HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2007, 05:05 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHELBY1
How to eliminate the wobble on the spinners, at least how I did it.
The 2410-9Y motors have long shafts on them. What I did was cut them down and install prop adapters. The backplate on the Dubros was drilled just enough to clear the first step on the back of the prop adapter. So when it is installed it seats on the back of the prop adapter. Assembly goes something like this. Backplate, prop adapter body, prop, prop adapter nut, spinner nosecone, spinner screws.

This way the prop is on tight, and the backplate and spinner are centered and tight on the prop and adapter. Just watch when you tighten the mount screws on the nosecone. If you go too far on one of them they can tend to jamb and not allow the nose cone to seat correctly on the backplate. Hence a wobble.

Also check to be sure the adapter isn't riding on one of the prop blades. If it is the nose cone won't seat fully and you get the wobble.

Thanks a lot for long and detailed answer. However I am not asking about 3rd party spinners I have no problem with them. My issue is specific with the thin stock spinner that comes with the kit. They are too thin and soft by itself to be secured reliable by collet prop adaptor.
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2007, 09:21 PM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,019 Posts
I used the clear plastic spacer in front of the three bladed prop mounted with a small washer to distribute the load. I then cut the openings for the three bladed prop such that the actual nose cone is supported by the spacer and the three blade roots. I mounted with two scrws per instructons. I skipped the ply back plate and the ply washer. The hardest part in mounting the cowlings and the spinners is to get a sharp (new) 1/16 drill bit to make the holes accurately. One of my spinners is slightly off due to this but it is easy to redo.
kasra is offline Find More Posts by kasra
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2007, 11:29 AM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasra
...The hardest part in mounting the cowlings and the spinners is to get a sharp (new) 1/16 drill bit to make the holes accurately. One of my spinners is slightly off due to this but it is easy to redo.
for making small holes in plastic, i use a hot t pin held in small vice grips...
gunracer is offline Find More Posts by gunracer
Old Nov 07, 2007, 02:43 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
7,021 Posts
Maybe this is what I need. I've destroyed two Nitroplanes P-38's in the last year, both to tipstalling. The last one was on its 3rd flight and it augered in from about 40 ft. I want another P-38 and not only does this one look great, you can't beat the price since it comes with motors, ESC, and wiring. An easy hand-launch I'm assuming, for those that left off the landing gear?
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Nov 08, 2007, 03:31 AM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,019 Posts
The hand launch is very easy and the plane also slows down well without tip stalling.

Gunracer, Thanks for that tip.

Kasra
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2007, 10:32 AM
Athens, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,669 Posts
P-38 on sale!

New Creations R/C has it on sale and in stock. I got mine yesterday. Call Kirk Massey at 936-856-4630.
ekotil is offline Find More Posts by ekotil
Old Nov 10, 2007, 11:40 PM
Formerly Denver. Now West Bend, WI
Joined Dec 2005
2,063 Posts
I'm in the process of building my kit and had a few questions. Nice kit BTW

I'm missing one of the plastic canopy hooks that attach to the canopy/rubber band. It wasn't in the kit
Seeing that the piece is missing... what other solutions have people used to attach the canopy? I was considering canopy magnets, but not sure how to fit them

Also, I don't want to use velcro to secure the turbo charger covers. It looks too loose. Do they need to be removeable? I might just attach them with a couple of dabs of foam safe CA. Any reason to not just glue them in place?
LuckyDuc is offline Find More Posts by LuckyDuc
Old Nov 11, 2007, 02:33 AM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,019 Posts
I used velcro on the canopy mainly to allow some room for the battery pack to get some air. I have found the battery pack does not get that warm anyways so I am not sure this was necessary. I used velcro on the pod covers also. I think CA should work fine. I like to have access for inspection. PM me your address and I can mail the hooks to you.

Kasra
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2007, 02:39 AM
Joined Dec 2006
16 Posts
Duc,

A servo horn works out the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuc
I'm in the process of building my kit and had a few questions. Nice kit BTW

I'm missing one of the plastic canopy hooks that attach to the canopy/rubber band. It wasn't in the kit
Seeing that the piece is missing... what other solutions have people used to attach the canopy? I was considering canopy magnets, but not sure how to fit them

Also, I don't want to use velcro to secure the turbo charger covers. It looks too loose. Do they need to be removeable? I might just attach them with a couple of dabs of foam safe CA. Any reason to not just glue them in place?
Devilic Angel is offline Find More Posts by Devilic Angel
Old Nov 11, 2007, 03:34 AM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilic Angel
Duc,

A servo horn works out the problem.
And looks nicer in the process

Kasra
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2007, 12:43 PM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
screw down the turbo charger covers for a tighter fit...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=395
gunracer is offline Find More Posts by gunracer
Old Nov 11, 2007, 03:56 PM
Joined Dec 2005
2,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasra
I used velcro on the canopy mainly to allow some room for the battery pack to get some air. I have found the battery pack does not get that warm anyways so I am not sure this was necessary. I used velcro on the pod covers also. I think CA should work fine. I like to have access for inspection. PM me your address and I can mail the hooks to you.

Kasra
Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll try the servo horn trick as I have plenty laying around the work bench.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 03:57 PM
Joined Dec 2005
2,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunracer
screw down the turbo charger covers for a tighter fit...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=395
Thanks for the tip
Old Nov 11, 2007, 06:55 PM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
Another trigger pulled on this one. I've been trying to decide on my next Alfa warbird purchase, but after some issues with HL and seeing this I think it's time to expand my horizons to another manufacturer.

Only 2 Q's...will HS-55's work? And is mixing the two motors for pseudo rudders effective and/or recommended?

Thanks for the great info on this model guys...it looks like a real sweetheart.
Harv is offline Find More Posts by Harv
Old Nov 11, 2007, 07:37 PM
latinflyer
United States, CA, Milpitas
Joined Dec 2004
747 Posts
Well,
I think I miss alot since my last post; I have been flying formation with Kasra and let me tell u, at less you are flying like us u don't know what u missing.
It's a joy and fun to fly two P-38's it is completely different than other airplanes not to forget the scale look It is fast and can slow down also. I am very pleased with performance. I hope to keep flying with Kasra, very good pilot and comrad.
I will bring my camera again so we can shoot more pic in mid air.

Latinflyer.
latinflyer is offline Find More Posts by latinflyer