SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 01, 2007, 06:33 AM
Joined Nov 2006
16 Posts
Discussion
Lipo left at full charge - how long is OK?

a day? a week? a month?
Four-Eyes is offline Find More Posts by Four-Eyes
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2007, 06:44 AM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,365 Posts
For me, it is 5 days. If not used, I will discharge back down to 3.7/3.8 volts per cell and put in regular storage. If I am not going to use it for over a month, it goes into a freezer bag, then into the fridge crisper.

Others keep their packs fully charged for longer.

Challenger413
Challenger 413 is online now Find More Posts by Challenger 413
Old Nov 01, 2007, 06:50 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,820 Posts
I have some which have been kept fully charged for over 3 years.

They are not much good for anything however.

Best to store at approx. 3.85 volts per cell at approx. 32F

If you fly only on the weekends and keep your LiPolys charged all the time then 5/7=71.4% of the time they are not being used. If you keep them charged and fly once every 3 day then they are not being used 66.6% of the time.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 01, 2007, 10:46 AM
Joined Sep 2007
41 Posts
Is that true for smaller LiPos, like mobile phone and PDA batteries?

IIRC mobile phone manuals say it is recommended to keep the batteries fully charged while the are not in use, but I may be wrong as I usually do not read the phones' manuals properly
BarrelRoll is offline Find More Posts by BarrelRoll
Old Nov 01, 2007, 10:49 AM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,818 Posts
I keep mine charged and I may fly them every day or every 3 days or just once a week. what is worse is people who fly them, and the ones who fly them way down and do not charge untill there ready to fly, thats the worse you can do to them
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Nov 01, 2007, 11:45 AM
The Great NorthWest
Joined May 2007
1,029 Posts
I've heard so many different suggestions in regards to this exact question and I just decided to leave them after a flight and not charge till I'm ready to use that LiPo again then it gets stored that way. Sometimes it's a day or a month before I charge it again but I never run the packs down to the cutoff. I keep a real close eye on each pack when chargin' so I know the capacity of each pack and I use a timer on each flight so I get a really good idea of where the voltage is at any given time during the flight thus I never hit the cutoff voltage.
I figure they have a finite shelf life anyway so they are only goin' to last so long no matter how I store them.
One rule I do follow is that I never charge a new pack till I'm ready to use it because I've had new packs sit for months before the project was ready.

Xwingnut
xwingnut is offline Find More Posts by xwingnut