Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 27, 2007, 11:19 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,689 Posts
Discussion
A Kurt Tank rarity - TA-154 - some thoughts

After building and de-bugging the Henschel HS-129, I was looking for another suitable aircraft to do a simplified Depron-and-balsa model of. Again, a subject that was relatively rare appealed to me and also one which would not clutter up the workbench for long stretches as I have another Peter Rake prototype on its way, plus a possible entry into the upcoming twin competition here on rcgroups.

I like to get my resources from the 'net as much as possible, and after a lot of searching became attracted to another WW2 German machine - the Focke-Wulfe TA-154. It has been modelled very little - You-Tube showed one German I/C version and Ezone indicated that it was on a few 'must do it one day' lists.

Perhaps not a very exciting prototype - a fairly good-looking aircraft, a product of the desperate final phase of German aircraft development, the 'Moskito' was inspired by the DH Mosquito and due to metal shortages, was designed to be of all wood construction, and easily built. Designed at the outset as a night-fighter, the TA-154 was also considered for day roles but never reached effective active service.

My 'net searching found two books, many original factory drawings plus hundreds of photos and 3-views.

First thoughts are for a 1/12 scale madel - same as my HS129, using the same proven power train, Depron and balsa construction, simplified details and maybe spring-air retracts. It will also be my first tricycle UC model

Anyone with thoughts on the subject or who knows of models of the aircraft - I'd love to hear comments.

Pat (what have I got myself into?)
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Oct 28, 2007 at 01:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2007, 02:32 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
895 Posts
At our electric fly in in Sydney a guy had one of these. Fitted with 2 x speed 400's & recently updated to lipos.

I'm waiting for pix from the day, hopefully with this model. I'll post them when I get them. - John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Oct 28, 2007, 03:59 AM
Malanda, QLD Australia
Joined Jul 2004
968 Posts
Pat, there are 2 plastic models of the Ta-154 if you need a 3D shape for reference- a 1/72 kit by PM which is inaccurate & difficult to build, & a nice 1/48 kit by DML/Dragon.

Both kits were re-issued by Revell, so beware the Revell 1/72 Ta-154! You get the dire PM kit in a nice Revell box.
Rich
Zephyr41 is offline Find More Posts by Zephyr41
Old Oct 28, 2007, 06:15 AM
No substitue for watts!
Lancing, West Sussex, England
Joined Oct 2003
391 Posts
Nice looking plane - fortunate for the allies that they used acidic glue on the full-size! There was a free plan of a 400-sized one in one of the UK mags a year or three ago, designed by Tony Nijhuis.

Perhaps this is all I need to go and find the plan...
Tom Gaskin is offline Find More Posts by Tom Gaskin
Old Oct 28, 2007, 03:33 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,689 Posts
Just when one thinks they've found a rarity - plans spring up from everywhere! Not as rare a subject as I'd thought

Still, I may go ahead and see how difficult it would be to do another 'quick and dirty' build. Different problems to solve etc........

Thanks for the interest folks.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Oct 28, 2007, 04:33 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,689 Posts
Tom - I believe the Tony Nijhuis design was one of his 'dog-fight doubles' from RCME June 2004.
I dont have it but will enquire among my modelling friends who have more magazines than I!

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2007, 09:39 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,689 Posts
Thinking out Loud!

Since I dont have other modellers to discuss such things with - you folk have the pleasure of being able to ignore my musings

A 1/12 scale '154 works out at 53.5" span, has 3" diameter wheels and 10" scale props. The cowlings/nacelles are 4.25" diameter and the fuselage about 5" X 5" at its max cross section. Wing is around 1.25" thick with a max chord of about 9.5"

My HS 129 to a similar scale weighed about 2.5 lb but was slightly smaller at 48" so I'd envisage this model could be around 3.5 with a nose wheel and possibly retracts - unless I shrink it slightly to suit the smaller props I have for scale - GWS 9X7 - span would be 49".

The slightly larger option appeals to me more.

Fuselage is much more difficult as it is curved in all directions - I think a Depron wing and a Depron/balsa fuselage. soft balsa sheet tail surfaces as I found Depron a bit fragile here when cartwheeling along the ground

The WBPU-and-glass cloth over the depron offered marginal ding resistance so may look at thinned epoxy/glass or even tissue as a surface treatment.

Pat (just thinking)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:57 PM
Suspended Account
Grove City, PA
Joined Sep 2007
955 Posts
From what I've read, that plane was supposed to be better than the Mosquito and P38. German hierarchy and politics kept it out.
You know I'll say you should build it.
With my quick build methods, I'd say a GWS P38 wing and a set of GWS A10 replacement nacelles would be a good start.

Add to the list of overmodelled Focke Wulf planes.
Bill Covert is offline Find More Posts by Bill Covert
Old Oct 28, 2007, 11:16 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,689 Posts
Bill - your '189 probably inspired me to do another "Overmodelled" subject
My overmodelled HS129 flew so well I had to do something similar and see if I've learnt anything.
The other overmodelled FW is of course the big one! I've been lusting after a military '200 for ages but thought I'd work my way up.

Pat (Viva la Luftwaffe )
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2007, 08:14 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,563 Posts
A Condor? Good choice Pat. That was one that was another airplane far ahead of it's time. You know the multi-engine contest is looming soon!

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Oct 29, 2007, 04:33 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,689 Posts
Charlie - I agree, the Condor would be a great model. I guess it has been done before but for some, it falls into the 'airliner' catagorey - not even as exciting as a heavy bomber - and it has an awkward undercarriage!

That said, I just love the bulges and blisters and various bumps and appendages the military version had - hmmm..........

The TA 154 was appealing as a follow-on to the now successful Henschel 129 but maybe I should push the envelope a bit? - it would really be just another twin with much the same appeal and characteristics.

Maybe I'll let the '154 project simmer for a while........

Pat (so many planes...........)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2007, 08:37 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,512 Posts
I 'believe' the main reason that the 154 never saw production was that the only supplier for the glue was destroyed during a bombing raid. Some other not often modeled Luftwaffe twins would be the Me210 and Me410, both very sexy and of course the very advanced He-219 Uhu.
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Oct 30, 2007, 09:05 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,689 Posts
Glue problems were certainly a factor - I understand the glue used in the DH Mossie was the forerunner to Araldite - went on to be winner

The aircraft designed and produced by German industry in the last years of WW2 were amazing - despite the huge pressures and destruction - still they came. Some of those later twins are very 'sexy' - so much to choose from

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2007, 10:22 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
Can't get more deranged then the nazi hierachy when it comes to awarding contracts to their manufacturers. I suppose we have to thank the clown who chose the revamped Me-110 over the He-219 Uhu, even after one shot down 5 Lancasters in one night. How about the 'hotrod' lightened He-219 that was built to chase Mosquitos, now that was sexy.
Steve
floss is offline Find More Posts by floss
Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:29 AM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,512 Posts
Every government contract regardless of time or country is full of corruption. I'm sure there were kickbacks and that was the reason that certain companies were the preferred vendors.

Here are some plastic model pics to stir the creative juices.

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/he219a7dwa_1.htm

http://www.hyperscale.com/galleries/2001/me210sp_1.htm

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/me%20410ba_1.htm

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/me410ep_1.htm

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/ta154bg_1.htm

http://hyperscale.com/galleries/ta15448pc_1.htm

http://hsfeatures.com/ta154bc_1.htm
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Last edited by SteveC68; Oct 31, 2007 at 11:35 AM.