HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2007, 08:51 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Feb 2007
340 Posts
Discussion
trex 450 sa RTF - deal / opinion

There's a guy locally selling a Trex450sa with DX6. I'm interested in your opinions of this setup & asking price.
Previous heli experience was a Falcoln 3d, which I just lost to a main rotor failure over 20' of water....

He's asking 550 - I haven't seen it yet, but will require that it is demo'd:

EVERYTHING CNC IS THE ALIGN GREY CNC

trex 450sa
cnc blade grips
cnc flybar cage
cnc upper mixing arms
cnc washout block
cnc wash out arms
cnc swash
220mm flybar
thunderpower 3s 2100 15c lipo never discharged more then 80%
eflite 40amp esc
align 430l motor
futaba gy401 gyro
futaba digital 9650 tail servo
HITEC HS65MG SERVOS ON CYCLIC
micro heli cnc tail
carbon fiber boom
spektrum ar6000 rx
spektrum dx6 ( already programmed )
electrifly 3s 1500ma lipo
super skids ( non breakable landing skids)
eflite celctra charger ( 250ma to 2amp charge rates)
converted pc power supply for rc use, can charge up to 4s packs
1 set up black and white 325 pro woodies
1 set of red and white 325 pro woodies
blade balancer
jr propo neck strap
astro flight blinky lipo balancer
true blood swash leveler
eflite pitch gauge
3 brand new main gears
cnc tail rotor pully
cnc front belt pully
1 spare aluminum boom
1 spare light blue auto rotation gear
3 spare main shafts
4 brand new feathering shafts

this heli is already setup and the tail holds perfectly, it has been crash but everything has been replaced. the head is setup for +11 and -11 on pitch. NO BINDING, FLY'S PERFECT. as you can see from my list i spent the money on getting the best. the hs65mg servos where 37.99 each and you need 3 of them. the gears are metal so when you crash they dont strip. futaba gy401 and 9650 are the best gyro and tail servo.. I really need this thing gone, as i dont fly much anymore and i need to pull my self out of a little problem. THIS IS A READY TO FLY SETUP, ANYTHING YOU NEED TO FLY, CHARGE A PACK, AND FIX A CRASH IS HERE. this setup has cost me alot of money.
dcg9381 is offline Find More Posts by dcg9381
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2007, 09:00 AM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
You didn't say what sort of $, so I can't comment on the price, but that's all good gear. Seems like it's a head tee away from SE spec.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Oct 30, 2007, 09:43 AM
Joined Feb 2007
340 Posts
Price is $575.
I'm new to chasing trex models - so any advice is appreciated.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 09:59 AM
It was a nice heli.....
Kansas City
Joined Feb 2007
261 Posts
I dunno, the price is questionable. I see SEs going for dirt cheap anymore, then you could get a better radio because the DX6 is horrible to program and or modify.

I'd skip it, find a used SE and a used DX7. The DX7 is worlds better than the 6 and they are plentifull now that many have upgraded to the X9303.

That being said I bought an identical SA tricked with gray aluminum and CF used for 100 bucks(airframe only)...and have been flying the snot out of it. On the plus side it looks different than an SE and is a little different if you like to set yourself apart.
deity is offline Find More Posts by deity
Old Oct 30, 2007, 10:06 AM
Advanced Learner
State College, PA
Joined Dec 2006
2,729 Posts
Sounds like the only thing not SE on that is the rotor head.

Also, sounds it comes with a real nice set of spares and tools (not to mention the charger).

Seems like a pretty good deal. But, I don't really know much about the DX6

Oh. Does it come with a full-sized carrying case? That might seal the deal if it were me
StarmanDXE is offline Find More Posts by StarmanDXE
Old Oct 30, 2007, 10:17 AM
Joined Feb 2007
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarmanDXE
Sounds like the only thing not SE on that is the rotor head.

Also, sounds it comes with a real nice set of spares and tools (not to mention the charger).

