HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2007, 09:27 PM
Lost in the Sauce
Lansing, MI
Joined Oct 2007
72 Posts
Discussion
Footy side by side comparisons

I have been reading the different footy threads that are here and I got to wondering.

Has anyone run them with the V-12? I'm not looking to see if the gospecter or isobaryachts are faster, that is asking for an unfortunate discussion. I just wonder how victors hold up against what I see here.
cereald8r is offline Find More Posts by cereald8r
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2007, 12:54 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Depends on what you want to achieve from your boat and what you are trying to compare.

Apples & Apples as they say..

Comparisons on what Criteria?
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 02, 2007, 01:22 AM
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia!!
Joined Feb 2007
449 Posts
victor always make a nice little boat, if thats what they sail near you, race with the fleet!!!

(my 507 is a nice boat to sail, sure it will go ok racing!)
gospectredotcom is offline Find More Posts by gospectredotcom
Old Nov 02, 2007, 07:21 AM
Skipper
Apex NC
Joined Jun 2006
226 Posts
A V12 took 3rd in the Raleigh regatta. Full results are here.
http://footy.rcsailing.net/racing/2007raleigh.php

It's a good boat. It ran with a large custom rig but so did the top finishers that day.
tallastro is offline Find More Posts by tallastro
Old Nov 02, 2007, 09:43 AM
Lost in the Sauce
Lansing, MI
Joined Oct 2007
72 Posts
mostly I wondered if it handled as well. Looking at the movies that I have seen on youtube by the builders that post here, I really like the looks of their boats. Since I am not a build from scratch kind of guy, (yet) I wondered what the differences were, if anyone had sailed the V12 and any other type of footy.
cereald8r is offline Find More Posts by cereald8r
Old Nov 03, 2007, 06:19 AM
Wilson, NC
Joined Jun 2006
708 Posts
V-12

I have sailed only the V-12, but have watched several of the others, Kittiewake, 507, etc at Raleigh. I did not know what to expect out of it, but was pleasantly surprised at the performance, as was everyone. To me, the stock sails are best for a moderate wind, or more. That is what prompted the larger rig. The boat handles it well except when the wind gets up above 6-7mph. Then the nose is getting burried, but amazingly with not much loss of control, even down wind. My biggest problem was trying to get used to rounding the leeward mark without loosing speed. I am used to an EC-12 which will coast and with any Footy there is no coasting.

Tallastro has posted pictures of all the boats that sailed at the Raleigh, NC regatta if you want to look and compare. I think for the person that does not want to scratch build, the V-12 needs to be considered. The price is competitive, delivery was prompt(4 days for coast to coast) and the kit is complete with good instructions. I knew what I was getting as I have owned a Victor Soling for many years. I spent aproximately $5 to make a new rig and sail for my Footy. As well as it sailed, I will probably still experiment with a uni-rig and so forth because it is easy and fun to do with this size craft.

Disclamer: I am not associated with Victor products in any way. Just a fan with a Footy.

Dick
DProseus is offline Find More Posts by DProseus
Old Nov 03, 2007, 06:29 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,386 Posts
I commend the above posters for their civil and informative responses. Good work, men.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Nov 04, 2007, 01:26 AM
Joined Jul 2007
70 Posts
I am most interested by Dick Proseus' comments on the V12. I bought one of the first ones since I thought that one of the class committee should have hands on experience of what a mainstream manufacturer was doing with Footys. As is usual with these things, I have only got round to finishing it quite recently.

Here in Britain - and on the coast at that - it does not sparkle with its standard rig. It nose-dives and is very easily overpowered. Definitely not able to cope with a Kittiwake, early pre-production 507 ... I suspect that it is very much a case of horses for courses

To match Dick's propriety, I do have an interest in that I drew the original lines of the 507 hull. This interest is in no sense financial.

A
angus Richardson is offline Find More Posts by angus Richardson