Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 07, 2008, 08:34 AM
Ustabee supported Unabomber
Ustabee supported Unabomber
Joined Sep 2006
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin
Central ohio....we have a little thing called snow in the winter, never mind the high winds and tornado sirens over the last few months.
Snow? I don't know what that is and I live in Minnesota .
countrygentleman is offline Find More Posts by countrygentleman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2008, 03:30 PM
ohio
Joined Aug 1999
3,586 Posts
small update.....

The total lenght of the first flight was 7:09. That includes taxiing out and back to the pits (60 sec total). I just recharged the batteries and only needed to put back 1765 ma.
kevin is offline Find More Posts by kevin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Video of my HK Cobra
Old Jun 07, 2008, 10:14 PM
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined May 2002
2,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin
The total lenght of the first flight was 7:09. That includes taxiing out and back to the pits (60 sec total). I just recharged the batteries and only needed to put back 1765 ma.
You can easily do ten minutes .
mavdriver is online now Find More Posts by mavdriver
Old Jun 09, 2008, 07:47 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Great in-depth review. But, man, do something with those profile pilots.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Jun 10, 2008, 08:01 AM
Joined Apr 2006
33 Posts
it is very good

www.aeroairplane.com
aeroairplane is offline Find More Posts by aeroairplane
Old Jun 10, 2008, 05:37 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,796 Posts
Great review. If I finish my garage I can do my KMP B-25

FB
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jun 15, 2008, 10:38 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined May 2007
427 Posts
OK, I'm a stickler for details and the dummy engines didn't look quite right. I counted the cylinders at 14. Well, sure enough the B-25 had R 2600 Wright Cyclones that had 14 cylinders BUT they were in two rows!

BTW, it's unusual for a radial engine to have an even number of cylinders in a single row and I think it's because they like to fire every other cylinder in sequence and when you do that with a 4-cycle engine, every cylinder gets a chance to fire and exhaust. Ex. firing order: 1-3-5-7-2-4-6- (repeat). Even numbered radials are not unheard of (German Zoche) but they are most likely 2-cycle engines.
mcm1303 is offline Find More Posts by mcm1303
Old Jun 17, 2008, 03:39 AM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,644 Posts
Check out these new scale add ons from wingspan models!

http://www.wingspanmodels.com/Produc...25%20Conv.html
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Jul 07, 2008, 03:56 AM
Joined Apr 2008
13 Posts
Curious, & if you stated it already, I missed it. Why did you opt for the electric conversions instead of the recommended gas engines. I'm new to the gas end of the hobby (100% electric guy) & I AM DEFINATELY buying this plane, but wanted to discuss the pros/cons of gas vs. electric on this model. Can you comment?
Also, do the bomb bay door mods actually allow you to drop the bombs?
Caveman5150 is offline Find More Posts by Caveman5150
Old Jul 07, 2008, 10:25 AM
ohio
Joined Aug 1999
3,586 Posts
I am currently an electric only pilot. So when the B-25 came up for review I asked if I could do the electric conversion.

A few of the pros to the electric conversion....a twin aircraft with the reliability that electric offers, easily synced motors, no fuel mess all over the aircraft.

A few pros of the glow version....gas and go(no waiting for batteries to charge), lighter ready to fly weight, less initial overall cost... Electric with a few sets of batteries and a good charger gets a bit more expensive.

These are just a few pros of each. There are many glow vs. electric threads on rcgroups that go into further detail.
kevin is offline Find More Posts by kevin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Video of my HK Cobra
Old Jul 07, 2008, 10:32 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shschon
I recall Hangar 9 came out with a B-25 about the same time as TF. Also there is one on raidentech/nitroplane. KMP has B-25 for quite some time.

Anyone can comment on the comparison between them?
I noticed no one ever answered this.

First of all: Kevin....you did a fine job on a review of a complex model..thanks!

I am sort of shopping for a B-25 for a winter project. I am leaning towards the TF model, in spite of the rather insane 14 cylinder single row fake radial engine.... That can be fixed,,,,

The TF B-25 is about 1/9 scale. Span is 88.5"
The H9 B-25 is about 10% smaller and is about 1/10 scale. Span is 80.7 inches

There is very little to no interior detail in the H9 model and that plus the fact that the TF version is notably larger, has all the scale interior parts and the full set of scale like gear doors (H9 does not have the scale gear doors and the gear retracts into holes in the nacelles.) accounts for the difference in price. (H9 B-25 is 399.95 and the street price in the TF B-25 is 649.99)

They use the same Robart retracts.

