HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2007, 11:15 PM
12/17/1903
Joined Oct 2007
74 Posts
Discussion
Anyone flying the wasp v3?

I've been looking at this heli and it looks to have alot of nice equipment for the price. I'm a complete beginner flying, but the heli seems pretty decent to me. Anyone with any experience flying these?
danieljames is offline Find More Posts by danieljames
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2007, 05:40 AM
Joined Sep 2005
914 Posts
You should consider the esky brand or blade, they are better quality
4RCHELICOPTERSPA is offline Find More Posts by 4RCHELICOPTERSPA
Old Nov 02, 2007, 06:49 AM
LV4 & HB CP2 Pilot
Liverpool, Merseyside, UK
Joined Jul 2007
614 Posts
Is it this model?

Hmm, I would take the advice of 4rchelicopterspa, and go with one of the better known brands. What looks like a good deal, and I am not talking specifically about the Wasp, may turn out to be a more expensive option in the long run. The advantage of the Esky and Eflight ranges is that you can readily get hold of virtually every component with relative ease, as well as being to upgrade and modify very easily.

Personally, I also think it is rather ugly!

Its entirely up to you though!

apmc2203 is offline Find More Posts by apmc2203
Old Nov 02, 2007, 06:56 AM
12/17/1903
Joined Oct 2007
74 Posts
I hear ya. You think it's ugly huh? I rather liked it. Lots of aluminum parts, brushless system with belt drive tail for $164. Of course the belt cp is only $190 with basically the same components. How do you feel about the flight characteristics of the belt cp over the king v2?
Old Nov 21, 2007, 09:46 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
154 Posts
This heli is smaller than King V2... The smaller the heli, the harder it is to fly.
Tink is offline Find More Posts by Tink
Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:24 PM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
That heli has a good airframe. It is a Century 3D Pro clone. Well not the Wasp itself but the Mosquito which I prefer. But unlike the 3D Pro this is now belt driven.

This heli's tail share many design features as the Freestyle Hobby belt mods for the Honeybee FP/CP2. In fact they share tail drive parts. Having flown the Freestyle CP2 as well as the 3D Pro, I believe this Skyartec will be good too if not better.

The Mosquito seems to have a better head build than a CP2. If you are looking at something better than a Honeybee CP2, this is it.

Performance of course depends on the electronics. I cannot comment on what it has in the package. I personally would get ony the airframe and build good electronics around it.
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
Old Dec 04, 2007, 02:38 PM
Joined Nov 2007
161 Posts
Everyone can say what they want, I ordered one and have it and have flown it... Its light years ahead of the Honeybee CP and Axe CP when it comes to construction.

I much rather replace a belt every few months over changing overheating tail rotor motors every couple of flights.

The heli is rock solid and flys exceptionally well right out of the box.... Just because you dont see the name "flyartec" flashing in front of your eyes every 2 seconds doesnt mean they havent been in business for a long time and it certainly doesnt mean its junk (look at HDX for example everyone jumped on them TREX CLONE TREX CLONE.. but you get a better helicopter with better standard equipment for 1/2 the price), they have been and will continue to be, Many Many people have Wasp v1, v2 and this is just the better model up using belt drive instead of crappy electric motor to drive the tail which the AXE and CP2 use.

For the price you will not get what your getting from the other 2 companies which is

Head Lock Gyro
Brushless motor (and a darn good one at that)
ESC
Aluminum Frame
Aluminum Skids.

As for parts many many people carry the parts for it and its previous versions.

I have also flown the Axe and CP2 as a beginner and they absolutely sucked for a beginner... The Wasp flys much much better and much more stable.

I say go for it.. and its not ugly at all, the picture does not do it justice.

Suggest you goto Youtube and search for WASP V3 and watch the video of the 6 channel version, its the exact same bird just one is 4 channel and the other is 6 channel Collective pitch... and you will see exactly what it looks like.

Here save you the trouble ==>
SkyArtec RC HELICOPTER wasp video (1 min 52 sec)

Sorry for the rant, but people should just knock a product without first having experience with it or the company.
DierWolf is offline Find More Posts by DierWolf
Old Dec 04, 2007, 02:47 PM
Joined Nov 2007
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljames
I hear ya. You think it's ugly huh? I rather liked it. Lots of aluminum parts, brushless system with belt drive tail for $164. Of course the belt cp is only $190 with basically the same components. How do you feel about the flight characteristics of the belt cp over the king v2?

If your a beginner stick with Fixed pitch to start... I also have a belt CP.. very good heli with good motor but the Esky servos tend to konk out very soon... so thats one of the first things you will be replacing along with feathering shafts and main gears and blades as a beginner.

I would not suggest the CP2 or Axe as they are simply a handful which is why most people who say the smaller the heli the harder it is to fly because most of them started out with those exact 2 when there are much more stable products out there such as the one in this topic.

