HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2007, 05:38 PM
Joined Dec 2004
87 Posts
Discussion
Precision Aerobatics Addiction -Aussie Made flying video

This new plane is making waves - you can check it (its a 50 mb file so give it some time to download) out here:

http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/v...he%20movie.mov

The video was made here in OZ - Filmed at Carine open space here in Perth -with some Sydney park footage thrown in too.

Rather than designing ANOTHER katana or YAK etc Precision Aerobatics really wanted to design a functional plane from the ground up to suit the sort of flying modern 3d and sport flyers like to do- The video was designed to showcase this unique plane- an its reccomended components

I have one of these and the SYnergy of having the Airframe, Motor , battery and esc designed to work together as one unit makes my previous attempts at battery, motor, prop and airframe combinations look like a joke. I even managed to mismatch my servos on previous planes!!

I wasted SO much money and time on mismatched components. Now i get incredible flight time, amazing power to weight ratio and and and airframe that - thanks to its carbon Fibrefusion - is rock solid- and tuneable from Sport park flyer to insan-o 3d contortionist!!

Dont get me wrong - experimenting with diferent flying set ups can be fun - but if you want pro performance straight out of the box check out one of these. Now i'm flying more and tinkering less!!
dingfix is offline Find More Posts by dingfix
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2007, 08:17 PM
R/C Airplane Executioner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
1,934 Posts
Hi Dingfix, so how does it fly? Does it 3D as well as they say? Im thinking of getting one an fitting it with an Eflite Park 480 1020Kv and Flight Power 2170. A little heavier, but I think the 480 is a little more powerful than the Thrust 20.
maiden-crash is online now Find More Posts by maiden-crash
Old Nov 03, 2007, 01:33 AM
Joined Dec 2004
87 Posts
Best reccomendation i can make - fly it fully as reccomended by PA -using their components- it is so tuned and all the parts work together so well you will freak. Seriously - after seeing how well everything works together i cant believe how much mucking around i did prviously trying to get an acceptable set up. PA take out all the guess work - and the batt, motor, esc combos are well priced.

Power on thrust 20 is already insane - she'll accelerate vertically out of a hover no probs.

i am no pro pilot (i am flying it on reduced aeileron and elevator travel) but an experienced pilot (the guy that did alot of the flying shots in the video) frothed over it so much he got one for himself. He loves it and he's pretty good - he was coming from a VERY nice PA katana mini tuned to perfection.
Old Nov 07, 2007, 09:20 PM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,557 Posts
That link appears to be dead.
Where do you find the videos on their site?

phil
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Nov 08, 2007, 02:57 AM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,781 Posts
I got the vid the other day, pretty fancy production, nothing amatuer about the video, and I gotta say, that's one handy plane

oh, it seems to fly pretty well too!

Try here beaver. The one I saw is the bottom right "the movie"
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Nov 08, 2007, 07:31 PM
Model Bender
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2004
2,869 Posts
We were discussing promotional videos for our products the other day with our sales dept.. when I showed the manager the new PA video. She thought it was cool, but also said it's simply marketing 101! Excellent start but was disappointed with the all too obvious advertising and marketing speil that followed. PA excels at pushing their products..just look at the overloaded advertising stickers that come with all their models.

I have a Katana MD which flies well, but is no better nor worse than a less expensive SebArt plane. It's all about the hype folks...

Shouldn't really be typing this, because my MD may be up for sale soon! hahah
OzDragonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzDragonFlyer
Old Nov 08, 2007, 08:00 PM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,781 Posts
Quote:
It's all about the hype folks...
That's simply what sells stuff. Look at Ipods, I-this I-that. Nothing better than a cheapo mp3 or my phone for that matter, but try telling kids that. "gotta have an I-pod, nothing else" Apple had a HUGE spike in their stock price based on a I-phone that hadn't even been released, that did everything my mid range nokia does now (bar touchscreen) Why, because investors know Apple know how to market.

As far as stickers go, kids love 'em. shoot, I used to be a sticker kid. At the 4 shops I work, it's one kid after another looking for stickers, (gotta be a cool brand though ) most will pay for them too. manufacturers know this and now start charging for stickers. Fox, no-fear etc comes to mind. Take a look at t shirts that have nothing but the makers symbol, you pay to advertise their stuff, then we have the big kids with their stickers on the rear windows of utes. One of our big sellers is simply a big Yamaha sticker (sorry decal ) nearly 50 bucks!!! They walk out the door. $30 bucks for a coffe mug with yamaha on it? can't get enough. Why would one pay nearly $200 for any v8 supercar team "race" shirt? No idea, but they do by the truckload.

