SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:22 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,170 Posts
Discussion
DragonOSD

Guys, I am thinking of buying the Dragon or another OSD in a few weeks but I need to know, will the OSD's work with any setup or do I need to order specific video equipment? I am planning on ordering a 900mhz system from one of the big 4 companies that we hear of so much on here, just don't know which one yet. I plan on ordering the video stuff sometime tomorrow. Thanks for the help.
GhostRider32 is offline Find More Posts by GhostRider32
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:51 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,963 Posts
Dragon osd is still in devellopement stage as I know and still not available.
Aeroosd first batch is release this week, check all the feature. The osd is very easy to use and have amazing possibilties like downloading up to 8 preselected waypoint using google earth, and it have also return home arrow, current, voltage sensor etc.

Check the price, very attractive
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Oct 25, 2007, 11:01 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Not to start a pissing contest, but DragonOSD is shipping I believe. They may have sold out of the initial batch, but more are on the way. And does the AeroOSD have return to home autopilot? Having a return home "arrow" is one thing. But having the ability to guide the plane home on loss of signal is completely different (and much better I might add). DragonOSD has this capability.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Oct 25, 2007, 11:32 PM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
Yeah... Dragon ( what a cool name! ) I believe has been shipped out and distributed to those happy homes. Only a few Almost Ready To Fly is available (check RC-CAM) Boy she does pack a punch and what will those brilliant boys think of next for Miss Dragon? Perhaps a fancy ring tone upon start up?
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Oct 25, 2007, 11:34 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,170 Posts
Good things to know guys but are they compatable with the 900 MHZ systems currently available? I want to make sure that what I buy will be OSD compatable regardless of which OSD I choose, I mean, will the OSD hook to the equipment I buy? Thanks.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 11:35 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,652 Posts
I bought a Dragon OSD, they were for sale on the intelligent flight website. They had a limit of 1 per customer, so I had to be 2 different people ( Not really hahah, I can wiat for the other 3 I need ).

IF you cannot get the dragon, I would immagine it wont be long before batch number 2 is available. The dragon has the rudder home capability, a very important feature. The price is good, and the Dragon is by far the best OSD you can get. I would highly suggest waiting for the Dragon, you will be very glad you did.

JettPilot
JettPilot is online now Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 26, 2007, 12:13 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider32
Good things to know guys but are they compatable with the 900 MHZ systems currently available? I want to make sure that what I buy will be OSD compatable regardless of which OSD I choose, I mean, will the OSD hook to the equipment I buy? Thanks.
It's an On Screen Display unit. Video IN and Video OUT. That has nothing to do with 900MHz, 2.4GHz, etc. As long as your video camera has a composite Video OUT, and your video transmitter has a composite Video IN, then you're good to go.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 04:31 AM
Danmark, Hovedstaden, Ballerup
Joined May 2007
3,213 Posts
be aware of all those OSD's uses GPS units as their main input.
some video transmitters are known to jam GPS units !
so installation distance is the best way !
900 and 1300Mhz users must be extra carefull !
it is known to be less problematic at 2.4GHz.
thomasscherrer is offline Find More Posts by thomasscherrer
Old Oct 26, 2007, 07:30 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,170 Posts
Thanks all.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 08:28 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasscherrer
be aware of all those OSD's uses GPS units as their main input.
some video transmitters are known to jam GPS units !
so installation distance is the best way !
900 and 1300Mhz users must be extra carefull !
it is known to be less problematic at 2.4GHz.
Didn't know that. Thanks for the info. What frequency do GPS satellites operate on?
Old Oct 26, 2007, 08:35 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
GPS runs on 1575MHz. Sometimes it is not the direct signal that affects the GPS's front end but:-

1. The sheer power swamping out the sensitive front end.
2. Spurs or harmonics from some lower fundamental frequency.
3. Interference unrelated to the fundamental frequency.

So Thomas is correct in that the best way to deal with this is to keep the GPS antenna away from other transmitting elements (or in some cases, interference emitters such as the KX-131).

You could also go the longer route of adding a bandpass filter to the GPS module, which will be a bit more involved as well as introduce some insertion loss. In some cases, this could possibly be the only recourse. This approach will require proper test equipment though, and isn't exactly trivial.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Oct 26, 2007, 10:02 AM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2004
1,143 Posts
I've noticed with the EB85As, that putting them beside a 2.4GHz Tx, even 5-6 inches away, doesn't cause problems (both mounted on top of the fuselage)
On my Cularis, the GPS module is mounted on the fuselage, and the 2.4GHz Tx is up with the camera, on a 12" pylon. In this configuration it is barely usable.

So its not only the distance that matters, its the positioning of the GPS antenna relative to the 2.4GHz source.
AnthonyRC is offline Find More Posts by AnthonyRC
Old Oct 27, 2007, 06:54 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2007
1,207 Posts
Well, it looks as though we now have ready to fly units back ordered, and 4 ARF units available.

If you'd like a dragon sooner rather than later, you can order the ARF and connect the BOB-4SG (which you supply) by yourself, it's not hard.
http://www.intelligentflight.com/sto...products_id=34 - Select "Almost Ready" on the right hand side.

The price will be increased on the next batch, so if you'd like to get a DragonOSD at this price, back order one now New units should get here hopefully in one month.

- Mark
Mark Harris is offline Find More Posts by Mark Harris
Old Oct 27, 2007, 07:40 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,170 Posts
How much increase are you looking at?
Old Oct 27, 2007, 12:51 PM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,449 Posts
"Having a return home "arrow" is one thing. But having the ability to guide the plane home on loss of signal is completely different (and much better I might add). DragonOSD has this capability."

You're freakin' kidding me right?... I have one of these in the mail and I'm wondering how I missed this feature! That more than justifies the price AND price increase (whatever it is)... An OSD and PicoPilot(like) RTH AND GPS receiver in one unit! Holy CRAP!

My hat is off to Daniel and Mark if the above is true. Amazing guys!

Jeff
workshop is offline Find More Posts by workshop