The Nitroplanes model is simply not in the same league as these two, as it is much more a sport model shaped similarly to a B-25. It is too crude for my tastes. It is indeed bargain priced at 249.99. Wingspan is 71 inches, making it about 1/11 scale

The KMP is the largest and most expensive model and has a wingspan of 95.5", making it a little bit smaller than 1/8 scale. This new large on is new this past Spring. Price is 699.95. Interior detail is sparse to non-exisitent. KMP kits are pretty, but they are certainly not as prefab as the TF or the H9 versions. The KMP model does get some brownie points for a full fiberglass fuse and a final finish that is all military flat paint instead of film. They loose some points for spotty quality control, according to the posts I have read about the model (missing and damaged parts, etc). Instructions are definitely not in the same league as TF and H9 and you need some skills to build it.

KMP had as smaller B-25 at 85" span, but I think the new larger one replaced it and the small one is no longer available.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Jul 07, 2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2008, 09:22 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,229 Posts
Nobody remembers, but, I did a build on the first KMP B-25, as a matter of fact, I did two of these planes. An expert pilot at the field managed to crash my first plane by retracting the flaps on final approach. This was after I flew it, so nobody call me names. LOL ... I have flown the second plane many times, even flew it at the AZ Electric Festival. However, I stored it in my garage for the past 9 months and the skin warped so bad that I finally stripped it for parts.

I was going to buy the new large size KMP B-25, but, the memories of the first one still linger. The Fiberglass was soft, the heat made it warp and it acted like plastic. I would reserve judgement on the new larger and improved size until someone does one.

I'm planning on starting the ASM large size A-26 soon, look for the review and build, the conversion to electric should be interesting as I plan to use the cheapest motors and ESCs that China has to offer. LOL

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Jul 08, 2008, 08:41 PM
Emerald Isle , NC
Joined May 2006
1,329 Posts
Al............... I REMEMBER .........I REMEMBER

Your good Buddy
Coastwatcher is offline Find More Posts by Coastwatcher
Old Jul 11, 2008, 02:29 AM
Stafford,UK.
Joined Oct 2002
59 Posts
scale of B25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
I noticed no one ever answered this.

First of all: Kevin....you did a fine job on a review of a complex model..thanks!

I am sort of shopping for a B-25 for a winter project. I am leaning towards the TF model, in spite of the rather insane 14 cylinder single row fake radial engine.... That can be fixed,,,,

The TF B-25 is about 1/9 scale. Span is 88.5"
The H9 B-25 is about 10% smaller and is about 1/10 scale. Span is 80.7 inches

There is very little to no interior detail in the H9 model and that plus the fact that the TF version is notably larger, has all the scale interior parts and the full set of scale like gear doors (H9 does not have the scale gear doors and the gear retracts into holes in the nacelles.) accounts for the difference in price. (H9 B-25 is 399.95 and the street price in the TF B-25 is 649.99)

They use the same Robart retracts.

The Nitroplanes model is simply not in the same league as these two, as it is much more a sport model shaped similarly to a B-25. It is too crude for my tastes. It is indeed bargain priced at 249.99. Wingspan is 71 inches, making it about 1/11 scale

The KMP is the largest and most expensive model and has a wingspan of 95.5", making it a little bit smaller than 1/8 scale. This new large on is new this past Spring. Price is 699.95. Interior detail is sparse to non-exisitent. KMP kits are pretty, but they are certainly not as prefab as the TF or the H9 versions. The KMP model does get some brownie points for a full fiberglass fuse and a final finish that is all military flat paint instead of film. They loose some points for spotty quality control, according to the posts I have read about the model (missing and damaged parts, etc). Instructions are definitely not in the same league as TF and H9 and you need some skills to build it.

KMP had as smaller B-25 at 85" span, but I think the new larger one replaced it and the small one is no longer available.

Good point about the scale. So how about crew ? Try my ebay shop :-http://search.stores.ebay.co.uk/Petes-Pilots .There are a few item that may fit . I really need internal dimensions of the cockpit if am to make the crew a good fit for you guys
pete,pilot is offline Find More Posts by pete,pilot
Old Jul 11, 2008, 06:19 AM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
Very well done as usual Kevin. Looks like quite a big job building the plane, and doing the review, and you did an excellant job on both!

I can't wait to see the plane in person.
KatManDEW is offline Find More Posts by KatManDEW