SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 09, 2002, 07:41 PM
Ponca City, Oklahoma, United States
Joined Oct 2002
133 Posts
My labrador retrieves after all....oops

I tried a quick flight at lunch and forgot to latch the gate to my backyard where I keep my dog locked up when I fly. Problem was I guess I did not check the latch that well. After a great landing my black lab came around the corner scooped up my tiger moth and went to town. Should blame myself as I tease her with flybys along the fence fairly often. Ater 100 or so flights she was still looking good, oh well...... Has anyone else lost planes this way?
nikko is offline Find More Posts by nikko
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2002, 07:48 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Nikko, sorry to see your Tigermoth looking like that. Bad dog!

Doesn't appear to be anything a few dabs of probond couldn't fix. Hope you get her repaired and back in the air soon.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Dec 09, 2002, 07:49 PM
Joined Nov 2002
137 Posts
poor airplane, i guess you deserved it though with all the flybys. I lost one of the micro rc cars when I tried to bug our new puppy with it. She picked it up and ran through the dog door. by the time I got to the backyard it was toast.
ChodeMan is offline Find More Posts by ChodeMan
Old Dec 09, 2002, 09:03 PM
Syracuse, New York
Joined Dec 2002
241 Posts
I almost lost the Wingo to a few dogs...you just gotta arrive before the dog does.
Jaffa is offline Find More Posts by Jaffa
Old Dec 09, 2002, 09:14 PM
BOSS
New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined Apr 2002
4,984 Posts
You no whats even worse than my dog?

My little sister

Oh how I mis my wing-e
Dont ever tell you little sister theres an invisble ghost called the "nobber" coming after you

Jon
j_z_123 is offline Find More Posts by j_z_123
Old Dec 09, 2002, 09:18 PM
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Jun 2002
1,181 Posts
my dog tore up 2 pico sticks...there wasn`t anything left bigger than your hand.
mlehman is offline Find More Posts by mlehman
Old Dec 09, 2002, 09:22 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Jan 2001
237 Posts
My Golden Retreiver just holds the plane down with his paw.

Charley
CharleyRexom is offline Find More Posts by CharleyRexom
Old Dec 09, 2002, 09:36 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined May 2000
602 Posts
Bummer man. I had a lab chase my slow flyers around a park once; my battery pooped and the BEC kicked in, but I luckily caught a thermal until the owner came to collect her dog.

BTW, I like your OU insignia, being a Norman native...
-Chung
chlee is offline Find More Posts by chlee
Old Dec 09, 2002, 10:32 PM
Foamie Hater
Joined Jul 2001
308 Posts
Sounds to me you guys need to learn how to hand catch
flyerman is offline Find More Posts by flyerman
Old Dec 09, 2002, 10:37 PM
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Jun 2002
1,181 Posts
I tried that and had a 50lb dog hit me it the chest and knock both the plane and my radio out of my hands
mlehman is offline Find More Posts by mlehman
Old Dec 09, 2002, 10:41 PM
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
Joined Nov 2001
3,504 Posts
That plane was doomed from the get go...

Didn't everyone see the OU sticker on the wing!

Go Wildcats!!!
KSU Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KSU Flyer
Old Dec 09, 2002, 10:42 PM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,350 Posts
If the props weren't so sharp and didn't move so fast (I MIGHT try this with my MPS if it doesn't have too fast an RPM rate), you could show the dog the plane, and then turn the prop on at it's LOWEST setting, and bumps the dog's nose with it. But, due to the sharp nature of most all electric props, I wouldn't even do that to myself. Perhaps fit a foam prop on the prop shaft and try this. The dog may learn to avoid the plan altogether. If not, go to Wally World and get the cheapest, weakest BB gun you can find. Make sure it can't puncture a can at 25 feet, but still stings (airsoft guns work great here, but most that are readily available and easy for the uninitiated to use have poor range). Use this to ward the dogs off as you run to your plane. Anything you do as a result of reading this is not my fault! (The prop thing was more of a joke). Please keep this in mind!

Nick R.
KnifeEdge51 is offline Find More Posts by KnifeEdge51
Old Dec 09, 2002, 11:26 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Nick, I don't think that pulling out any gun and pointing it at a dog in a public park is going to help anything. Might get you put in jail or maybe even shot. (well, at least in Florida )

Reminds me of the National Lampoon subscription ad with the picture of a gun to a dogs head; "buy this magazine or the dog gets it".

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Dec 09, 2002, 11:37 PM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,350 Posts
Well, I wasn't thinking about a public park. For some reason, I pictured a more private area, such as a privately owned piece of land. Why I thought this, I don't know. Go figure.

Actually, we use an old Daisy BB gun that my father (somewhere in his 40's) has had since he was 12. I've been shot by it before, and it's rather pathetic. I do suppose the airsoft would be a bit realistic for use anywhere other than public land, or a secluded area (which is where they should be used). In any case, the use of the above items in public was intended as a joke.

So, how about a leash or a tennis ball?

Nick R.
KnifeEdge51 is offline Find More Posts by KnifeEdge51
Old Dec 10, 2002, 01:03 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
My scratch built own design bipe was eaten by a kids dog the day after this pic was taken! I haven't had the heart to build another although I get the plans out from time to time and think about it!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace