HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2002, 09:41 PM
central point oregon
Joined Aug 2002
5 Posts
Radical edge 540 motor?

Hello i have had a radical for a while now and the gws motor modified doesn't let me hover. I was wondering about an astro 010 with that gear box of gws? my radical weighs 10oz on the nose. also is there a way to get the pinion off of the gws motor and drill with out chewing the gear (already happend to the first)?

thank you for your replies
zagi_flyer is offline Find More Posts by zagi_flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2002, 12:57 PM
Methuen, MA
Joined Sep 2002
870 Posts
The GWS 370 with timing advanced between 3/16 and 14" inch should have no problem hovering a 10 ounce Edge. It could very well be worn out. Many on this board report only getting 3-5 hours use from this motor. They don't last long if given full throttle from an 8 cell pack. A replacement is only $11.95.

The problem could be cold weather. I noticed that it was calm yesterday at sunset so I ran out for a flight with my Edge. It was 18 degrees out and the power was just not there. Either the batteries or motor (or both) didn't like the cold. The battery had been off the charger for 24 hours before the flight. Try peaking the battery until warm just before going out for a flight in the chilly weather.

I have no experience with the Astro 010, but do know it is, along with its brushless motor controller, considerably heavier than the GWS can motor. I also recall a discussion that it would put out no more thrust than the GWS motor on an 8 cell pack, but would run considerably longer. The other consideration is the cost of $150.00 with gearbox.

Search the Edge threads and you will see many have had spectacular success with the Hacker B20 in this plane.
Mike Tully is offline Find More Posts by Mike Tully
Old Dec 10, 2002, 07:22 PM
Indiana
Joined Oct 2002
189 Posts
You might try checking the timing. I bought a gws motor and gearbox combo that had a motor timed for direct drive. when retimed it had alot more power and drew less amps.
also you might look into the black diamond motor Dave sells $38.00 He says it has alot more power, but I have read it doesnt last very long

Hope this helps
sloanfs is offline Find More Posts by sloanfs