Seems like a pretty good deal. But, I don't really know much about the DX6

Oh. Does it come with a full-sized carrying case? That might seal the deal if it were me
DX6 is base model 2.4Ghz radio - designed for "park flyers" - range est at 3000 feet. It can be purchased for a little less than $199 (new). Servos need to be purchased, however...
Last edited by dcg9381; Oct 30, 2007 at 02:01 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 01:07 PM
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Mar 2007
1,237 Posts
I have a very similar setup to the one you described. Mine started as a 450S and I've upgraded to the CNC, RC-Tek aluminum head / tail parts. $600 is a very good price for that package!

I got my DX6 used for $120 off the F S/W forum on here. It came with a bind plug and Rx... no servos (the servos are crap anyway). I'm doing some fairly advanced 3D stuff now (tick-tocks, inverted-backwards circuits, etc.)... and I still don't feel the need for anything more than the DX6. Best $120 I put into the heli, aside from the $90, 401 I also got off the F S/W forum RCgroups rocks!!!

I found the DX6 simple to program... just takes some getting used to, especially if you've never programmed a heli before (like me). The DX7 is definitely easier to learn, though... the display helps a lot. If you go with the DX6 and have problems programming it, send me a PM.
hurleybt is offline Find More Posts by hurleybt
Last edited by hurleybt; Oct 30, 2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 02:01 PM
Joined Feb 2007
340 Posts
Thanks Hurley... I wasn't planning on a heli purchase this month, but the DX6 looks like it will meet longer term needs as a "park" heli.. I just don't have enough experience between the different Trex models to be able to adequately price the setup.

There is a SE setup forsale locally with a DX7, single battery, charger, etc.. Price is $950, which is a big jump. I'm not fully committed to the hobby.
Last edited by dcg9381; Oct 30, 2007 at 02:22 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 02:15 PM
Joined Jan 2006
155 Posts
I would get the DX7 if you are going to invest in a radio... it has a lot more potential. I have always skimped on the radio and found myself going back months or years later for a new one when I could just have gotten the best option in the first place.

With the DX7 I don't forsee myself needing a new radio anytime in the foreseeable future, even if I decide suddenly I want to build a giant-scale plank. And it's quite good for programming and has more than enough features for me.
squeakywaffle is offline Find More Posts by squeakywaffle
Old Oct 30, 2007, 05:58 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Ok, I presume that must have been US dollars. Folks, this is an international site... put your location in your profile or specify currency please?

I agree over DX6 vs DX7... just get the 7, it's more than enough of an improvement to justify the price difference. Better feel, better precision, lower latency, much more flexible and easier to use programming, and an extra channel. While the 7th channel is kind of irrelevant on a T-Rex, if you get into sailplanes you'll be wanting it. When the DX6i comes out it'll be a better choice than the current DX6.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Oct 30, 2007, 06:17 PM
It was a nice heli.....
Kansas City
Joined Feb 2007
261 Posts
the DX6 would be the deal breaker for me, I came very close to purchasing one. I'm glad I didnt because I setup a club members Trex with it and what a freekin nightmare. The biggest thing is the 3 point throttle and pitch curves, its like its on, middle, and off. Just not enough control. The 7 uses 5 point. Plenty of adjustability. Not mention navigating its menus and options is a magic trick in itself. Save yourself the frustration.

Better yet see if he will part with it without the radio
deity is offline Find More Posts by deity
Old Oct 30, 2007, 06:42 PM
/bin/ksh
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Nov 2005
3,363 Posts
This guy has almost 1K in that heli with the extra's. The only downside I see is the SA frame, yes it's lite and just as good flight wise, the aluminum is softer and will bend easily in a hard crash.

If the heli really is what it's advertised as, you have a steal IMO. The only complaints I hear on the DX6 are feature related not flight related, 3 point curves aren't that big of a deal, but it will limit you in ability to soften the pitch via curve, but expo is there to get you by.

The price is very good imo.
Steve_C is offline Find More Posts by Steve_C