HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2007, 01:39 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,462 Posts
Build Log
AerodromeRC 1:9 Scale Sopwith Snipe Proto Build

The prototype kit of Kurt's 1/9 Snipe was waiting for me at the post office today. This is a very long short kit! There is a lot of wood included, and there is pretty much nothing except a few dowels that the builder needs to purchase as far as wood goes. The laser cutting and wood selection is top notch. The 3 very large plan sheets are a thing of beauty. I can't wait to dig in and get started! I have a night shift to work, but hopefully I can get a good start later this week. I think things will go together very quickly.
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2007, 01:52 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,519 Posts
Heh Huninthesun,
Is that the proper rudder for Barker's machine? Looks like the later variant's tail.
Baldguy
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Oct 31, 2007, 02:01 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldguy
Heh Huninthesun,
Is that the proper rudder for Barker's machine? Looks like the later variant's tail.
Baldguy
Fear not, the kit includes parts for both early and late rudder versions, as well as early and late ailerons.

Here's a picture to illustrate how complete the kit is. Included are some nicely cut control horns. Notice the penny for size comparison. Yes, that's a Canadian penny, now worth 1.05 cents US!
Old Oct 31, 2007, 03:42 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,519 Posts
Ah, trust Kurt to put both versions in! Smart move. Hope to start building mine in a couple of weeks or so. Silkspan covered, dope finish. That's one way of chasing the boss and kids out of the house for the day!
Old Oct 31, 2007, 04:06 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,724 Posts
Frank, I'm sure you'll pull off a wonderful job again! I am watching eagerly.
edi is offline Find More Posts by edi
Old Oct 31, 2007, 04:59 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,462 Posts
Thanks Edi. It's not hard to wind up with a great model when you have a kit like this to start with.

A man can resist only so long. The wife went out for some last minute Halloween decorations, so out came the glue and pins. A few minutes with some accurately cut laser parts and some 1/8" square stock, and the fin and rudder are assembled. I'm modelling Canadian William Barker's Snipe, which is the early version. Notice the plan also shows the later version of the Snipe. I actually prefer the lines of the later version, but I'm restricted by history!
Last edited by vonJaerschky; Oct 31, 2007 at 05:13 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2007, 07:02 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,462 Posts
A few more laser cut balsa pieces and some 1/8" square stock form the stab and elevators.
Old Nov 01, 2007, 10:04 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
What glue is that in the syringe? Looks like carpenter's wood glue.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Nov 02, 2007, 01:02 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,462 Posts
Sure is. Elmer's "Pro Bond". It grabs fast, dries pretty quick, and sand really nicely. And at $5 for a big bottle, darned cheap, too.
Old Nov 02, 2007, 12:46 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,462 Posts
Fuselage construction starts out pretty basic. Balsa sides with a 1/32" ply doubler, and 1/8" balsa framework at the rear. All the balsa strip stock is included, and it's nice, strong stock well suited to the task.

I like to draw horizontal lines spaced 1/2" apart along the long edge of the fuse sides. It really makes it easy later to keep things square when the fuselage is assembled and it comes time to install servo rails, etc.
Old Nov 02, 2007, 03:23 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,462 Posts
Here's the firewall being glued to the fuselage sides. I decided to leave the firewall in its laser cut sheet and pin the whole thing down on to the building board. It made it a lot easier to install the sides and ensure they were square. I used some clamps to hold a triangle and a square upright against the sides while the glue dries.
Old Nov 03, 2007, 08:25 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,519 Posts
Thought you'd have it finished by now.
The Pro Bond, is that they're polyurathane glue, the one that foams?
Old Nov 03, 2007, 10:22 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,533 Posts
vonJ, sweet looking build. Barker has been one of my heroes since I read "Knights of the Air" as a kid. Far eclipsed Billy Bishop for me. That last amazing fight in the Snipe (and the fact that he survived) sounded more like fiction than real life. I'll get a vicarious kick out of following your build.

Cheers, Jeff
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Nov 03, 2007, 11:57 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,462 Posts
Baldguy - Nah, it''s just plain old yellow wood glue. Seems to work a bit better than the others, at least for me.

Jeff- Thanks! I agree with you about Barker. Glad you are enjoying the build.
Old Nov 03, 2007, 05:47 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,519 Posts
Sad thing is Barker died test flying a bird after the war in Ontario. Some even speculated that it might have been intentional as he continual suffered a great deal from the injures sustained in the last dogfight. Here at our airforce base there is an admin. building named after him.