SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 09, 2002, 05:58 PM
Joined Aug 2000
3,922 Posts
Curtiss P-6E Hawk

Has anyone got 3-views of this ship that shows the way the landing gear is attached to the fuselage, and how the springing works? These things aren't obvious from the Sqn Signal book, or the Profile, or George Cox 3-views.

Does the Paul Matt 3-view show these details perhaps? Or the Wylam drawings (which I used to have, but lost some time ago).

Thanks

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2002, 06:13 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Rex, NC "Extreme Boonies"
Joined Jan 2002
2,360 Posts
Here's a place...

Here's a place You can go, Allen has lots of 3-views,and he probably has several old vintage plans versions of that popular ship! Good-Hunting & try not to drool on the keyboard.. makes them go crazy.. I have to let mine dry fror an hour after going there.. Bob
http://www.modelairplaneplans.net/
Demon-Leather is offline Find More Posts by Demon-Leather
Old Dec 09, 2002, 09:51 PM
Crossville,TN 38555
Joined Apr 2001
29 Posts
P-6E landing gear

Wylam does show a detail of how the landing gear is sprung. I can scan and email you a copy.

John
John Blankenship is offline Find More Posts by John Blankenship
Old Dec 09, 2002, 09:53 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,407 Posts
I think the Cleveland plans show how the gear works. I have the original Cleveland Curtiss F6C-4 in my garage ( the model was built in 1936! as a display model) and the gear functions like the full size hawk--the whole gear leg is hinged at the fuselage lower longeron and a conitnuation of the gear continues inside the fuselage and is spring loaded for up and down movement. There was no front to rear movement of the gear--just up and down. Imagine looking at the plane from the nose sort of head on and the gear sort of forms an an upside down V ie ^ with the top of the inverted V (^) where the two legs come to a point being connected by spring (or rubber band in a model). the fulcrum for each leg is about 20-30% down the gear legs from the point of the ^. I also think Wylam plans show this. Hope it helps. Cleveland models has a web site.

Pat
Pat Daily is online now Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Dec 09, 2002, 09:57 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,407 Posts
Correction--if you visualize the gear as an X from the nose with the legs rotating around the lower longerons, the upper part of each X was attached to the opposite longeron with a spring.

Pat
Pat Daily is online now Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Dec 09, 2002, 11:05 PM
Crossville,TN 38555
Joined Apr 2001
29 Posts
I have taken a piece from the Wylam dwg that I think will answer your question. If not, let me know.

John
John Blankenship is offline Find More Posts by John Blankenship
Old Dec 10, 2002, 09:36 AM
Joined Aug 2000
3,922 Posts
Thanks for your help guys, and the scanned detail John.

Attached is the detail from a P-6E photo in the Sqn Signal book. There appear to be a couple of metal braces attached to the lg leg near the top, and one wonders if there's enough space within the fuselage for the sprung oleo mechanism.

However, the inboard-sloping angled member might be additional strengthening brace for the crank linking the leg to the oleo, and the aft-angled one could doa similar job in bracing the leg against bending backwards.

Any more ideas please, guys?

I'm thinking of a model around 70in span, probably about 10.5lb weight for 25 cells. I guess that a dural blade u/c, or even a carbon fibre blade type would be sufficient. Maybe even a torsion bar style, with the bar positioned parallel to the lower longerons.

Food for thought!

One thing for sure - the white Snow Owl scheme of the 17th FS is a bobby-dazzler.

Thanks

Gordon
Old Dec 10, 2002, 09:37 AM
Joined Aug 2000
3,922 Posts
And another
Old Dec 10, 2002, 10:13 AM
Joined Aug 2000
3,922 Posts
A bit more delving, and I found a cutaway drawing!

Item 53 is the oleo shock strut/rebound spring
Item 54 is shock strut pivot point
Item 45 is the lg strut pivot
Item 42 is a "strut support forged frame member"

Thanks for your help guys - I think I understand it now

Gordon
Last edited by Gordon; Dec 10, 2002 at 10:18 AM.