HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2007, 01:54 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,047 Posts
Yippee!
NEW VIDEO - FPV Night flying !!! Not your typical electric night flight :)

Here is an FPV video flying one of my glow powered planes at night. It was flown out of the city on a pitch black night. The entire flight from takeoff to landing was done by video goggles. I did this almost a year ago, but finally got around to making videos this week To see it click on the link below:

http://www.vimeo.com/365269

BTW: The sight Vimeo is great, the video quality is much better than youtube. You can also download the origional full high quality video by clicking the link on the bottom right of the page of the video. Thanks to ZaguruInDaSky for finding this great video site.

JettPilot
JettPilot is online now Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2007, 02:24 PM
Joined Oct 2006
493 Posts
Love it Jett...you the Man!!!!
Domoson is offline Find More Posts by Domoson
Old Oct 31, 2007, 03:03 PM
67N2F
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2005
229 Posts
That landing was pitch black. Nerves of steel dude.

But now admit it. An artificial horizon would have helped. There were moments when you apparently had no reference to horizon.

An OSD with selectable artificial horizon would be great. Admit it!!!!

Rob
robmoll is offline Find More Posts by robmoll
Old Oct 31, 2007, 03:15 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Very cool. Jett, are you navigating via the GPS coordinates and heading? I'm sure there are street light patterns, parking lots, etc. that you recognize. But in between those, it must be difficult to navigate otherwise. And I agree. Artificial Horizon, and you could fly your typical 3-5 miles out with no problems!
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Oct 31, 2007, 05:02 PM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2004
711 Posts
Nice video Jett! In north of sweden were i live (near arctic circle) it never gets dark summertime, but it could be some nice midnight sun flights

//Matte
Impulze is offline Find More Posts by Impulze
Old Nov 01, 2007, 01:41 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoll
That landing was pitch black. Nerves of steel dude.

But now admit it. An artificial horizon would have helped. There were moments when you apparently had no reference to horizon.

An OSD with selectable artificial horizon would be great. Admit it!!!!

Rob
I guess that is why Jett bought Dragon OSD I recall some makers thought the Artificial Horizon was useless but Daniel thought through and beyond that therefore making it possible for those night fliers or cloud fliers! He announces more great add ons for DRAGON on RC-Cam! So to me Intelligent Flight is on the right track with all their products! I also hear Thomas is up to something very special for us!!!! What a awesome team!!!!
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Nov 01, 2007, 05:55 AM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,959 Posts
very good Jett
I would not be very nervous landing my easystar in pitch blck, but landing a glow plane with much more weight would be more challemging.
good skill
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Nov 01, 2007, 05:45 PM
Smoke on , go !
Verona - Italy
Joined Jan 2007
2,525 Posts
yep Vimeo is great.

I don't know what you guys think about OSD but I think they are horrible... they distracts from the subject and the fonts used are normally too weird and low resolution... I don't think I'll use an OSD in the future if they don't improve the aspect a bit. And if you want to move the video in some video editing you'll also see overlay text moving with it.. so the editing possibilities will be limited.

The dark video is impressive, I wouldn't do it... my poor lil airplane.. congrats for the landing, it must be very difficult.

Btw I thiink that after sunset and twilight have more interesting light situations, in full night you see only white dots here and there... but it must be an exciting experience. Good job !
zaguruinzasky is offline Find More Posts by zaguruinzasky
Old Nov 01, 2007, 10:57 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,959 Posts
osd is very usefull to know the power remaining , altitude etc.
With a flip of a switch it can be visible, and when we know what we want, we remove it.
You don't need osd if you stay enough close to hear the motor, but when your plane is far away, you will feel more confident with an osd, good look or not.
Personnaly I don't see any problem with the font of existing osd, I can see clearly what it write.
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Nov 01, 2007, 11:00 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
I plan on toggling mine on/off also. For video I plan on editing and posting, I would most of the time have OSD turned off. But would turn it on to find out usefull info like range, altitude, battery consumption, etc. As long as you have the capability of turning it off when needed, then it's a win/win scenario.
Old Nov 01, 2007, 11:09 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,047 Posts
This OSD in these videos is an old one, very basic, but usable. At night I need the altitude information. Durring the day, there are many times I would have lost the plane without speed and heading readouts, its absolutely needed if you fly long range FPV. The new Dragon OSD will make it easy to navigate when it gets here

JettPilot
JettPilot is online now Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 01, 2007, 11:12 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Hey Jett, I'll bet those new 5Hz GPS modules would be REAL handy when doing these night landings. A delay of a second or two of altitude info when landing could be the difference between a soft landing, or a trip back to the work bench.
Old Nov 01, 2007, 11:52 PM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRflyer
osd is very usefull to know the power remaining , altitude etc.
With a flip of a switch it can be visible, and when we know what we want, we remove it.
You don't need osd if you stay enough close to hear the motor, but when your plane is far away, you will feel more confident with an osd, good look or not.
Personnaly I don't see any problem with the font of existing osd, I can see clearly what it write.
You know Denis.. I have to stand beside you and agree with you on this one!
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Nov 03, 2007, 11:52 AM
Joined Aug 2004
329 Posts
Very Impressive........

Loved the Altitude and Heading information..

--------------------

Any elaboration on the GPS set-up or links to threads would be appreciated.
just_steve51 is offline Find More Posts by just_steve51
Old Nov 04, 2007, 07:27 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbostang
Hey Jett, I'll bet those new 5Hz GPS modules would be REAL handy when doing these night landings. A delay of a second or two of altitude info when landing could be the difference between a soft landing, or a trip back to the work bench.
Nope, as you wouldn't e looking at it on final anyway, but would rather concentrate on the runway...

Don't believe GPS altitude for landing or you'll have surprises, you can have +/- 20m excursions easily.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah