HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2009, 10:00 AM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,996 Posts
Yes, I have done some testing of FalconEV/Advanced Lithium cells, some good, some not so. What would you really like to see (size/test/comparison)?

As for LifFePO4 and LEDs, well, that must have been on candlepowerforums if anywhere:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/

Which LiCo cells are you referring to? Any chance of a link? My experience is that many emerging cells, including Advanced Lithium, have specific, atypical cut-off voltages during charge, i.e. 3.65V or 3.80V at full charge. The iChargers work great for this as cut-off charge voltage is fully adjustable for any chemistry or charge program.

- David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2009, 08:13 PM
QPower 18650
Sunshine Coast
Joined Jun 2006
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by write2dgray
Yes, I have done some testing of FalconEV/Advanced Lithium cells, some good, some not so. What would you really like to see (size/test/comparison)?

As for LifFePO4 and LEDs, well, that must have been on candlepowerforums if anywhere:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/

Which LiCo cells are you referring to? Any chance of a link? My experience is that many emerging cells, including Advanced Lithium, have specific, atypical cut-off voltages during charge, i.e. 3.65V or 3.80V at full charge. The iChargers work great for this as cut-off charge voltage is fully adjustable for any chemistry or charge program.

- David
http://store.peakbattery.com/lithium...-lco18650.html

These are the LiCo unit's I were referring to. Nominal voltage is 3.7v but no other info available.

I have a hyperion duo.

Candlepower forums doesn't look familiar but interesting reading; thanks.
madhun1 is offline Find More Posts by madhun1
Old Jan 17, 2009, 09:12 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,996 Posts
You know all I know about those from DLG, you might try sending an email peakbattery for some more info - I'd be curious to know. They are listed on my LiFe page, although the comments note that they are lithium cobalt oxide. I have never personally seen or tested any and they have no given C rating.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2009, 10:46 PM
QPower 18650
Sunshine Coast
Joined Jun 2006
1,495 Posts
Quote:
You know all I know about those from DLG, you might try sending an email peakbattery for some more info - I'd be curious to know. They are listed on my LiFe page, although the comments note that they are lithium cobalt oxide. I have never personally seen or tested any and they have no given C rating.
I have just emailed peakbattery and will post up any information they will supply.

At that size and 2000mah they would be very useful if the C rating is decent (and accurate).

If they look half decent would you mind if I had them ship you a hand ful for testing? Although I have an eagletree and wattsup meter I've not got any other battery testing equipment.

I'll have to set up a test rig one of these days.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 10:57 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,996 Posts
Not at all - that would be great. I'd be happy to run the standard tests on a pair of samples up to a given C rate and any other tests you desire. I just got through hooking up my dual CC-400 dischargers - up to around a kW limit now when combined with the CBA II, this set-up is good for over 250A on single cell LiFePo4s and 75A continuous discharge on a 3S LiPo.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2009, 11:57 PM
QPower 18650
Sunshine Coast
Joined Jun 2006
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Not at all - that would be great. I'd be happy to run the standard tests on a pair of samples up to a given C rate and any other tests you desire. I just got through hooking up my dual CC-400 dischargers - up to around a kW limit now when combined with the CBA II, this set-up is good for over 250A on single cell LiFePo4s and 75A continuous discharge on a 3S LiPo.
Thanks. I'll keep you posted and PM when I knoe more.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 04:24 AM
QPower 18650
Sunshine Coast
Joined Jun 2006
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Attached are some specs as supplied by the vendor.

At $12/cell though I'd have to question using these over A123
These are for the Gold Top LifePo4 from Advanced Lithium
Last edited by madhun1; Jan 19, 2009 at 04:42 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 09:18 AM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,996 Posts
Now that looks familiar - notice the D.Gray in the lower left of the graph. Well, I guess I have tested those cells. Not up to A123 under loads over 15C, but capacity is very near spec.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2009, 04:40 AM
QPower 18650
Sunshine Coast
Joined Jun 2006
1,495 Posts
As for the LiCo; so far the only info I can find about them is in relation to the risk of fire if overcharged, and reduced life expectancy in high current drain applications.

A123 discharge/charge capabilities in various form factors with the weight and cost of the LiCo is what we need; is that too much to ask?
Old Jan 22, 2009, 08:05 AM
QPower 18650
Sunshine Coast
Joined Jun 2006
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Managed to find the spec sheet for the LiCo's and the manufacturer of the gold top LifePo4 32650 cells.

Going through the motions of obtaining samples of both to test.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:28 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,529 Posts
Humm? Max discharge 3.0 on a 2.0 Ah battery. 1.5C sounds like its limited to low power service.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Jan 22, 2009, 05:39 PM
Joined Sep 2008
10 Posts
great info. Thank you very much.. Keep up such a wonderful work!
attomic is offline Find More Posts by attomic
Old Jan 23, 2009, 04:10 AM
QPower 18650
Sunshine Coast
Joined Jun 2006
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
Humm? Max discharge 3.0 on a 2.0 Ah battery. 1.5C sounds like its limited to low power service.

Looks that way; probably no significant benefit for RC applications in all but the lightest of duty. Significant weight reduction over a Lifepo4 cell of the same capacity.
Old Feb 09, 2009, 12:14 PM
USA, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2005
985 Posts
What is a "Bleed Rate"?

Seems to be noted on only some of the Bantam clone chargers on the http://progressiverc.com/Research.html list.
patrick181 is offline Find More Posts by patrick181
Old Feb 09, 2009, 12:26 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,996 Posts
Bleed rate is the effective discharge rate (per cell) available to aid in cell balancing. Bigger is better . It is listed for many chargers and is also given for all balancers on the "balancer" list where available.

- David
RCG Plus Member