HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:07 PM
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Oct 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
Make sure it doesn't fall into the recall category.

As far as I know with VB you can fly on public land that isn't controlled by Parks and Rec. Lynnhaven middle has had parks and rec watch us fly because just the other side of the fence is a public park, they were waiting for someone to land there to bust us.

From 2012 VB Parks and Recs rules. Prohibited activities, "Flying motor-powered or remote-controlled-aircraft, rockets, or gliders"

http://www.vbgov.com/government/depa...park-rules.pdf

VB city parks that fall into this category.
Code:
    Bayville Farms Park
    Beach Garden Park
    City View Park
    Great Neck Park
    Little Island Park
    Lynnhaven Park
    Marshview Park
    Mount Trashmore Park
    Munden Point Park
    Providence Park
    Red Mill Farms Park
    Red Wing Park
    Woodstock Park
    Williams Farm Park
Found out the hard way trying to fly at Red Wing, I got run off.
I'll copy and paste the letter I received from the mayor. It isn't illegal at most VB parks now. I think redwing is on the safe fly zone
Av3ng3r247 is offline Find More Posts by Av3ng3r247
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Oct 2012
34 Posts
The much anticipated letter

After reading this I took away that we can fly at most parks we just need to arrange a set time and have that approved by the city. This would kind of strengthen the group too because we'd know where we were flying and which days. Perhaps we can alternate sites on different days so 7 sites , each one used once a weeks.

Date
October 23, 2012
Mr. xxxxxx,
Thank you for your recent email to Mayor Sessoms regarding the flying of remote/radio controlled aircraft in our City Park System.
We do allow the flying of remote/radio controlled aircraft in our City Parks on a case-by-case basis, and a permit issued by our Parks and Natural Offices is required. As you probably know, our larger City Parks that can support the flying of aircraft are heavily used and offer a wide variety of park amenities, most of which are not conducive to the flying of aircraft; however, our Parks and Natural Areas staff have previously identified a couple of city park sites/locations that we feel could support the flying of aircraft during most of the desired times, but that inventory is extremely limited. They will be more than happy to discuss those options with you and your group. We are also aware that some flying members and/or groups have coordinated use of schools and/or other private property for their use.
Additionally, while we appreciate the passion and support for your hobby, please understand in advance that we probably do not have the park land/space available in a particular area to meet your request nor the needs of all special interest groups and still attempt to meet the over-arching needs of our community for leisure recreational amenities. Generally, when new park system property is acquired, it is for the development of parks to meet current community needs and shortfalls, or for preservation/conservation.
Please contact Rick Rowe or Mike Parkman in our Parks and Natural Areas Office at 385-1120 (Rick) or 385-1189 (Mike) to further discuss your ideas and the locations you have in mind.
Thank you again for your email.
Sincerely,
Michael Kalvort, CPRE
Director
RFR/mjk/amf
PARKS AND RECREATON
ADMINISTRATION
(757)-385-1100
FAX (757) 385-1130
TTY: 711
MUNICIPAL CENTER
BUILDING 21
2408 COURTHOUSE DRIVE
VIRGINIA BEACH, VA 23456-9106
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:14 PM
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2010
505 Posts
Williams Park would be a great place for a group to fly during the off soccer season.
SimpsonJ is offline Find More Posts by SimpsonJ
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:09 PM
Choirs?? What Choirs I'm Fly'n
Joined Oct 2011
625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpsonJ View Post
Williams Park would be a great place for a group to fly during the off soccer season.
Yes it is. I have flown there before and had a great time and good space to fly.
lifeisgoodflying is offline Find More Posts by lifeisgoodflying
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:27 PM
FPV addict
Joined Mar 2011
1,208 Posts
When I first started flying around here I flew at the Virginia beach soccer complex. The head grounds keep came over and we started talking and he's fine with us flying there so long as no fuel is flown from the center field, there's lights and a fence in the way and almost no of us use fuel. So there's one more place and its HUGE. Here's the address
2276 Recreation Drive,Virginia Beach, VA 23456
Sniperp is offline Find More Posts by Sniperp
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:59 PM
United States, VA, Norfolk
Joined Oct 2006
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperp View Post
When I first started flying around here I flew at the Virginia beach soccer complex. The head grounds keep came over and we started talking and he's fine with us flying there so long as no fuel is flown from the center field, there's lights and a fence in the way and almost no of us use fuel. So there's one more place and its HUGE. Here's the address
2276 Recreation Drive,Virginia Beach, VA 23456
That looks like a really nice place to fly. Do you know if it's always busy or packed with sports players?
Roen is offline Find More Posts by Roen
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:02 PM
FPV addict
Joined Mar 2011
1,208 Posts
No idea, when I flew there it was February so no one was using the fields.
Sniperp is offline Find More Posts by Sniperp
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:12 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
Red Wing would be suitable as well. It would be nice if we could get them to let us use that park on Saturday mornings. It's large enough and out of the way enough. At the time of the morning we fly I can't really see much regular park traffic either.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:23 AM
Joined Oct 2011
625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roen View Post
That looks like a really nice place to fly. Do you know if it's always busy or packed with sports players?
If its soccer season then its packed of course but im not sure what other sports play there. The field is huge cause they have like 8 soccer fields or more. Something like that..
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:25 AM
Joined Oct 2012
34 Posts
We should come up with a tentative schedule of where we would lie to fly and when to present to the mayors staff and obtain a permit. Then no matter who says what we are in the clear.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:26 PM
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,488 Posts
How about the field right next to the school?.
Nelapaty is offline Find More Posts by Nelapaty
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:12 PM
Joined Oct 2011
625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelapaty View Post
How about the field right next to the school?.
Doesnt someone own that land? Aren't they growing stuff over there?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:39 PM
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,488 Posts
Im Not eactly sure but heard from Matt who was working with parks and recreation to get us a place to fly. I believe from our conversation He mentioned those will be turned to baseball fields.

They havent grown anything in the last 2 years..
Nelapaty is offline Find More Posts by Nelapaty
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Oct 2011
625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelapaty View Post
Im Not eactly sure but heard from Matt who was working with parks and recreation to get us a place to fly. I believe from our conversation He mentioned those will be turned to baseball fields.

They havent grown anything in the last 2 years..
That would be a great place since we already right there.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:12 PM
Fly, Crash, Re-Build, Fly
Joined May 2012
550 Posts
The other day I was driving down Seaboard road and there is a new Wave church with a nice parking lot next to huge field. There is also another new church off Indian River road next to a huge field. We would need to get permission, and Sunday mornings would of course be out the question, but they would probably lest us.
Win2k8R2 is offline Find More Posts by Win2k8R2