SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 02, 2007, 03:44 PM
Genie Flyer
Walla Walla, WA 99362
Joined Feb 2005
392 Posts
Discussion
On Line Plans For Genie Line Of Thermal Ships

New "universal" plans for the FIVE scratch buildable ships in the Genie line of thermal sailplanes are now viewable at http://genie.rchomepage.com/. This shows how these ships are built before ordering a package from me that includes full sized plans.

The format is PDF. The file can be copied to a CD and taken to Kinko's, etc. for a full size print if one is wanted.

Use the "rotate" button to orient the plans to landscape. On my 19" rectangular screen, entering 55 percent for viewing size yielded 1/1 images.The larger nose block shown is 5" long on the drawn plans. Use the scroll bars or the "hand" tool to navigate around the plans.

The fuse profile on the plans is of the Big Genie. It's ply slab side(SS) pattern and the SS pattern of the other ships appear inverted by the top border. All fuses are identically built. See File 1. Tail pieces are identically built. See File 2. All bagged wings are identically built. See File 3. File 11 for the Easy LT/S, details a balsa skinned foam core wing.

If the Genie line is unfamiliar, go to the file "What's A Genie?" to learn about them. Look at the Gallery file to see pictures of ships built.

Friend "Augie" McKibben has started a new build to be detailed in his website [url]www.geniebuild.com[url] will be another source of information aside from several already in RCGroups.

Read the file "What's Available?" to see what's available to help complete one of these unique birds.
harleym is offline Find More Posts by harleym
Last edited by harleym; Nov 02, 2007 at 05:13 PM. Reason: wrong website address for Augie
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2007, 03:49 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,536 Posts
Harley, you ROCK!!!

Thank you for making these available!

WinchDoc
...who still sometimes dreams of Miskeet...
winchdoc is offline Find More Posts by winchdoc
Old Nov 02, 2007, 09:47 PM
Looking for lift...
Milford, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
489 Posts
Harley,

Thanks so much for sharing the Genie. I can hardly wait for my Easy LT/S order to come in. I do have one question are there any wing profile templates available for any of the wings? Or should I get a copy of a wing profile program to generate profiles for hot wire templates. If the later what airfoils are used for each, most of all the Easy LT/S?

Thanks again,
Doug
Vulture is offline Find More Posts by Vulture
Old Nov 02, 2007, 10:04 PM
Genie Flyer
Walla Walla, WA 99362
Joined Feb 2005
392 Posts
templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulture
Harley,

Thanks so much for sharing the Genie. I can hardly wait for my Easy LT/S order to come in. I do have one question are there any wing profile templates available for any of the wings? Or should I get a copy of a wing profile program to generate profiles for hot wire templates. If the later what airfoils are used for each, most of all the Easy LT/S?

Thanks again,
Doug

Doug. . .I sent you some today with your stuff. Make machine copies to have extras. H.
Old Nov 02, 2007, 10:09 PM
Genie Flyer
Walla Walla, WA 99362
Joined Feb 2005
392 Posts
Doug, see page 1, File 3 about airfoils for all but the Easy LT/S.
Old Nov 03, 2007, 07:48 PM
Looking for lift...
Milford, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
489 Posts
Harley,

Thank you very much I'll take a look at page 1 of file 3.

Doug
Old Nov 06, 2007, 08:49 PM
Looking for lift...
Milford, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
489 Posts
Harley,

My Genie package arrived yesterday. Thank you very much.

For those interested in what you get for your money I will post a few pictures. Not having a lot of building experience Harley suggested that I start with the Easy LT/S. And this time I thought that maybe I should listen. So that's what I ordered along with the RDS system bits and the Heavy Duty .042 spring steel blades.

Harley the spring steel blades remind me of some steel strapping tape we used to use to strap some heavy test equipment to a pallet with for shipping. Is it the same thing?

Doug aka Vulture
Old Nov 06, 2007, 09:06 PM
Looking for lift...
Milford, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
489 Posts
I had a long road trip today. So I thought I would try to hit a few hobby shops along the way and see if I could start gathering up some of the things I need for the Genie. Of course the thought occurred to me at the last minute.

I think I have enough 1/8 ply to build 6 fuselages. Yeah like I'm such a big builder. Well my flying buddy just did help me build a great workbench. (Thanks Al) It probably won't ever look this clean again. And we scored some great old 3/4 ply kitchen cabinets for free when we were on the way home with the workbench supplies. And the guy even delivered the cabinets. His wife wanted them gone. So now I have a very nice workbench and shop in the basement. Still not too sure about 6 Genie fuses though. Of course there are 5 different Genie's.

