Prohibited Activities
• Alcoholic beverages • Profanity • Kiddie Pools
• Washing vehicles • Camping • Sidewalk Chalk
• Hitting golf balls • Silly string
• Horseback riding • Confetti
• Flying motor-powered or remote-controlled-aircraft, rockets, or gliders
• Balloons, balloon activities, and water balloons

http://www.vbgov.com/government/depa...park-rules.pdf

You may get away with it, but it is not allowed - in any city park. As responsible hobbyists, we should abide by rules, so that we don't come into a bad light and potentially lose the few flying spots we do have - i.e. school yards. One incident is all that it would take.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:44 PM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,609 Posts
Hmm, interesting. At least it's just in the park publications and not the city municipal code like Norfolk, which classifies it as a misdemeanor.

So yeah, I think I'll avoid Trashmore which is probably the only one they really care about. I've been flying at Williams Farm Park for a while and nobody's ever bothered me, so I'm probably good there even if it is technically a VA Beach city park. A couple times I've seen another guy with a Radian flying there too, so I don't think anybody minds.
prelator is online now Find More Posts by prelator
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:07 PM
Joined Sep 2010
70 Posts
AirShow

Oceana Air show is next weekend and some of the warbirds started to roll in our hangar. I'll take some more pics next week when they show up. Nice looking Texan here.
Lamdingo is offline Find More Posts by Lamdingo
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:47 PM
Sic Semper Tyrannis
USA, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Oct 2003
955 Posts
Lam, I sent you a PM...
craab is offline Find More Posts by craab
Old Sep 19, 2011, 07:15 PM
Joined Sep 2010
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craab View Post
Lam, I sent you a PM...
I got It. I told him. He will let you know.
Lamdingo is offline Find More Posts by Lamdingo
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:57 AM
FPV Browncoat
Joined Mar 2011
1,609 Posts
So I haven't been able to fly much lately because of the awful weather, but I did get in a great FPV flight from the Williams Farm Park site on Wednesday. I know a couple other people fly there so I thought you might want to see the video of the flight:
FPV at Williams Farm Park 9-26-11 (15 min 54 sec)

It's rather long since I didn't edit it down, but for the first half of the flight I flew in a broad circle about 3,000+ feet away from my launch point, doing a grand tour of the whole area. Then for the second half of the flight I came back down and practice flying low to the ground, buzzing the field, the school, and the nearby construction site. That's the most interesting part, so if you just want to see that part skip to around 10 minutes in.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 11:40 PM
FPV Browncoat
Joined Mar 2011
1,609 Posts
So this thread has been rather dead lately. I guess nobody else has been flying with the awful weather the last few weeks.

Anyway, I just made my first official FPV music video, flying over the current Virginia Beach landfill today. Check it out:

FPV at the Dump (Hawk Sky Over VA Beach Landfill) (4 min 6 sec)

I found a good field to takeoff and land from right next to the main VA Beach landfill, which is near where I go to law school. I flew my FPV Dynam Hawk Sky about 4,000 feet away from myself (new distance record), and did a little soaring over the main hill. There are some mild acrobatics toward the end when I decided to do a few barrel rolls before landing. Sorry the footage is a little shaky. Even with a gyro helping stabilize roll, my Hawk Sky still isn't all that stable in the pretty much constant 15mph winds around here.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 08:52 AM
Eagleye
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Joined Oct 2008
587 Posts
Just did a recon on 3-0. The grass is frehly cut. Anyone care to fly with old "Pappy" tomorrow am at 3-0?
EAGLEYE-1 is offline Find More Posts by EAGLEYE-1
Old Oct 07, 2011, 09:23 AM
Pants Up, Don't Loot!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLEYE-1 View Post
Just did a recon on 3-0. The grass is frehly cut. Anyone care to fly with old "Pappy" tomorrow am at 3-0?
I'm dying for some flying Alan, and would like to make it down there. Unfortunately I have to be somewhere at 0900 so I'll only be able to get in a quick session nearby at Windsor Oaks.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Oct 07, 2011, 02:35 PM
FPV Browncoat
Joined Mar 2011
1,609 Posts
I should be able to come. This is the first weekend in a long time when there's actually been good enough weather to fly and i wasn't doing something else. I should be there around 10.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 05:39 PM
Turn up the G's !!!!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jul 2010
754 Posts
I should be able to make it in the morning now that I finally got my p-40 all back up and running.
dskalski is offline Find More Posts by dskalski
Old Oct 08, 2011, 09:23 PM
FPV Browncoat
Joined Mar 2011
1,609 Posts
So here's the video of my flight and crash today. I wasn't able to recover the HD video from the keychain camera, which was totaled, so I just have the standard def video from the live feed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8QN76wJaF0
I successfully glued the plane back together, so it's fine. The only casualties were one battery, the keychain camera, and a stripped aileron servo. Not too bad, though it's annoying having to order yet another keychain camera. These things add up when you go through them as fast as I have been.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 02:35 PM
V=IR
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined May 2005
790 Posts
Which camera? The #11? If so, I could use the case if it is still OK.

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelator View Post
So here's the video of my flight and crash today. I wasn't able to recover the HD video from the keychain camera, which was totaled, so I just have the standard def video from the live feed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8QN76wJaF0
I successfully glued the plane back together, so it's fine. The only casualties were one battery, the keychain camera, and a stripped aileron servo. Not too bad, though it's annoying having to order yet another keychain camera. These things add up when you go through them as fast as I have been.
mcsarge is offline Find More Posts by mcsarge
Old Oct 10, 2011, 02:39 PM
FPV Browncoat
Joined Mar 2011
1,609 Posts
Actually the case of the #11 was totally smashed, though I do have a couple spare cases from previous #11s I've bricked. The main problem though is that the circuit board got bricked, so that when it turns on the light only comes on solid rather than blinking once first, and it won't recognize the memory card or record. This has happened a couple other times and I've never found a solution, so I just ordered a new one.

If you need a spare case though I could probably give you one of the two others I have sitting around.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 02:44 PM
V=IR
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined May 2005
790 Posts
I put a new battery in mine and like an idiot, I did no teven look for the two screws before I started cracking it apart. I did the replacement, but i had to glue the halves together, and I would like to have one I can take apart again...

Just bring it to the field and I will try to get with you next time.

Matt
mcsarge is offline Find More Posts by mcsarge