HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2007, 04:01 PM
Joined Jul 2003
139 Posts
Discussion
1/2A Tomahawk

Hi, I am looking to replace a plane I had (and crashed) a long time ago. It was a 1/2A, and looked like the Velco Dumas Tomahawk. Was there a 1/2A version?
Thanks,
Pat
Pat-F is offline Find More Posts by Pat-F
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2008, 11:13 AM
Joined Sep 2007
5 Posts
You might check Brodacks catalog they sell plans for a full size Tomahawk.
flyboy49Mo is offline Find More Posts by flyboy49Mo
Old Aug 19, 2008, 04:02 AM
TGC
AMA1940
Indian Lake, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat-F
Hi, I am looking to replace a plane I had (and crashed) a long time ago. It was a 1/2A, and looked like the Velco Dumas Tomahawk. Was there a 1/2A version?
Thanks,
Pat

There was ... The Dumas Little Tomahawk. Span = 26 3/4" ; Area = 125 aq. in.

I believe Clarence Lee designed the original Tomahawk in 1961 with a 41" wingspan for .19 - .35 engines - it was kitted by Veco.
TGC is offline Find More Posts by TGC
Last edited by TGC; Sep 15, 2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:17 PM
Joined Jul 2003
139 Posts
Hi, thanks for the reply. That first picture looks just like it. Is that a kit in your collection?
Old Aug 19, 2008, 08:02 PM
TGC
AMA1940
Indian Lake, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
187 Posts
Quote:
Hi, thanks for the reply. That first picture looks just like it. Is that a kit in your collection?

Hi Pat!

Unfortunately - no ... I really would like to build one someday, though. I'll probably have to try drawing up my own plans.

AMA Plans does list the 1950 Veco Scout 26" 1/2A (#30019 @ $10).

I'd like to see some pics or drawings of the Little Tomahawk and the Veco Scout, Brave, Papoose & Warrior ...

Last edited by TGC; Sep 15, 2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 12:02 PM
Joined Jul 2003
139 Posts
Bummer. Well, now that I know what to look for, I'll have to watch eBay for it. I have also emailed Brodak to see if they have access to it. I haven't heard back yet. I'll also email Dumas, and see if they can help. I'll let you know if I find anything.
Thanks again.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 04:39 PM
TGC
AMA1940
Indian Lake, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
187 Posts
Quote:
Bummer. Well, now that I know what to look for, I'll have to watch eBay for it. I have also emailed Brodak to see if they have access to it. I haven't heard back yet. I'll also email Dumas, and see if they can help. I'll let you know if I find anything.
Thanks again.
Hi Pat!

I just read your post on SSW ... Sounds great!

Good Luck & anxious to see your dream come true!

Tom
Old Oct 22, 2008, 04:52 PM
Mike A.
Des Moines, IA
Joined Oct 2005
378 Posts
Quote:
Thanks again.
All the Dumas kits, plans, and dies (for their airplane kits) were sold to an outfit in Mississippi or Louisiana back in the mid '90's. They put out a few kits and sold a few at shows for a couple of years, but have long been out of production. I believe the operator may have passed away. I've seen nothing from them since. I do have one of their Thunderbird kits, that I acquired at the Des Moines Air-Expo, back in '95 or so. I traded them a Mustang Stunter kit (Genuine Dumas kit) for it. A buddy of mine "traded" them another original Dumas kit (I don't remember which), for one of their kits, which they were supposed to ship to him after they got back home. He never received anything, even after numerous phone calls and letters. I don't think that they ever actually produced anything except the large, full-fuse stunters.

Best of luck in your search, though. I've seen these on ebay before.

Mike A
mikeainia is online now Find More Posts by mikeainia
Old Oct 22, 2008, 05:07 PM
Joined Jul 2003
139 Posts
Thank you for the replies. On the other forum, I found someone willing to send me a set of plans. If they're anything like my Crusader plans (another Dumas kit) the parts will be shown, but not at full scale. So when I get them, I'll have to draw the parts in CAD. I'm trying to find a program that will allow me to scan directly to DXF or DWG formats, it would make it a lot easier.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 07:58 PM
Joined Oct 2008
816 Posts
Pat-F, If you do get this into a pdf format I would like a copy.

LT
lightthings is offline Find More Posts by lightthings
Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:33 PM
Joined Jul 2003
139 Posts
I have a program that will "print to PDF", so I should be able to send you a copy. It all depends on how long it takes me to digitize it, and if enough of the parts are shown. I would like to draw the parts in CAD, then scale them up so that they are full size.
Old Mar 03, 2009, 04:07 PM
Joined Jul 2003
139 Posts
Here are the plans, I could not post them (file size was too big) so I'm put them on a Photo-Bucket site.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...t-f/Plan-1.png

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u184/Pat-f/Parts.jpg
Old Mar 03, 2009, 06:37 PM
Joined Oct 2008
816 Posts
Pat, could you provide the measuments of the parts sheet? Any one sheet would do for my use. Or all sheets. For scaling purposes.

I need to find out if my printer will support .png format. My browser does!
The images look great my friend, thanks.
LT
Old Mar 03, 2009, 07:37 PM
Joined Jul 2003
139 Posts
I guess a dimension would help wouldn't it.

The sheet with the ribs is 2" x 24". The rest of the sheets should be scaled in proportion to that.
Old Mar 03, 2009, 10:26 PM
Joined Oct 2008
816 Posts
Yes. It helps that they are all together so that when one is scaled the rest will follow suit. Now had each sheet been scanned seperately...

Thanks again friend!
LT