03, 2007, 01:43 PM
Zagreb, Croatia
Joined Sep 2002
378 Posts
I also have Typhoon plans from RCME, and will probably build this as winter project. Regarding motor, you can't go wrong with this one:

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=4569

Here is test:

http://hobbycity.com/cs/blogs/miljen...8t-tested.aspx

Hrvoje
hrvojekl is offline Find More Posts by hrvojekl
Old Nov 07, 2007, 04:43 AM
Essex UK
Joined Apr 2007
634 Posts
Hi Hrvoje,
Thanks for the suggestion, I had a look at that motor but in the mean time had decided to go with a similar set up to what is shown on the plan. I think I'll have to give up on the idea of swinging a scale prop for the moment. It's probably best just to get the model flying satisfactory first. I have decided to use 5s though instead of the 4s shown. Should give me a bit more choice in prop selection.
This is what i have started ordering for this model.

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=4907

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=4130

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=4315

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=2119

Here is some figures for this motor, quite a large selection of props available to use on 5s.

http://www.bungymania.com/imageshome...erf1.php?id=33

There is a couple of options there for 3 blade props too, I'll have to get a selection of props and do some bench testing.

Walts
Last edited by walts; Nov 07, 2007 at 04:48 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2007, 06:06 AM
Zagreb, Croatia
Joined Sep 2002
378 Posts
I would rather order this ESC and UBEC:

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=3727

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=4319

It's more expensive, but better and superior then HXT ESC. For bigger planes is always better to have opto ESC and separate battery pack for RX and servos. I used this setup and HXT 50-55B motor in my Me-109 from Jamara (56" span) and it work flawless (160 flights so far).

Hrvoje
hrvojekl is offline Find More Posts by hrvojekl
Last edited by hrvojekl; Apr 14, 2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2007, 07:24 AM
Essex UK
Joined Apr 2007
634 Posts
Thanks once again for the info Hrvoje I have changed my order for the ESC & programing card you mentioned. I am quite new to electric flight still, with most of my background being in i.c. modelling. I presume an opto ESC only supplies power for the motor? if this is so that suites me fine as i always use a seperate power source for my RX anyway.

When you said you have this plan, did you contact RCM&E to get the correctly scaled plan, or did you intend building the smaller version from the undersized plan that came with the mag? Only you would need to make your own cowl if that is the case. I hope you join in with your build when you get started on it.
Cheers,
Walts.
Old Nov 07, 2007, 10:32 AM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
signing on...
gunracer is offline Find More Posts by gunracer
Old Nov 07, 2007, 12:15 PM
I fly therefore I crash
Torrance, CA
Joined Sep 2006
919 Posts
walts,

Great to see you starting the Typhoon! I've never been close to a balsa build, always foam, so I'll be watching this build as an admiring freshman.

Fletch
fletchace is offline Find More Posts by fletchace
Old Nov 07, 2007, 01:04 PM
Tiptree Essex England
Joined Sep 2007
150 Posts
Tick me in attendance as well...
DavidDSW is offline Find More Posts by DavidDSW
Old Nov 07, 2007, 03:59 PM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
sweetness !

I gotta do a Typhoon ... looks like you're off to good start .

Best of luck !
the Swamp Fox is offline Find More Posts by the Swamp Fox
Old Nov 08, 2007, 01:29 PM
Farnborough, Hampshire, England.
Joined Jan 2002
2,132 Posts
I'm logged in on this one................love the Tempest, Typhoon ............just look at that fat wing!!!!..

Ian
farnboro flyer is offline Find More Posts by farnboro flyer
Old Nov 09, 2007, 03:30 AM
Essex UK
Joined Apr 2007
634 Posts
Thats a very nice artist's impression of a well weathered 'Tiffy' Ian! thanks for the inspiration, and indeed everyones interest .................I'll have to get started on this one soon, just got a few odds & ends to tidy up on the Lancaster and Hurricane first then I'll get straight in to it!

Cheers,
Walts
Old Nov 17, 2007, 02:50 PM
Essex UK
Joined Apr 2007
634 Posts
I started to put this model together Monday and had hoped to have got a little further with it before posting, but heres where it's at at the moment.

The fus was built by pining the five spine parts over the plan then adding the half formers, the wing seat doubler and the stringers. This was removed and the other sides of the formers added. I decided to make a jig to try and keep the fus straight whilst i added the stringers to the other side. This seemed to do the job and i managed to sheet most of the fus before removing it from the jig. Incedentally, the sheeting was the most awkward part so far. I didn't hold my breath over doing it with just four pieces either side of a round and tapering fus as mentioned in the article, so i opted to sheet it in smaller sections.
I also decided to add a 1/4" tail plane doubler to give a definite position for the tail plane before sheeting.

The fus is kept nice and straight in the jig

Whilst I've been waiting for the vac formed parts to turn up i made a start on the tail surfaces.
I wasn't too keen on butt gluing to T/P half's with dihedrial on the bottom in to slots in the fus. So decided to make the T/P in one piece. This means that I'll have to open up the top part of the fus over the T/P seat to get it in, but at least I've got a definite seat to set it on.
The T/P was a straight forward structure built upside down over the plan to give the dihedral to the bottom of it. The last rib is shown as a full rib, but once the T/P is sheeted the end of the rib is 1/16th smaller top and bottom. I used this to give a guide for shaping the tips (1/16th larger obviously) Then cut it off and just extended the elevators 1/16th more.

I think I'll give up with the initial idea to use a scale size prop for the time being, and stick to a similar set up to the proto type, at least until I've got it flying

Walts