Yep, it's all about the hype. When your market is kids anyway, big ones included!

Oh, the irony is this thread is at the top DUE to the hyped up video
Old Nov 08, 2007, 08:31 PM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,557 Posts
I watched the video but without sound. (at work right now so one stays under the boss's radar by muting the volume)

Glad I did by the look of the previous comments above.
Actually it performs no better than many other 3D plane I've seen to be honest.
Apart from some dill taking it to bed and other 'odd' stuff, there's nothing there that I haven't seen before.
A flying buddy (Magnum9) has a Brio which does exactly the same stuff.

Now if that 'super duper' pilot could make it fly backwards with one of the 4D Variable pitch engine/prop combo's

THAT would be special...

phil
Last edited by Smokin' Beaver; Nov 10, 2007 at 08:22 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 08:26 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,557 Posts
Saw one in action at the park today - quite a nice unit.
Looks like a very light wing loading too - very wide wing root chord.

Performs well.

phil
Old Nov 10, 2007, 01:53 PM
Heathcote, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
579 Posts
One vid, 3 planes trashed, good flying & good editing = great promo material. That plane won't make me a great pilot. The PA stuff is nicely put together & my Mini Katana flys very well.
My E-go 540 & Infineon fly well all with different expectations.
The build quality is what impresses me, can't do it for the same cost or weight & that quality takes forever to build.
slowflow is offline Find More Posts by slowflow
Old Nov 10, 2007, 06:32 PM
Molded Hotliner Destroyer
Perth, Australia
Joined Jul 2004
1,720 Posts
I found out long ago that the best plane won't turn you into the best pilot. Just watch a pro fly a simple $2 flat plate foamy and think, man that looks so easy, just push the stick that way or this way, I don't think so.

I reckon one of the best things to improve your 3D flying is try and learn to fly helis, they don't glide so well off throttle.

Give a pro any of the recent ARF offerings and they will make one look as easy to fly as any of the others. At the end of the day the only thing that changes is the minor differences in the way they react to stick inputs, but the same basic inputs still do the same things.

Having said that I didn't watch the video, I have a few gig of 3D videos and they all look the same.
Magnum9 is online now Find More Posts by Magnum9
Old Nov 10, 2007, 09:18 PM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,781 Posts
Quote:
I found out long ago that the best plane won't turn you into the best pilot. Just watch a pro fly a simple $2 flat plate foamy and think, man that looks so easy, just push the stick that way or this way, I don't think so.
Aint that the truth
Old Nov 17, 2007, 06:42 PM
Joined Dec 2004
87 Posts
I dunno about that - this plane is seriously easy to fly - got my first KE after about 3 attempts! Just roll her 90 with the aileron, leave that stick alone - trim with rudder only and you are doing a KE!

Hovers are coming along pretty quickly (i havent fully mastered them yet but i can get some nice 5 - 10 second ones) - having such a light wing loading and high power to weight ratio and LONG flight times if you want em - certainly gives me alot of stick time! Which in turn ramps the progression nicely.

Its definitely a plane i am proud to pull out of the car -Looks wise (its a shiny red one!) this plane is a definite eye catcher at my local parks! Have had a lot of positive interaction with my local park goers - being so quiet the audience loves it. I have talked about the plane so much that i now have a standard "spiel" for crew that come cruising up and want to know all about the plane and the hobby in general.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 07:38 PM
Model Bender
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2004
2,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum9
I reckon one of the best things to improve your 3D flying is try and learn to fly helis, they don't glide so well off throttle.
haha that warning should be printed on all heli boxes!

odf (past master of the 6ft high throttle chop)
OzDragonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzDragonFlyer
Old Nov 19, 2007, 05:23 AM
Molded Hotliner Destroyer
Perth, Australia
Joined Jul 2004
1,720 Posts
Having seen one of these plane fly in person (and still not having watched the video) I am converted! It is actually the first plane I have seen with my own eyes that has NO wing rock in harriers, I have read plenty of reviews of other planes that say this but haven't seen it until now. Could well be my next purchase.
Magnum9 is online now Find More Posts by Magnum9