SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 26, 2007, 09:54 PM
Is everyone from California?
Orange County, NY
Joined May 2007
234 Posts
Discussion
Passer X just came!

OK, just got my passer x from RVM. I know there are posts here about this plane but they all kind of fizzle. I got the brushless upgrade with a 15C 1700mah lipo that swings an 11x6 prop and a 30 amp speed control. Does anyone have experience with this setup? I am also planning on picking up a fourth servo and mixing some ruddervator action. Any thoughts? Should I bother? I did see a video of this thing climbing out at way more than 45 degress but I do not know what kind of power setup it had. Also, their website does not appear to be operational at the moment and I am supposed to download the manual. I have built and flown plenty of stuff, so I sort of knew what to expect with a purchase like this, just looking to see what everyone else has come across. -Thanks
yaitsfast is offline Find More Posts by yaitsfast
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2007, 09:32 PM
Orange County, NY
Joined May 2007
234 Posts
Forgive my stupidity, but this is my first brushless endevour. Have I mounted this motor correctly? As it is right now, the outside of the cage spins because it is attached to what I think is the output shaft. I also received a hub that bolts on to the part of the motor that faces the rear right now with three screws. That hub has a large center stud with a threaded tip for what looks like a traditional prop install. This is the only way I could see making this install work, am I wrong? It seems weird that the wires come out the front of the motor, it would be much easier if they came out the back. But, in the slightly rediculous manual that came with this it looks like the motor is installed as I have it. I beleive this motor is an outrunner? And from what I have read an outrunner is supposed to have the outside cage part of the motor spin and the center stays attached. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 03:37 AM
Parts is parts
Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
Joined Nov 2004
266 Posts
It looks right from what I can see. With an outrunner the wiring stays stationary and the magnets, which are glued into the bell, spin and drive the shaft. Just make sure that the wires don't rub on the bell, or they'll short out eventually. If it runs backwards, switch any two wires and it will reverse direction.

dan
dogbreath is offline Find More Posts by dogbreath
Old Oct 30, 2007, 04:15 AM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
Either that's a reeeeeally big model or very small pliers you've got there!

Some guys run the wires outside the fuselage for a short distance (an inch or so) then back in so they won't foul the motor, then cover them with acooling scoop.

Nick
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser
Old Oct 30, 2007, 06:42 PM
Orange County, NY
Joined May 2007
234 Posts
Thanks for that insight Nick . Really I was holding the fuse up to the camera to get a better picture. While im asking questions, can someone explain to me how the deliniations of Lipos work? What does the C mean in a 15c battery or a 20c battery. Im good with voltage and mah. I will continue to post my progress.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 06:50 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,906 Posts
The max current for a pack is determined by multiplying the "C" rating times the pack size 2100 mah x 15C = 31.5 amps max current... for example, shifting a few decimal points.

Probably best for longer pack life to run it at about 80% capacity for any extended runs. (Personal theory )

R/E
rud-elev is offline Find More Posts by rud-elev
Old Oct 30, 2007, 07:09 PM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
Also, keep in mind that the C rating on cheaper packs tends to be optimistic. I try to never exceed 75% of the C rating, but then I use cheapo UH packs. I'm sure polyquest etc are different.

Nick
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser
Old Nov 01, 2007, 10:14 PM
Orange County, NY
Joined May 2007
234 Posts
Had some more time to work on the passer tonight. I didn't like the way the V tail attached, but couldnt really see a way to make it alot better, so I have posted what I came up with. It seemed kinda flimsy stock, so I made a filler piece out of hardwood and it really strengthened things up in the rear. I know this may add some weight, but I think it will be worth it. If anyone else has one of these with the brushless set up that comes with it I am really curious to know how much thrust it will have. Also, I am planning on putting the servos under the wings so I can put the battery closer to the front, and wondering if this will be close on the balance?
Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:27 PM
Orange County, NY
Joined May 2007
234 Posts
I managed to wire up the motor and speed control tonight and by golly it actually works. It seems to have lots of power and the battery didnt even get hot. The speed control plays a little song when you plug it in and then beeps three times. It wants to pull the fuse right out of my hand, so far I am not disapointed with the power setup. It also has a brake which is nice and is a 30 amp unit, I cant really see this motor drawing 30 amps but maybe, the prop is an 11x6? It doesn't seem to turn alot of RPM but has tons of torque. All I need to do now is mount the servo's in the fuse under the wing for the ruddervators and finish programing the radio. I have off from work next week so I should have some time to finish it then if not before. It is supposed to get cold and windy here in the northeast this weekend so Im really not in a hurry, all though I will say playing with it in the shop after I got it powered up does make my thumbs itch. I'll try and post some more photos as soon as I can.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 09:56 AM
Orange County, NY
Joined May 2007
234 Posts
Well, I maidened the passer yesterday and i have to say, very impressed. I had my dad hold it over his head and gave it about half throttle, had him give it a good toss and rolled on the remainder of the juice. It climbed right out in about 5-10 sec, I can't beleive how well it flies for a cheapo ebay gamble. I prob flew for 20 minutes on the first launch and actually got cold before the battery went dead so I finished off the flight with a hand catch, nice! Ater building this, I would def not say it is the highest quality, and I will not be doing any motor on speed passes with it, but over all for $200 for everything, you cant beat it. Theres a park behind the house that I can walk to and this little electric is perfect for it. Cant wait for it to get warm again, although I am an avid snowmobiler so not really Oh yea, one question, is it ok to recharge the lipo if it has not been fully discharged or should I run it down to nothing before charging again?
Old Nov 19, 2007, 10:30 AM
I need a bigger hangar
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2007
195 Posts
You can charge lipos at any time. No memory, no need to discharge. In fact, it's supposedly better if you don't go below about 80 pct discharged.

The tune your ESC plays says it's on. The number of beeps is the cell count of the battery. Then another tune to tell you it's armed and ready to work.
colecaz is offline Find More Posts by colecaz
Old Nov 20, 2007, 10:47 PM
Orange County, NY
Joined May 2007
234 Posts
Also, is there anyway to tell if the speed control has BEC? It came with really bad instructions. I guess I can just run it down and see if the motor shuts off and the controls are still working, but I wonder if there is any other way. It doesnt say it on the speed control, but the instructions hint at the fact that it does have BEC. Would hate to find out the hard way that it doesnt.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 09:10 AM
I need a bigger hangar
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2007
195 Posts
BEC = Battery Elimination Circuit

If your receiver runs without a battery, your ESC has a BEC. It powers the receiver via the red center wire in the throttle connection.

Overloading the BEC and causing it to shut down to protect itself is one of the leading causes of radio problems. Most are rated 4 micro servos or 3 standard when used with a 3 cell lipo
Old Nov 21, 2007, 03:28 PM
Orange County, NY
Joined May 2007
234 Posts
Thanks, so your saying if the ESC didnt have BEC it wouldnt work at all when the speed control is plugged into the receiver? If thats the case then I definetly have that option because everything works. I am using 4 HS55's.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 03:54 PM
I need a bigger hangar
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2007
195 Posts
If you don't have a separate battery plugged into the receiver then you do have a BEC in the ESC.