HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2009, 10:04 AM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,812 Posts
Helo Pencon,

Ken is correct. The thread is not dead, just slow moving.

It is a great plane and assembles fast. Regretably I did not get it into the paint booth fast enough and got kicked out.

Now I am in Houston (where it snowed!) on business.

I do intend to finish it over the holidays!

Cheers

Greg
Greg Beshouri is online now Find More Posts by Greg Beshouri
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2009, 11:34 AM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,196 Posts
Hi Pencon,
As the guys have said its not dead!..it really is a great plane..it flies very well and looks sooo cool flying..it always gets a large groups of on lookers when I fly mine..ithink the big probelm is a lot of guys buy but just done have the time to build and they just sit on the bench..other like me have no self control and keep geting into other projects and dont finnish the ones I have started...I need to finnish my take off dolly and paint..But it does have about 12 flights on it..
Scott
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Mar 06, 2010, 07:45 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,812 Posts
Finally out of the paint booth!

Well in a bit of symmetry (see post 144) I finished painting in a mad dash to get out of the paint booth before my trip to Europe next week.

Not perfect....but not bad! My wife just repainted the living room using "frog tape" on the edges. I tried it out and was extremely impressed. Paint apparently activates the tape making the final seal and there is ZERO bleed thru!

I hope to add the markings tomorrow, seal coat it...and then hang it up until I return.

Happy flying

Greg
Old Mar 06, 2010, 10:01 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,196 Posts
Nice Greg! I assume you will be sloping this! ..no power plant!
Old Mar 06, 2010, 10:51 PM
Albuquerque New Mexico
Joined Jun 2002
367 Posts
Hey Greg,

The Comet came out really nice. Are you going to put any decals or markings on it? If so and with your permission we would like to get a photo to use on our web site. We have not yet gotten around to painting one for use on the site and it would be really nice to have one that was painted.

Best regards,
Ken Williams
K&A Models
Ken Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ken Williams
Old Mar 07, 2010, 10:43 AM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,812 Posts
Hi Scott and Ken,

Scott, it is a power plane, see post 135. I just remove the prop and put on the little piece of fuse I had to cut off for display purposes.

Ken, I have marking by Callie which I hope to put on today. Then clearcoat and it will be done! I would be honored to have a picture on your site.

I still need to decide how I want to attach the canopy. Is there any progress on that ABS cockpit of Scott's?

Happy flying

Greg
Old Mar 07, 2010, 11:27 AM
Coldwater, Mi. USA
Joined Jul 2000
812 Posts
Very nice Greg,

I'm looking forward to following your progress.

Thanks for the tip on FROG tape.

-DG
Dave Grife is online now Find More Posts by Dave Grife
Old Mar 07, 2010, 02:44 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,812 Posts
Hi Dave,

Yeah Frog Tape rocks!

Pgroess is going to grind to a halt after today for ~3weeks....
Old Mar 08, 2010, 05:30 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,812 Posts
Almost done

Here are a few more pict's of the nearly completed plane.

Decals by Callie, paint by http://www.warbirdcolors.com/. I tried air brushing clear coat for the first time. It seemed to work well but it is really tough to see where you are spraying it.

I decided I want to mount the canopy from the inside so I can retain the really cool fiberglass frame already embedded in the fuselage. I just need to figure out how to make it removable. So I taped it from the inside which is why the two side frames windows are missing right now.

One of the things I really like about the model is the level of molded in detail. Not too little and not to much. It looks great, especially with paint.

I guess the next thing is to learn weathering.

First flight next month.

Happy flying

Greg
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:16 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Wow! great job love the 163B.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Apr 10, 2010, 08:36 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,196 Posts
Hi Greg,
have you flown yours yet?....I took mine out again yesterday after sitting for along time..I forgot just how fast it is on a eflite 480..its was windy and I think i need to move the cg a tic forward as i was pitching a lot but man its fun..every one at the field was amazed by how well it flies and its speed
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:34 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,812 Posts
No, still haven't flown mine.

I went out of town as soon as soon as I finished painting it. It needs about 1 hr more of work and I haven't had the chance. Going out of town next week.... but it will eventually fly, probably in May, about a year after I intended (see post 140)....

Greg
Old Apr 17, 2010, 07:48 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,812 Posts
Finished!

I finally got home from my travels, unlike my colleagues that are trapped on the wrong side of the Atlantic by the volcano.

I came up with a mediocre way to attach the canopy, at least to get thru the first flight. Now I just need to add a hook and go! AUW is 31.75 oz.

Probably won't try to fly it until I am home for a while and have a chance to hone my flying skills.....mid May? Ouch!

Happy flying!

Greg
Last edited by Greg Beshouri; Apr 17, 2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 05:45 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,196 Posts
Hi Greg, I was playing with the CG on mine and it flies much nicer with the cg at 100mm back from the leading edge where the wings meet the fuse(joint)...have fun...its a blast to fly.Ken will update the manual
Scott
Old May 16, 2010, 03:18 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,812 Posts
I finally got in a first flight, more of a first circuit really.

Scott had originally suggested 1/8” reflex and +/-1/8” elevator travel. The reflex seemed like a lot and the travel not enough, so I compromised with less reflect and more travel. MISTAKE! At least I went with the 100 mm CG

For the first flight I went to the Berkeley Marina. It is a big space and you launch from the top of the hill (this is also a local slope site.) I bungeed (per Ken’s recommendation). It came off the bungee hook cleanly though with substantial down. Good thing were on top of a hill!

I was mesmerized, almost forgetting to hit the throttle. I eventually did hit the throttle and pulled up. The plane responded immediately zooming toward the heavens like a rocket. Roll control was excellent but between the inadequate reflex and excessive travel I PIO’ed all over the sky just missing trees. I decided to put it down to reset the trim. This landing was hot and I put it down in some talk grass, dislodging the motor mount. I had no CA and decided to be happy with the first flight.

Did I say this thing is fast! In the one circuit it was probably doing 90 mph. In addition, even with excessive elevator travel there was no sign of stall or wing drop. With proper reflex and less expo I think it would happily fly at those throws!

I hope to take it out next Tuesday, maybe just slop it first to sort out the trims.

Cheers

Greg