HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2002, 09:46 AM
Carol Stream, IL USA
Joined Jun 2001
13 Posts
New Astro Flight BL motor for LMH Corona 120

I've been talking to Astro Bob for some time about making a version of the 020 Brushless for the LMH.

About a year ago, I had installed one of the original, sensored 020 BL motors, using the stock pinion, and flew it on 7 and then 8 cells. I did have to elongate the holes in the plywood motor mount to be able to use the motor's mounting holes. It seemed to have good power and did not get hot. On the very first discharge of an 8 cell Sanyo RC 2400 pack I had just assembled, I got a 9 minute hover time.

With the sensorless versions of the Astro BL motors, Bob has been able to get significantly more power out of the same size and weight motor, as he explains in the other thread about the 020 BL version for the Voyager E. And, the new ESC can handle more cells and current than the old sensored version. As has been reported here before, the LMH does not fly as well if it is too light, because with the fixed pitch, the rpm will be too slow and control response will be very sloppy, so there seems to be no point in using cells smaller than the full sub-C size in the Corona. I'll try to do some tests later with more cells when I get time.

This new version is a drop-in replacement for the brushed can motors the kit is sold with. using the same approx. 1" bolt spacing and a 1/8" motor shaft, so no mods are required to install. As I tell my friends, it's simple enough for a pilot to do! The LMH 020 is a 4 turn winding and using two 4 degree pitch blade grips, my aircraft hovers at one half throttle stick position, just like the "big guys".

Since most of my electric helicopter experience is with a 16 cell Astro FAI 25 conversion of a Kyosho Concept 30 I made about 9 years ago and my Logo 20, I wanted to get other opinions, so I asked a couple of friends who work at my LHS to fly it. They sell and fly a lot of LMH machines there and have seen a lot of different variations, including a much larger Hacker 40 car motor with fins. Since it is now winter in Chicago and very cold and windy, our flying has been mostly short hops, somewhat sheltered by the canopy over the sidewalk in front of the hobby shop, so I've not been able to time a complete flight yet. Both of these guys said that it seemed to have plenty of power and that they "really liked" the way the throttle response and curve felt.

On 8 cells at hover power I show about 12 amps current, so I expect well over 10 minute hover times. Bob tells me that he hopes to have them available for sale some time in January.

John Liberg
FlyBoy John is offline Find More Posts by FlyBoy John
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2002, 02:28 PM
Carol Stream, IL USA
Joined Jun 2001
13 Posts
Quick update -- 11 minute hover time, some in, some out of ground effects, in 3 - 5 mph wind.

Astro Bob says probably the same price as the other direct drive BL 020's -- $99.95 for motor only, $189.95 with controller.

Motor weighs about 2.5 oz, controller well under 1 oz with all wires.

I'll try to attach a photo.

John Liberg
FlyBoy John is offline Find More Posts by FlyBoy John
Old Dec 11, 2002, 02:19 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2002
573 Posts
John
that installation looks neat.
you do good work.
keep us posted on flight test results
Astrobob
astrobob is offline Find More Posts by astrobob
Old Dec 11, 2002, 04:05 PM
Joined Apr 2000
2,300 Posts
Astrobob: what's the collar around the bottom of the motor, a heat sink?

Hank
HankF is offline Find More Posts by HankF
Old Dec 11, 2002, 10:29 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2002
573 Posts
the collar is a 1.125 inch diameter flange
that contains the two mounting screws
1 inch apart. the motor is slighly smaller
than 1 inc in diameter
that way you can use the original mounting
slots desingned for the original ferrite motor

Astrobob
astrobob is offline Find More Posts by astrobob
Old Oct 10, 2003, 10:28 PM
North Central Positronics
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,323 Posts
Heat sink

This motor works great, but who makes a heat sink for it?

Thanks,

Bill Davenport

AMA 28141
badbill is online now Find More Posts by badbill
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2003, 12:40 AM
Kent, Washington
Joined Nov 2002
368 Posts
Use a GWS motor mount/heat sink for the 300 motors. They are available at aeromicro under misc. Two of them will fit on the motor and cost $12 shipped. I have them and my motor just barely gets warm.

http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/mis...6_products.htm
Bourbon is offline Find More Posts by Bourbon
Last edited by Bourbon; Oct 11, 2003 at 12:43 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 04:48 AM
Honolulu Intl, Hawaii, United States
Joined Feb 2003
1,502 Posts
Have you seen the new version? I used to run the older one and it got quite hot, I just installed this one in my Eolo, I haven't yet flew it as I'm waiting on battery packs. I can't wait to see how effective the new can with integrated heatsinks is.

check it out
Astro30 is offline Find More Posts by Astro30
Old Oct 11, 2003, 01:31 PM
Belle Chasse Southern, Louisiana, United States
Joined Apr 2002
877 Posts
I just purchased a new Astro 020 Corona combo from Aero Micro and prior to ordering I emailed them and asked if it was the new version and they said it was.
I got it in and it looks just like the older cans I have seen in other posts. NO intergrated heatsink.

Is the one they are making with the heatsink made for the corona too?

Just like to know if I got stiffed or I need to machine my own heatsink for this thing.

I have not flown it yet as I just installed it last night and it is raining outside today but I have test run it for a few minutes inside to make sure it was set up right and it did get rather warm running for just that few minutes.
Flyingfool is offline Find More Posts by Flyingfool
Old Oct 11, 2003, 03:11 PM
Joined Feb 2003
1,502 Posts
Yup, that new one's made for the Corona, new design box and everything that says for the Corona. Looks like they misled you.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 03:40 PM
Joined Apr 2002
877 Posts
Were there any other changes made to the new style motor other than the heat sink can?

If not I can just make my own heat sink for the motor being I have a lathe and milling machine that I never use.

Hmm I wonder if there is a market for a nice polished heat sink for the old style AF motor>
Old Oct 11, 2003, 03:44 PM
Kent, Washington
Joined Nov 2002
368 Posts
I don't think you'll find a market. The GWS ones fit really nice, and they're only $2.75 each. Two of them fit the motors perfectly. The ones I have on mine keep the motor cooler than my batteries.
Bourbon is offline Find More Posts by Bourbon
Old Oct 11, 2003, 03:45 PM
Joined Feb 2003
1,502 Posts
I think there would be a good market for the heatsink.

I believe there were one or two other changes made also, something having to do with the magnets I believe as people have froze the motor due magnets coming loose.

I'm not 100% sure exactly what it was though, maybe someone can chime in but yes, I believe there were other changes made too.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 03:51 PM
Joined Apr 2002
877 Posts
I would be willing to bet that if the magnets were breaking loose in the motor that it was caused from the heat issue which would be solved with a good heat sink.

I'm thinking right now that I would design it to look like the one on the hacker motor but nice and polished.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 03:56 PM
Joined Feb 2003
1,502 Posts
yea, you could be right.