Old Dec 10, 2002, 11:30 AM
Newbury, UK
Joined Aug 2002
671 Posts
I got my Slow Stick, but..

I didn't get the tail wheel in the kit!
On another thread someone suggested doing without it anyway,
but use the wire for tail dragging.

Also, can anyone point me to the motor thrust angle mod?
Clearly GWS hasn't mentioned it in the instructions - does it really need doing?
Apart from that, it looks good - just waiting for my hs-81 servo's to arrive.
Any one else in the UK got one yet?

Texy

www.btinternet.com/~texy/flying.htm
Texy is offline Find More Posts by Texy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2002, 11:41 AM
CA
Joined Aug 2002
876 Posts
Tail draggin might be ok... I have the stock thrust angle and it fly's fine... does climb a bit under power but not bad... search the boards and you'll find Boomerace's mod...

Good luck

Hank
Hankstone is offline Find More Posts by Hankstone
Old Dec 10, 2002, 11:58 AM
Sayre,PA
Joined Sep 2002
1,664 Posts
I think adding the 3deg down and right thrust is well worth the minimal effort it takes to do it. It's makes the Slow Stick even more enjoyable to fly. Check this thread for a couple of sugguestions on how to do this.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=72772
jimsp is offline Find More Posts by jimsp
Old Dec 10, 2002, 01:46 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Jan 2002
1,199 Posts
For a quick tailwheel, use a round servo wheel.
jbc455 is offline Find More Posts by jbc455
Old Dec 10, 2002, 01:52 PM
silent flight
South Wales UK
Joined May 2002
1,577 Posts
Hello Texy,
I've had my slow stick a few weeks now. It's been well flown now aswell. I'm on the second motor as the first burnt out last week, it's fitted with a Permax 280BB now. I haven't bothered with the thrust mod but mine does tend to nose up under power so it maybe worth doing it. I see by your website that you use a Pencam, the SlowStick is ideal to carry the camera. My SS carrys my Pencam and a 8cell AR NiCd pack with ease. Hope you get it in the air soon

Mike_Y
Mike_Y is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Y
Old Dec 10, 2002, 02:34 PM
Sweden (born UK bred Wales)
Joined Aug 2002
467 Posts
Cut one from a piece of the scrap red foam that's left over from the tail feathers.

Use a 10p coin as a template, that should be about right size. Don't use a 50p though...
konaboy is offline Find More Posts by konaboy
Old Dec 10, 2002, 04:51 PM
Oxymoron: Rap Music
Upstate NY
Joined Sep 2002
791 Posts
I lost my tailwheel when I buzzed a fense. I had it a drag, but it doesnt look as nice so I ordered a new 20cm wheel (I think?) and a new tail LG. (both from Horizon) It works great

GForce
GForceStress is offline Find More Posts by GForceStress
Old Dec 11, 2002, 02:52 AM
Newbury, UK
Joined Aug 2002
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by konaboy
Cut one from a piece of the scrap red foam that's left over from the tail feathers.

Use a 10p coin as a template, that should be about right size. Don't use a 50p though...
he he- in fact I had already done that before I sent my original post! Although I stuck two together - probably too think now.
Ta
(its a cold over in blighty as in Sweden now I expect!)
Old Dec 11, 2002, 02:56 AM
Newbury, UK
Joined Aug 2002
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Y
Hello Texy,
I've had my slow stick a few weeks now. It's been well flown now aswell. I'm on the second motor as the first burnt out last week, it's fitted with a Permax 280BB now. I haven't bothered with the thrust mod but mine does tend to nose up under power so it maybe worth doing it. I see by your website that you use a Pencam, the SlowStick is ideal to carry the camera. My SS carrys my Pencam and a 8cell AR NiCd pack with ease. Hope you get it in the air soon

Mike_Y
Mike - re: pencam - its the only reason I got the slowstick!
I would have probably got the tigermoth, although it needs much lighter gear as well.
Is the permax a direct replacement for the stock SS motor?
Are you using the stock gearbox?
How much did it cost?
Lots of questions, sorry, but I guess these motors don't last too long?
I plan to use a 8cell AA nicd or build a 8 or 8-cell nimh pack.
What size is an AR battery, compared to an AA?
Texy
Old Dec 11, 2002, 08:58 AM
Bedford (UK)
Joined Nov 2002
47 Posts
Hi from GB

Hi Guys n' Girls

Had my SS a couple of weeks now but not had time to start it yet - finishing off previous project first!. Bought a second one for my cousin for Christmas too, so will have a flying buddy. Hope its as good as everyone says! I have printed out as many posts as I can with the few build mods so will begin the build soon.
Looking forward to gettin' it up

Thanks for all the good posts and pics. Gotta buy a camera now (Mustek GSmart Mini 2 or 3 and better quality and weight than Aiptek).

Cheers

Andy B
AndyBra is offline Find More Posts by AndyBra
Old Dec 11, 2002, 11:28 AM
silent flight
South Wales UK
Joined May 2002
1,577 Posts
I fitted the Permax 280BB to the GWS Gearbox just had to elongate the holes slightly. Its more powerful than the stock 300 but i dont know if it will out last the stock ones only time will tell, they are around 17 so not a cheap alternative. The AR cells are smaller than AA, but what I've read the Slow Stick will take a fair size battery.

Mike_Y
Mike_Y is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Y
Old Dec 11, 2002, 01:48 PM
Sayre,PA
Joined Sep 2002
1,664 Posts
Re: Hi from GB

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyBra
Hi Guys n' Girls

Thanks for all the good posts and pics. Gotta buy a camera now (Mustek GSmart Mini 2 or 3 and better quality and weight than Aiptek).

Cheers

Andy B
The Mini 2 has a 1.3 CCD which is the same as the Aiptek. The prices I've seen for the Mini 2 are around $100 compared to $60 or less for the Aiptek. The mini 3 does have a 2.1M CCD but the price I saw for it was over $150.
jimsp is offline Find More Posts by jimsp
Old Dec 11, 2002, 02:22 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Re: Re: Hi from GB

Quote:
Originally posted by jimsp
The Mini 2 has a 1.3 CCD which is the same as the Aiptek. The prices I've seen for the Mini 2 are around $100 compared to $60 or less for the Aiptek. The mini 3 does have a 2.1M CCD but the price I saw for it was over $150.
Universal Computers has the Mini3 for $99 plus shipping ($113) total but the first one they sent me was defective! Still waiting for a replacement! http://www.universalcomputers.com/
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace