Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 30, 2007, 01:34 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Discussion
Aero Feather, Aero Feather II...

Here are some pics of the projects my nephew Nic and I are doing. His is the AF, built as a 3-d type, and mine is the biplane version, AF II. These are still in the design/building stage. Plans are planned for the near future. please wait, if you might be interested.
Aero Feather is the English translation of our Inupiaq Eskimo names. We're both named after my grandfather (his great-grandfather) "Suluuq". Actually, its arrow feather (fletchings), but I used aero because we're building planes.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2007, 07:24 AM
Joined Jul 2006
298 Posts
Nice -

Nice looking birds. Really like the paint jobs.
kf2qd is offline Find More Posts by kf2qd
Old Oct 30, 2007, 07:37 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Rusty, You're planes are always real beauties. Now we know you were named to fly! Pat
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old Oct 30, 2007, 11:28 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Thanks guys. Not just named to fly, but I come from three generations of actual pilots. I too took flying lessons back in '88, but I got airsick everyday. Always did. Discouraging, but Dad was proud, knowing I always got airsick, yet tried to learn anyway. Soloed, but gave up afterwards. Nic's dad, my brother Archie, is a pilot. My grandfather Archie was an Alaskan pilot pioneer in the old days.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 11:33 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Up date... Nic and I went and flew the Aero Feather II (biplane) last week, and it flew ell, yet Nic said it 'felt' a bit squirrelly. To help with this I added a few inches to the fuselage, and built another prototype. Plans are still pending. Here are a few pics of the new version of the AFII. No pics for the original in flight, as the camera didn't produce good pics (my bad).
BTW this version is made of FFF PB material. Original was 'C' Foam.
Plane is ready for it's maiden flight as soon as the weather decides it wants this plane buring holes in it!
Old Mar 23, 2008, 07:24 AM
Into the Wild Blue Wonder
ATL
Joined Jan 2007
1,018 Posts
Very nice lines on this plane, Rusty...I mean Arrow-Feather! And a great paint job!
My father's parents are Injuns, and our surname is Arrow-...Thats how I got the name of my little foamie company...Arrowplanes.com ....a play on "aero" as well.

Jasta
Jasta_66 is offline Find More Posts by Jasta_66
Old Mar 23, 2008, 08:39 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Thanks Jasta.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 08:44 AM
Planes are cool ;)
Bath, UK
Joined Dec 2006
756 Posts
Looking good! Really like the paint jobs. Can't wait for a maiden report!

Hugh
Hughbert is offline Find More Posts by Hughbert
Old Mar 23, 2008, 08:52 AM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Somewhere south of Chicago, IL
Joined Jan 2006
1,952 Posts
Rusty, you always have some of the most beautifully decorated planes - nice job! And I'm of the same opinion that the fuselage needed some additional length; looking at the original ones, they seemed to have a very short moment arm, which likely made them a bit "pitchy", eh?
magic612 is offline Find More Posts by magic612
Old Mar 23, 2008, 09:18 AM
Starting to Rebuild
Fayetteville NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,028 Posts
Nice touch, now get out there and make it fly.
Wingnut31 is offline Find More Posts by Wingnut31
Old Mar 24, 2008, 01:33 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic612
Rusty, you always have some of the most beautifully decorated planes - nice job! And I'm of the same opinion that the fuselage needed some additional length; looking at the original ones, they seemed to have a very short moment arm, which likely made them a bit "pitchy", eh?
Yes, I do believe it made them pitchy, "squirrelly" we call it up here "all over the dang place, with no where to go". I imagine this can be cancelled out to some degree using a programmable radio, but an improvement on design helps out a lot. Still too windy, as soon as the weather slows down a bit we'll head ut to fly the planes again. Until then, I'm staring up on the re-design of my old Bandit, now called the Backyard Bandit (fuselage is also longer). I'm going back to re-do some of my earlier failures, giving them new life.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 05:01 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Here are a few pics of the new version of the AFII. We flew it a while ago, and after a bit of trimming in-flight, she flew well. I haven't flown in about 5 months, and needed a few minutes to "get the flavor back". She flew simple circuits for about 7 minutes, and then made a nice belly landing. Also, this plane is a bit over 10 ounces, and flies 'heavy', no extra power to do much with, but fly she did.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 03:56 AM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Anchorage
Joined Dec 2005
1,238 Posts
Rusty,
Great looking plane, glad you can finally get out and fly a little, it is a little "spring" like here but I can't fly because I'm waiting on my new radio! Sucks too, we have had some really nice days with no wind. Ugh, maybe this week it will come in, anyway glad to see your are putting your Blucor to use!
Dak...
Dakrat is offline Find More Posts by Dakrat
Old Mar 26, 2008, 09:20 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Dak... Yup, we finally got a chance to fly some. Several flights only, but thats all we had time and weather for. Windy again. Time to build another plane...
Old Mar 26, 2008, 03:56 PM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Anchorage
Joined Dec 2005
1,238 Posts
Since your on the coast, have you though of making some type of "sloper" glider? Should fill in those windy days....
Dak
Dakrat is offline Find More Posts by Dakrat