HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2002, 04:38 PM
Hellevoetsluis; the Netherlands
Joined Dec 2002
33 Posts
great planes Pete n Poke

hi all,

for my second building project I am interested in in the great planes Pete n Poke. but after the review i read online from R/C Modeler Magazine i'm not to sure any more.
I know the quality of great planes kits via my PT40 and some discusions with some vendors and that's all good. good explenations in the manual and decent cutting of the wooden parts. I know that GP kits are usualy a little heavy but thats no problem. it's more in the construction i'm looking for hidden probelms
so I was wondering if any of you had build this plane and ran in to the same problems as RCM or did they just a friday afternoon rush job/ monday morning special in their hands.?

so has any one got any tips before i purchase this kit.

regards.
vinze is offline Find More Posts by vinze
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2002, 05:39 PM
Ah nuts, almost made it
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jul 2002
228 Posts
Hi Vinze, welcome.

Great planes is a good company and I think most of their planes are fairly easy to build and fly.

I've never heard of the Pete n Poke before, maybe you could post a link to the site or some pictures??

PJ
pgjoh1 is offline Find More Posts by pgjoh1
Old Dec 11, 2002, 03:49 AM
Joined Dec 2002
33 Posts
Yes most ones are fairly easy to build but that is just the thing. all Great Planes reviews by thrid parties are saying they are good to build except this one witch needs alot of alignment and sanding to fit. so was it just the kit the reviever got or is it the whole series

It's this one I am thinking of building.

Regards,

vinze
Last edited by vinze; Dec 11, 2002 at 03:52 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 04:46 PM
Ah nuts, almost made it
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jul 2002
228 Posts
I don't know if it was the whole seiries or not but if you are buying it from a hobby store, the people there should be able to tell you about it.

PJ
Old Dec 11, 2002, 04:55 PM
Joined Dec 2002
33 Posts
ihave allready asked a few vendors and they come up with the GP models are good to build story every time. but no real knowledge/firsthand on this specific model. ...but hey they ARE vendors....
that's why I wanted to check with someone who has actualy build the plane for some first hand experince or nightmares.

regards,

vincent
Old Dec 11, 2002, 07:35 PM
Canada's East Coast, "An Ocean Playground"
Joined Apr 2002
4,188 Posts
...did a search..

check here..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...der=descending

..This will lead you to ezone articles on pete n poke....appears to be a heavy plane, requiring lightening.....

Bill
retiredVTT is offline Find More Posts by retiredVTT
Old Dec 11, 2002, 07:57 PM
Ah nuts, almost made it
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jul 2002
228 Posts
I clicked on the link but it just feels like I'm going round in circles!!
Old Dec 11, 2002, 09:27 PM
Canada's East Coast, "An Ocean Playground"
Joined Apr 2002
4,188 Posts
...click on the link...this will bring up a list of threads in which the term .."pete n poke" will be mentioned and the term will be shown in the color red....

...now click on each of the thread to find what is being said about the pete n poke.....

..some threads will give you good info, whilke other threads will just mention it in refering to something else .....

(really the search capability is one of the best assets about the ezone.....giving you info on just about ANY facet of this hobby.)

Example ...try this thread...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=pete+n+poke

Bill
retiredVTT is offline Find More Posts by retiredVTT
Last edited by retiredVTT; Dec 11, 2002 at 09:31 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 05:24 AM
Joined Dec 2002
33 Posts
as am not a Newbe in the forum buisiness I know how to use a search function I had already done that before even posting something on this thread.

BUT all but one of the displayed treads contained anything on the construction of positive or neagative. side on the building of this aeroplane. the other ones only had reference to for instance a guy named Pete who poked some holes in the sky with his CAP232 so that's of no help.

the one that did was of converting a PETE and Poke to electric and this member has recieved a mail from me.

So once again i'm still left with the question Has any one have some positive, negative things , tips and tripcswhen building the GP Pete N POke

regards,

vincent
Old May 29, 2008, 05:47 PM
Suspended Account
holmes county ohio
Joined Apr 2007
113 Posts
pete n poke sport 40 gas

unless you have alot of knowledge about what is a good design and a bad one....dont build it. the wing will come off. it happened to me on my maiden flight. no major damage....however....i had to redo the the design they had that held on the wing. i read the review before i bought this kit...spent countless hours building it straight and true....done a superb covering job....took time on the strip to taxi it around and get to know it....then i felt it was time to fly. the wing glue joints failed on rotation. just not enough strength there on top to hold this big wing. i posted an alert to this on the forums....and what i did to make it stronger....however....as they state in the review....they looped it....i would never attempt this....its a very weak design.....they should have used aluminum frame....bolted into the fuse....then tapped it to accept the 1/4-20 wing bolts. its too late for model....unless i completely cut it open....and start over. hell it aint even flown yet......maybe if it fails again....then i have a winter project. i would never buy another one though....the review was very misleading!!!
edmoor is offline Find More Posts by edmoor
Old May 29, 2008, 07:01 PM
Dallas, Texas area
Joined Sep 2003
875 Posts
How did you manage to find a thread that has been dead since Dec 12, 2002 ?
chashint is offline Find More Posts by chashint
Old May 31, 2008, 01:43 PM
Suspended Account
holmes county ohio
Joined Apr 2007
113 Posts
pete n poke sprt 40

you all save some money.....dont bother building the pete n poke.....unless you plan on totally wasting your time....then redoing the design that holds down the wing....im telling you....its a bad design.....it will fail!!! i sent my opinion on this design to great planes....all i got back was gee....were sorry!!!!!!! they probably laughed all the way to the bank!!!!
edmoor is offline Find More Posts by edmoor
Old May 31, 2008, 04:57 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,739 Posts
There is a thread which details the problems edmoor had with his P&P and some suggested remedies. The cabane (fuselage-wing) struts are too weak, but that's easy to fix.

The plane is a nice flying slow-ish 3 channel flyer. Flies very much like a Senior Kadet (which Iprefer, frankly).

I can't imagine how articles in Ezone would help if you're glow powering yours. look at the similar threads at the bottom of this article...

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old May 31, 2008, 10:26 PM
Canucklehead
GTA, Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
827 Posts
Someone really hates the Pete n Poke, but apparently loves ellipses. You bought a bad plane Edmoor, live with it. I've acquired quite a few that ARFs and RTFs that barely fly. You only lost $70 assuming it's not fixable. The design of the PnP is very bad though. Cabane struts need reinforcing.
orenda635 is offline Find More Posts by orenda635