So again i say stick with fixed pitch like the 4channel Wasp V3... if you want to make the huge jump and learn from Collective pitch go with the King 2 to start. The CP i feel will be a bit much for you.

Sorry to answer your question the king is just a little smaller than the Belt CP...... and of coz the Belt comes with better motor.... King 2 is easier to work on when it comes to changing Main Gear ect ect...

Flying.. well the CP has much more power to it.. (Brushless motor) and higher headspeed naturally feels more stable and acts more stable...
Old Dec 04, 2007, 03:27 PM
12/17/1903
Joined Oct 2007
74 Posts
Thanks very much for the replies. What are your flight times with the wasp Dierwolf? Are you in the states? I haven't seen anyone in the states with spare parts for the wasp, which is a concern for me as a beginner. I can fly my HBFP in a 8'x12' box right now. That's about the best I can do.
Old Dec 05, 2007, 02:33 AM
12/17/1903
Joined Oct 2007
74 Posts
They posted that vid of the wasp v3 on nov. 7th.

Can any experienced flyer's comment on the helicopter vid? How does the helicopter appear?
Last edited by danieljames; Dec 05, 2007 at 02:40 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2007, 01:06 PM
Joined Nov 2007
161 Posts
Quote:
Thanks very much for the replies. What are your flight times with the wasp Dierwolf? Are you in the states? I haven't seen anyone in the states with spare parts for the wasp, which is a concern for me as a beginner. I can fly my HBFP in a 8'x12' box right now. That's about the best I can do.
No i am in in the caribbean... I deal with a R/C shop that has an Ebay store, buy all my stuff from him.... search ebay for 11bkm he ships everything in 3 days without fail i have bought many heli's from him including parts.. if you dont see the parts on ebay dont worry simply email him he has them in stock.

Link to his 4 channel version $109
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=013

Or you can call the US Distrubutor/Dealer to get what you want 1-626-5936857

Flight times with the stock battery is 8-10 minutes, you can buy higher capacity and fly for longer if you like. I myself have mulitple 7.4 lipos' and 3 chargers so its no big deal for me.

Also on one of the sites selling this had a review from some idiot saying the battery dont fit with the canopy on, thats pure BS!...

Its a great heli and for the price your getting some damn good equipment.

PS the 6 channel 3d version is considered and listed as V4 on the Skyartec site when it comes to spares as the head is naturally different.
Last edited by DierWolf; Dec 05, 2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2007, 01:07 PM
Joined Nov 2007
161 Posts
Quote:
They posted that vid of the wasp v3 on nov. 7th.

Can any experienced flyer's comment on the helicopter vid? How does the helicopter appear?
Appears inthe video very Stable and Well behaved.. thats the 6 channel 3d version, which i will have one coming next week, i already have the 4 channel version and it flys just as good as you see in the video.
Old Jan 03, 2008, 06:31 AM
Heli Hooligan
London
Joined Dec 2006
6,062 Posts
I bought a Wasp V3 on impulse while on holiday in Singapore. I was looking for a digital camera in Sim Lin Square (an electronics mall) and saw a load of helicopters in one of the shop windows. I was on holiday so how could I not be distracted I asked the guy in the store to remove the nasty looking Tx and Rx from the package so he gave me a $50 discount. When I got home I fitted a Spektrum AR6100 to use with my JR X9303 2.4GHz. Then I realized it has only 2 servos on the swashplate and FP. At least it has a brushless motor. I looked on the Skyartec website and saw that there is a 6ch CCPM version with extra servo, metal swashaplate and head parts. I'd like to upgrade it if I can find a supplier of the correct parts. At the minimum I guess I'll need an extra servo and swashplate. Anyone know what else I'll need and where I can get the corect parts?
mahbouni is online now Find More Posts by mahbouni
Last edited by mahbouni; Jan 03, 2008 at 06:53 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2008, 12:31 PM
Idle up!
USA, VT
Joined Nov 2004
5,802 Posts
Quote:
Everyone can say what they want, I ordered one and have it and have flown it... Its light years ahead of the Honeybee CP and Axe CP when it comes to construction.
Pretty sure he wasnt comparing to AXE or HB.. but the freestyle mod which is a fairly high quality belt tail system you can add to either of those helis.
PLATINUM is offline Find More Posts by PLATINUM
Old Jan 05, 2008, 10:15 PM
Heli Hooligan
London
Joined Dec 2006
6,062 Posts
Well I flew mine and it was poo poo compared to my Gaui Hurricane 200. Infact my Walkera 52 flew circles around it. It was stable but the main problem was the tail kept drifiting and sometimes it blew out completely. Anyway I've made some more modifications and upgraded some of the components with better ones I had spare. I replaced the gyro with a Logictech LTS-2100T and the tail servo with a Futaba 3154. I also reduced the blade pitch with the top links and upped the throttle curve at mid stick. Hopefully tomorrow it will fly nicely.
mahbouni is online now Find More Posts by mahbouni