And I picked up a bunch of 1/16x4x36 balsa for wing skins. Next time I should probably just take the material list with me. I probably have enough skin material for a couple of wings. Guess that should be just about right.

Of course if I were to really stick my neck out. I would offer to do a build thread. And this would be from scratch. I still need to put together the foam cutting equipment. Would there be any interest in an Easy LT/S build thread from a rank beginner?

Doug
Last edited by Vulture; Nov 06, 2007 at 09:15 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2007, 10:08 PM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,801 Posts
Quote:
Of course if I were to really stick my neck out. I would offer to do a build thread. And this would be from scratch. I still need to put together the foam cutting equipment. Would there be any interest in an Easy LT/S build thread from a rank beginner?

Doug
Absolutely!

I'll be on your heals one of these days.

Dion
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Nov 07, 2007, 08:19 AM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Dec 2006
39 Posts
Doug,
I am in for the build.
Al
ASieg106 is offline Find More Posts by ASieg106
Old Nov 07, 2007, 09:02 PM
Looking for lift...
Milford, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
489 Posts
Al,

Since you built the workbench I think your excluded from voting here. I think we call that a conflict of interest... or something. Another fine mess you've gotten us into. Had to go and open my mouth.

Doug
Old Nov 08, 2007, 06:13 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,492 Posts
Hi Doug,

I think you should do a thread.

Ken
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Nov 08, 2007, 11:04 AM
Genie Flyer
Walla Walla, WA 99362
Joined Feb 2005
392 Posts
Quote:
Harley,

My Genie package arrived yesterday. Thank you very much.

For those interested in what you get for your money I will post a few pictures. Not having a lot of building experience Harley suggested that I start with the Easy LT/S. And this time I thought that maybe I should listen. So that's what I ordered along with the RDS system bits and the Heavy Duty .042 spring steel blades.

Harley the spring steel blades remind me of some steel strapping tape we used to use to strap some heavy test equipment to a pallet with for shipping. Is it the same thing?

Doug aka Vulture
Doug. . .The blades are #1075 or 1095 Blue Tempered Polished Spring Steel. I think that strapping steel you mention is similar and thinner stuff. Nice job you did in laying out and photographing the pack contents for all to see.
Old Nov 08, 2007, 11:11 AM
Genie Flyer
Walla Walla, WA 99362
Joined Feb 2005
392 Posts
Genie slab sides

Quote:
I had a long road trip today. So I thought I would try to hit a few hobby shops along the way and see if I could start gathering up some of the things I need for the Genie. Of course the thought occurred to me at the last minute.

I think I have enough 1/8 ply to build 6 fuselages. Yeah like I'm such a big builder. Well my flying buddy just did help me build a great workbench. (Thanks Al) It probably won't ever look this clean again. And we scored some great old 3/4 ply kitchen cabinets for free when we were on the way home with the workbench supplies. And the guy even delivered the cabinets. His wife wanted them gone. So now I have a very nice workbench and shop in the basement. Still not too sure about 6 Genie fuses though. Of course there are 5 different Genie's.

And I picked up a bunch of 1/16x4x36 balsa for wing skins. Next time I should probably just take the material list with me. I probably have enough skin material for a couple of wings. Guess that should be just about right.

Doug
Doug. . .I sure hope you are not intending to cut the fuse slab sides out of 1/8" ply. It's strictly 1/16".
Old Nov 08, 2007, 01:26 PM
Looking for lift...
Milford, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleym
Doug. . .I sure hope you are not intending to cut the fuse slab sides out of 1/8" ply. It's strictly 1/16".
Harley,

Good catch. I just ran down to the shop to double check. Consider that a typo. I did get 1/16, I still got three sheets. Way too much for one Genie, but there may be more than one in the bottle.

I did want to ask you about the CD. Is there anything on there that isn't on your web site? I haven't sat down long enough to look over it real closley to know if it's the same material or some additional. I do know one thing I need to print it out and READ the Manual. That could be a first, reading the instructions _before_ I start. But I do know that everytime I re-read through a section it makes more sense. And I'm sure it will make even more sense when I have all of the parts out in front of me. Heck it better or I'm in real trouble!

Doug