HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2012, 04:06 PM
Turn up the G's !!!!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jul 2010
730 Posts
I'm probly thinking around 8ish and I may just have to ignore my phone for the day so work can't call me in
dskalski is offline Find More Posts by dskalski
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2012, 06:01 PM
Eagleye
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Joined Oct 2008
584 Posts
Count me in for tomorrow. Around 9
EAGLEYE-1 is online now Find More Posts by EAGLEYE-1
Old May 27, 2012, 06:26 PM
Fly, Crash, Re-Build, Fly
Joined May 2012
541 Posts
Are you guys going to 3 oaks? I was thinking about going to Lynnhaven middle.
Win2k8R2 is online now Find More Posts by Win2k8R2
Old May 27, 2012, 06:44 PM
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
Joined Jan 2004
623 Posts
Wish I could tomorrow! Gotta go back to flying big planes tomorrow morning!
pylot2b is offline Find More Posts by pylot2b
Old May 28, 2012, 02:05 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
Joined Feb 2012
5,435 Posts
I went yesterday and ended up crashing two planes. ARGGG.

Back to the bench. Also of note one was the new Freak I was working on. Exact same cause as last crash. This time with larger diameter push rod (no way it failed) and a satellite along with my RX (no way this failed, no flashing lights upon recovery). The exact same thing happened. It attained a down attitude and the elevator lost all control authority, was able to apply aileron, in conjunction with full up elevator, aileron was only thing to respond. So I have to lean towards a modification I made to the original design, though I didn't think it would have that type of negative impact, it may not be that modification though, the only way to find out is to build another.

So I'm at my bench.

My modification was that the plans showed a single piece of fan fold as a horizontal stabilizer with a piece of cf running the width for rigidity. I used two pieces of fff and no cf. In doing so I think I placed a portion of the surface in a spot too low on the fuse to have any effect in a certain attitude and moment in the plane.

I'll build one last one to test this theory then that's it, I'm moving to another build.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old May 28, 2012, 08:31 PM
Balsa Rules
USA, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2011
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn69 View Post
Well gressfield was fun today. except i snaped my mini katana in half.
Anyone want this thing. airframe and the aileron servos, There blue bird. Had the rudder servo fail at full left. 20 and its your the 2 servos are worth more. Im going to stick to bigger airframes. Dont really wanna mess with it.
I seen that crash.
showtimebob is offline Find More Posts by showtimebob
Old May 31, 2012, 11:14 AM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,514 Posts
Hey guys, I'm not here to start an argument, but does anyone know a Joe Hollner in Virginia Beach who happens to own this YouTube channel? https://www.youtube.com/user/IloveSPIDERZ

Because, I was just contacted by someone at the FAA who received a complaint about one of his videos, which for some reason was attributed to me. The complaint was made against me by name, and they found my email address from my website, but that YouTube channel is not mine and those are not my videos. Apparently I am now the go-to guy to blame for any RC video in Virginia that people don't like, despite the fact that I am no longer living in Virginia...

I ended up having an interesting conversation with the FAA administrator about the legalities of FPV, despite the fact that the videos he was concerned about did not even appear to have been flown FPV. It was just a regular RC plane with a camera on it to record only and not transmit a live video feed. In the end, the FAA person only confirmed what I knew all along--there is no binding regulation prohibiting FPV flight, and the only time the FAA could take action against an FPVer is if their flight rose to the level of being careless or reckless. I assured him that I am always careful with my FPV flights and will continue to do so, and pointed out that the videos he was referencing were not made by me.

So if anyone knows this Joe Hollner guy, you might want to let him know the FAA isn't happy with him. And if anyone does feel the need to report me to the FAA again, please at least do me the courtesy of reporting a video that was actually made by me and not someone else. Thanks.
prelator is online now Find More Posts by prelator
Old May 31, 2012, 11:24 AM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelator View Post
Hey guys, I'm not here to start an argument, but does anyone know a Joe Hollner in Virginia Beach who happens to own this YouTube channel? https://www.youtube.com/user/IloveSPIDERZ

Because, I was just contacted by someone at the FAA who received a complaint about one of his videos, which for some reason was attributed to me. The complaint was made against me by name, and they found my email address from my website, but that YouTube channel is not mine and those are not my videos. Apparently I am now the go-to guy to blame for any RC video in Virginia that people don't like, despite the fact that I am no longer living in Virginia...

I ended up having an interesting conversation with the FAA administrator about the legalities of FPV, despite the fact that the videos he was concerned about did not even appear to have been flown FPV. It was just a regular RC plane with a camera on it to record only and not transmit a live video feed. In the end, the FAA person only confirmed what I knew all along--there is no binding regulation prohibiting FPV flight, and the only time the FAA could take action against an FPVer is if their flight rose to the level of being careless or reckless. I assured him that I am always careful with my FPV flights and will continue to do so, and pointed out that the videos he was referencing were not made by me.

So if anyone knows this Joe Hollner guy, you might want to let him know the FAA isn't happy with him. And if anyone does feel the need to report me to the FAA again, please at least do me the courtesy of reporting a video that was actually made by me and not someone else. Thanks.
This looks like the guy....

https://www.facebook.com/joe.hollner...ollner?sk=wall
Mike Freas is online now Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old May 31, 2012, 11:48 AM
Sic Semper Tyrannis
USA, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Oct 2003
955 Posts
Quote:
...And if anyone does feel the need to report me to the FAA again, please at least do me the courtesy of reporting a video that was actually made by me and not someone else. Thanks.
Judging by the way you flew here - I'd say it's only a matter of time before someone in Colorado reports you.
craab is online now Find More Posts by craab
Old May 31, 2012, 11:51 AM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,514 Posts
Actually I'm guessing this report was done by someone who doesn't like FPV in retaliation for an online petition I'm currently running asking the AMA to relax its rules on FPV (it would be a striking coincidence otherwise). But thanks for your confidence.
prelator is online now Find More Posts by prelator
Old May 31, 2012, 11:55 AM
Sic Semper Tyrannis
USA, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Oct 2003
955 Posts
Quote:
Actually I'm guessing this report was done by someone who doesn't like FPV in retaliation for an online petition I'm currently running asking the AMA to relax its rules on FPV (it would be a striking coincidence otherwise). But thanks for your confidence.
No problem.

I have complete confidence that you will hurt someone; between your shoddy equipment and complete abandonment of common sense.
craab is online now Find More Posts by craab
Last edited by craab; May 31, 2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old May 31, 2012, 07:38 PM
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
Joined Jan 2004
623 Posts
Patrick,

I will say I had nothing to do with this. I just got home from being gone the last 4 days. Not sure who called the FAA but just be careful.

Tyler
pylot2b is offline Find More Posts by pylot2b
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:35 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
Joined Feb 2012
5,435 Posts
I'll be heading out to Grassfield tomorrow.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Jun 01, 2012, 07:03 PM
Turn up the G's !!!!
Joined Jul 2010
730 Posts
I'm stuck on this... I have a couple sets of electronics laying around and i'm about to hop into another project. I'm not sure what to build as of yet. I've narrowed it down to these:

Funtana:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1076559

Spitfire:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649816

Shumate F-14
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...02#post3793584

Kinda leaning toward the F-14 because of cool factor but I also like the other 2...
dskalski is offline Find More Posts by dskalski
Old Jun 01, 2012, 07:12 PM
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,464 Posts
F 14 sounds good. will see ya guys tomorrow if the weather holds..
Nelapaty is online now Find More Posts by Nelapaty