HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2007, 04:24 PM
I'm into the All hobbies
Joined Oct 2007
26 Posts
Build Log
Ritewing Wacko Build Thread

I bought my Ritewing last week. I have been dieing to get into flying again and found the perfect opportunity here.

It took me forever to track down all the components required to construct, but I got them all under control.

Modified my workspace a little, adding some more light, so I can work into the night.

Sunday, I got the spar's put in, marked the servo's and got the wing's bonded together.

Last night I layed out the battery bay and motor mount. Using a soldering gun I was able to finish cutting out all the space. My goal wasn't to go all the way through the body for the battery bay, however I went too far in the top left corner. I planed to put some Henry's 183 in the battery bay to strengthen it up anyway, I should have enough room for it now.

In each phase I have come up to, I have over estimated the difficulty. I am finding that the tasks comming up look difficult, however with some concentration, time and paitents, everything falls into place. Looking back, putting the spar's in wasn't too bad. Digging out the servo's and battery bay wasn't too bad. Even installing the motormount seemed like a huge task. Now that it's done I could probably do it 4 times faster.

However I see myself comming to the covering with Henry's 183 and Monokote. I have never done anything like this before. Which is next.

So this is the first plane I have ever built. I can't wait until I'm flying this wing and thinking about how much fun it was to build and fly it.

I hope to have the top 183'd tonight and the bottom tomorrow. If my electronics arrive by Friday, I might be attempting my very first Maiden, ever, this weekend.

I can't believe how exciting building this wing is.

Thanks for any input.

-Jared
critical is offline Find More Posts by critical
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2007, 05:34 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Looking Good, Sure you havent done this before
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Oct 30, 2007, 07:22 PM
I'm into the All hobbies
Joined Oct 2007
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulVi
Looking Good, Sure you havent done this before
HAHA! I'll take that as a compliment. I am good at laying things out by nature.

I really hope it flies smooth.

-Jared
Old Oct 30, 2007, 10:10 PM
glendora,CA
Joined Dec 2005
181 Posts
het critical how big is the prop area looked a little small thought you wanted to swing a 7" prop.what servos ya going to use?let me know when your ready to throw that wing into the wind
pumpman is offline Find More Posts by pumpman
Old Oct 30, 2007, 10:15 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Looks good, stick with a 6x4, I tried them both and I was much happier with a 6x4 and 4s then I was on the 7x5 and 3s. YMMV
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Oct 30, 2007, 10:32 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,781 Posts
I say ya, stick with the 6/4.
ck
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Oct 30, 2007, 11:26 PM
I'm into the All hobbies
Joined Oct 2007
26 Posts
Excellent, thanks for the input's guys.

I bought 2x HS-225MG servo's
Great catch Steve, I bought 6x4. The size is just right for the 6x4

I just 183'd the battery bay, and it is drying.

I honestly hope to have everything ready this weekend. After the battery bay dries, I will be almost ready to start covering. I want to fly so bad.

I am still waiting on Motor and ESC. Which should arrive in a timely manner. If they come before friday, I will be ready Saturday.

-Jared
Old Oct 30, 2007, 11:51 PM
glendora,CA
Joined Dec 2005
181 Posts
guess ibetter charge some batts. looking foward to it
pumpman is offline Find More Posts by pumpman
Old Oct 31, 2007, 08:26 AM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Dude don't rush it, I have built over a dozen and I don't think I could finish one by this weekend!

Take your time, and do it rite. Aim for the following weekend at least. The extra time you spend will be well worth it when you flying her.
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Oct 31, 2007, 10:34 AM
I'm into the All hobbies
Joined Oct 2007
26 Posts
I didn't mean to sound like I was rushing. I certainly am taking my time.

Last night took longer then I anticipated. I was able to finish 183'n the battery bay. Also, installed the servo's. Fired up my new DX-7, linked the receiver to the radio and got the servo horns straight.

Two nights ago I tried this, and the receiver pack that came with the radio was dead. I also found, you can plug the receiver pack in backwards to the reciever and it will not work at all. I got to push the sticks around, watching the little servo horns go back and forth. It was like I was flying, Exciting!

Two nights ago I stayed up till 1:30am working on it. I don't mind putting the time into it, and rest assured I am not rushing to get done by the weekend. I am sure Steve won't be disapointed if I don't finish. However, I am dedicated to completing the project.

-Jared
Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:02 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,781 Posts
Jarred you are hooked.The rest of your gear should be there today & tommaro .Keep it rollin bud.
ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by critical
I didn't mean to sound like I was rushing. I certainly am taking my time.

Last night took longer then I anticipated. I was able to finish 183'n the battery bay. Also, installed the servo's. Fired up my new DX-7, linked the receiver to the radio and got the servo horns straight.

Two nights ago I tried this, and the receiver pack that came with the radio was dead. I also found, you can plug the receiver pack in backwards to the reciever and it will not work at all. I got to push the sticks around, watching the little servo horns go back and forth. It was like I was flying, Exciting!

Two nights ago I stayed up till 1:30am working on it. I don't mind putting the time into it, and rest assured I am not rushing to get done by the weekend. I am sure Steve won't be disapointed if I don't finish. However, I am dedicated to completing the project.

-Jared
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Oct 31, 2007, 01:21 PM
I'm into the All hobbies
Joined Oct 2007
26 Posts
On a side note, I think I'm going to go next weekend to this...

http://www.rcmarks.org/NewsLetters/G...pMeet20072.pdf

I kinda want a gas 40 size trainer. on rcmarks.org site they have contests. One I though funny was a 40 size trainer contest. Where everyone has a 40 size trainer and they fly for points.

"Hey everyone, bring your wings down, we're starting the trainer chase!"

-Jared
Old Oct 31, 2007, 04:01 PM
I'm into the All hobbies
Joined Oct 2007
26 Posts
Got my motor today. Woot!

-Jared
Old Nov 01, 2007, 06:36 AM
Upland, CA
Joined Mar 2007
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by critical
On a side note, I think I'm going to go next weekend to this...

http://www.rcmarks.org/NewsLetters/G...pMeet20072.pdf

I kinda want a gas 40 size trainer. on rcmarks.org site they have contests. One I though funny was a 40 size trainer contest. Where everyone has a 40 size trainer and they fly for points.

"Hey everyone, bring your wings down, we're starting the trainer chase!"

-Jared
I'll have to try to check it out. I don't have anything planned tha weekend and I get paid Wednesday.
swoof is online now Find More Posts by swoof
Old Nov 01, 2007, 01:23 PM
I'm into the All hobbies
Joined Oct 2007
26 Posts
Swoop, Upland is close. Maybe once I get my wing up we can fly some.

Status update. I spent a lot of time on the battery bay last night.

I relocated my servo wires a bit.
Found I cut too much of the shelf for the cover, so I amended a little extension so it would be relatively flush.

Picked up some "Plastic" putty knife's at Walmart for $0.88. WOW what a difference. I almost didn't do this, but I needed some more knife blades (I think another $0.88ish, How do they sell this stuff so cheap. You could almost sell the blades as scrap metal for more...)

Last night I finished up 183'n the bottom. I think it looks pretty good. This morning I looked it over, and put it right side up. Tonight I will work on 183'n the motormount, leading edge and trailing edge. Go play some World of Warcraft with my wife while it dries, then finish 183'n the top.

I don't really have a good feeling about the battery bay, I just couldn't visualize it. I can see my next one being much cleaner.

-Jared