HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2007, 10:09 AM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,576 Posts
Hey guys...I got my P-38 on Monday! I am overall pleased with it, but there is a mushed up wing tip and tail tip. These aren't too bad but will need some massaging back to shape. I should be able to fix these spots with no trouble. I would also like to sand down the ridge that is on the top and bottom of the booms.

What I need help with is...Has anyone found THE paint that is a very close match for the Green?
barmonkey is offline Find More Posts by barmonkey
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2007, 10:54 AM
Formerly Denver. Now West Bend, WI
Joined Dec 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmonkey
Hey guys...I got my P-38 on Monday! I am overall pleased with it, but there is a mushed up wing tip and tail tip. These aren't too bad but will need some massaging back to shape. I should be able to fix these spots with no trouble. I would also like to sand down the ridge that is on the top and bottom of the booms.

What I need help with is...Has anyone found THE paint that is a very close match for the Green?
I used a mixture between Model Masters Braunviolett and Olive Drab. I couldn't find a perfect match.
LuckyDuc is offline Find More Posts by LuckyDuc
Old Dec 06, 2007, 02:33 PM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
Received mine yesterday! Whoohoo! It is most definitely not up to the display level of an Alfa, but it has nice scale lines, and from anything over six feet away it looks very nice in fact. It also comes in at $200 cheaper ready to fly than a comparably equipped Alfa Beaufighter, so the P-38 has a much better chance in the budget wars.

Assembly was quick and painless, with the only issue being a too long elevator pushrod. Once I caught on to the different way of applying decals they went nicely, and total build time was probably around six hours including radio setup.

Now all I need is a 20C increase in temperature, and it'll be maiden time.
Harv is offline Find More Posts by Harv
Old Dec 06, 2007, 02:57 PM
Joined Dec 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv
Received mine yesterday! Whoohoo! It is most definitely not up to the display level of an Alfa, but it has nice scale lines, and from anything over six feet away it looks very nice in fact. It also comes in at $200 cheaper ready to fly than a comparably equipped Alfa Beaufighter, so the P-38 has a much better chance in the budget wars.

Assembly was quick and painless, with the only issue being a too long elevator pushrod. Once I caught on to the different way of applying decals they went nicely, and total build time was probably around six hours including radio setup.

Now all I need is a 20C increase in temperature, and it'll be maiden time.
Wow Harv. Your fast!

This little bugger is too. You will be impressed with the performance. It definitely leaves a smile on my face after a flight BTW. What batteries are you going to use?

Where are your pre-maiden pics?
Old Dec 06, 2007, 05:29 PM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuc
Wow Harv. Your fast!
Yes, yes my wife keeps telling me that also.

I'll be using TP 3S 2100's with this. I hope/assume they'll still have enough ooomph to let this baby get up and go.

Pic should look similar to most others. This'll be a flopper only so I just taped the gear doors on with blenderm. Looks like a little reinforcement might be needed for the sliding parts though, so I'll have to get that done before spring.
Old Dec 06, 2007, 07:24 PM
Joined Dec 2005
2,061 Posts
You're going to wait till spring to fly it?
Old Dec 06, 2007, 09:09 PM
Blam!
Las Vegas
Joined Oct 2007
563 Posts
Anyone shoot video yet,
Unfortunately, I still have mine in the box... Between getting a new puppy and work I am to busy to even think about taking it out of the box
Daniel C is offline Find More Posts by Daniel C
Old Dec 07, 2007, 09:18 AM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
I'm afraid so Lucky. Unless we get a very rare combination of above freezing temps with no wind I'll just be looking at the P-38 until March or April.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/..._metric_e.html is a good indicator of things to come. That -29 number for tonight is pretty scary though.
Old Dec 07, 2007, 12:10 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,172 Posts
Just a tip for applying the decals which I found made it a lot easier ... I had a small LED pen light, and I would shine it underneath the decal as I held it just above where I wanted to position it. That way I could still see the decal's orientation through the white backing. You still can't see the plane underneath the decal, of course, but it did help me a lot in making sure I put decals on straight.
PerlAddict is offline Find More Posts by PerlAddict
Old Dec 08, 2007, 10:56 PM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,060 Posts
Love to see a video on this one, looks fantastic...

BEST..<>..
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Old Dec 09, 2007, 05:27 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnppmy
Love to see a video on this one, looks fantastic...

BEST..<>..
Yes, I did a search at YOU TUBE & PUTFILE and nothing......

However, I did see this fantastic RC Foamie Model at on the counter of my Local Hobby Shop and I feel it is better than the E-Flite's version as the foam on the PHASE3 is much more dense and stronger.

Comes with two Brushless Motors and two Brushless ESC's
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Dec 09, 2007, 11:16 AM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
check the emi thread - there were several clips posted there if i remember correctly...
gunracer is offline Find More Posts by gunracer
Old Dec 09, 2007, 11:22 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunracer
check the emi thread - there were several clips posted there if i remember correctly...
emi ???

Do you have any links?
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Dec 09, 2007, 10:57 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,172 Posts
Original EMI Thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=577451
PerlAddict is offline Find More Posts by PerlAddict
Old Dec 10, 2007, 02:09 AM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,019 Posts
I just posted my first video. Sorry for the quality. I need to get a real video camera. Many thanks to my friend Mike for taking the video. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784034
kasra is online now Find More Posts by kasra
RCG Plus Member