SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 01, 2011, 09:26 PM
addicted foam abuser
Joined Sep 2008
457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelapaty View Post
Wow Patrick real nice Go FPV... I wont be out this weekend but maybe Monday morning for some stick time possible...
I want to see the QUAD...
2dogflyer is offline Find More Posts by 2dogflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2011, 09:59 PM
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogflyer View Post
I want to see the QUAD...
You mean the tricopter hehehehe
Nelapaty is offline Find More Posts by Nelapaty
Old Sep 02, 2011, 12:18 PM
Pants Up, Don't Loot!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,770 Posts
Wow - had some great morning flying at Windsor Oaks this morning - I am playing hooky as well

One flight almost ended in disaster - took off, circled back around, and all of a sudden I'm in a descent - cycled the throttle began to climb out and then lost power again - landed safely in a glide - lesson learned, don't swap in a smaller ESC and then a larger prop without running it on the watt meter

Thing is after I got home and tested it, it was pulling 22 amps peak, which should be within the range for the ESC that was on it - a CC Phoenix 25. I put a new CC TB36 and all is good Frankly, I am far more impressed with CC Thunderbirds than the Phoenix line, which cost a helluva lot more to boot.

Anyways, looking forward to maidening the Zlin in the morning at Lynnhaven. At a 55" wingspan, it's my biggest model by far - my 34" Spad right behind it for comparison

Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Sep 02, 2011, 01:53 PM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,609 Posts
So is everyone going to Lynnhaven tomorrow morning? Want to make sure I get the location right.
prelator is online now Find More Posts by prelator
Old Sep 02, 2011, 02:09 PM
Pants Up, Don't Loot!
Joined Jun 2005
1,770 Posts
The last word was that there is football practice at 3-O on Saturdays - they start showing up at 1000. I'll be at Lynnhaven early.
Old Sep 03, 2011, 12:45 PM
Pants Up, Don't Loot!
Joined Jun 2005
1,770 Posts
Didn't get up early enough - field was occupied when I got there at 0800
Old Sep 04, 2011, 06:15 PM
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,488 Posts
Anybody flying tomorrow?
Old Sep 04, 2011, 06:22 PM
addicted foam abuser
Joined Sep 2008
457 Posts
Yep..I am planin on it!!...3-0 that is
2dogflyer is offline Find More Posts by 2dogflyer
Old Sep 04, 2011, 06:40 PM
FPV Browncoat
Joined Mar 2011
1,609 Posts
I should be there too for more FPV flying. I was going to do some flying today but a broken elevator control horn forced me to abort the flight right after takeoff. Luckily I managed to land safely and avoid disaster, but that was a little scary.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 06:52 PM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,517 Posts
I hope you guys from across the water are gonna attend ELectrics Over Tidewater (EOT) in Newport News. There are a ton of sponsors and prizes. Last year, I won a Sabre Jet. I didnt have a plane for the night flying, but I stayed for it. That was really cool to see all the lights on the planes. Heres the flyer.

http://www.newportnewsrc.org/?page_id=471
Cabledawg1 is offline Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
Old Sep 04, 2011, 07:40 PM
FPV Browncoat
Joined Mar 2011
1,609 Posts
That event looks like it would be fun, but it appears you have to be an AMA member to participate, so I'm afraid I can't go. Doesn't look like your club (or the AMA for that matter) allows FPV flying either, so that precludes me on two counts.

Anyway, here are some of my pictures from Lynnhaven yesterday. I don't think I'm going to be posting the video from my flights after all, since after downloading the footage I discovered my keychain camera was still suffering from some problems with really bad vignetting and a smudge on the lens--both of which I think I have now corrected. I did include a couple screenshots though.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 07:45 PM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,517 Posts
We do allow FPV flying. We had 1 guy out there....I think his name is David, who had a FPV plane from Hobbyking. He had the whole setup. It was pretty cool. Another guy was running an autonamous setup on an easystar.
Cabledawg1 is offline Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:15 PM
FPV Browncoat
Joined Mar 2011
1,609 Posts
Oh really? It didn't appear you allowed that from the rules on your website:
Quote:
9. The operator of a radio-controlled model aircraft shall control it during the entire flight, maintaining visual contact without enhancement other than by corrective lenses that are prescribed for the pilot. No model aircraft shall be equipped with devices, which allow it to be flown to a selected location, which is beyond the visual range of the pilot.
That seems to pretty much preclude FPV as I understand it. Oh well, even if not, I'm not an AMA member and don't really care to pay the money to become one at present, so I'm out in any case. I think that's also the weekend of my school's big anniversary celebration that I'll be attending as well. Maybe another time.
Old Sep 05, 2011, 07:13 PM
FPV Browncoat
Joined Mar 2011
1,609 Posts
So I got the video up from my first FPV flight at 3 Oaks today:
3 Oaks FPV Flight 9-5-11 (16 min 54 sec)

Judging from Google Earth, my max distance was probably right around 2,000 feet. I probably made it around 1,000 feet high on this flight too, since I got pretty far up there. I don't think I'll be able to fly much further than 2,000 feet since I was starting to hit failsafe on my receiver at that distance, though it might have been interference since it always happened in this one corner of the farm field.

Alan, I actually got more footage of the neighborhood on my second flight, but the video footage from that flight didn't turn out as well since the wind was strong and the plane was getting jounced around a lot more.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 07:44 AM
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,488 Posts
That's a real good resolution and it looks great. I definitely like your setup Could you shed some light on non fpv crowd and provide some details on your gear...

Thanks
Row