HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2008, 02:32 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,400 Posts
It might bobble, or be rolled one way or the other all the sudden. Or it might sudenly pitch up. Or, if the idea that the lift creates more "energy", it might suddenly speed up.

I used to do a lot of thermaling of flying wings (Red Herrings).

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2008, 03:29 PM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake
I was just wondering... what does a wing do to signal lift? A conventional glider will raise its tail in the presence of lift, but what about a wing?
Long - long ago it was Zen. The lift was there, and you know it is there, and your aircraft finds it. You can feel it, the mind knows and the hand responds.

Now to signal lift, the small device you have implanted in the heart of your machine, sends a coded signal to a black box hanging on your belt. Then the black box sends a tone via a wire to a magnetic device implanted in your ear.

HerkS is offline Find More Posts by HerkS
Old Apr 21, 2008, 04:33 PM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake
I was just wondering... what does a wing do to signal lift? A conventional glider will raise its tail in the presence of lift, but what about a wing?
I built a 1.6m span zagi type electric wing for themalling a year ago or so. It signalled lift by wobbling in the yaw axis. Quite handy really, because you could see it had hit lift even if directly overhead.

There's a bigger one planned, 2.3m as soon as I finish the BD clone I'm building.

Nick
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser
Old Apr 22, 2008, 12:08 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Thanks Herk.
When I"m ready to start the build on the Klingberg I'll be in touch. I've built one foam core plane in my life (Savage Slope) and that was more years ago than many of the members here have under their belts. (Also know as more years ago than I care to admit to) There are a lot of features on the Kilngberg that seem to be strictly of the "bells and whistles" kind. I'm just glad to hear that it is a good thermal flier. I love the looks of it and would hate to get rid of it because it was strictly a slope ship and I don't have any slope sites within a reasonable distance from me. I sure miss being able to fly at Torry Pines whenever I wanted to. My moving cross country called for a lot of changes but has proven to be well worth it in the long run. After all, I've gotten into electric sailplanes now and doubt that I would have had I remained in San Diego. Just too many good slope sites there to need motors.

Jeff
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Jun 22, 2008, 01:58 AM
TROUT OR THERMALS
Eureka, Ca
Joined Sep 2002
2,771 Posts
Any big thermal wings with 1500 square inches and 14 inch root chord?

Dean (still wondering about competitive XC racing flying wings)
steelhead is offline Find More Posts by steelhead
Old Jun 22, 2008, 02:45 AM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,295 Posts
Try here Part 1 and Part 2 and Update .

Steve
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:11 AM
kak8
Joined Jun 2005
299 Posts