SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 28, 2001, 05:05 PM
Houston, TX.
Joined Jan 2001
96 Posts
Does anyone know anything about Jack Stafford kits?

My latest ingenious plot is to convert the Jack Stafford 90" b-24 Liberator to electric. This is one nice looking plane as seen here; http:www.cbpu.com/jackstafford/B-24.htm

Unlike the Royal B-17, there's no wood blocks or engine cowls to carve out. And it's BIG! I'm getting no response to this same question about this Stafford B-24 Liberator elsewhere, so can anyone tell me perhaps about the Jack Stafford line of models in general? Ie: Is it quality made scale stuff that's worth the bucks, and time spent?
Randall Miller is offline Find More Posts by Randall Miller
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2001, 10:52 PM
Folsom,Ca,USA
Joined Apr 2001
992 Posts
Hi,
I had a friend in San Jose, Ca who built one of the B24's He is a very competent modeler and it took him forever to build, he was still working on it when I left the area.
Just a very complicated model I guess.

Beautiful model but a lot of work, throttle linkages and fuel tank capacity were real problems to Ted.

FYI, Dave
DaveW is offline Find More Posts by DaveW
Old May 28, 2001, 11:12 PM
Houston, TX.
Joined Jan 2001
96 Posts
Hmmmm, the only other reply I've received so far is "don't do it! It's an old builders kit with old bell-crank technology from the 60's. My friend started it and gave up".

Do I see a pattern of warning flags coming up here?

Appreciate your help. -Randall
Old May 28, 2001, 11:16 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,523 Posts
The Jack Stafford kits have been around for years, and the people I've talked to loved the kits (Especially the Ercoupe) There was a review of the B-24 a few years back in Scale RC Modeler. The October 1996 issue, in fact, I'm holding it right now. The reviewer liked the kit but made a few changes.

The Reviewer did away with the fowler flaps, and made split flaps, and omitted the bay doors and retractable belly turret.

He used Century Jet Retracts as they make a set specifically for the Lib.

If you want the article, I'll copy it or send the whole magazine to you.
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old May 29, 2001, 07:47 AM
Michigan, USA
Joined Apr 2001
124 Posts
I have a Jack Stafford Rearwin Speedster kit on the shelf for my next "winter project".

The plans and materials are top notch but it is definately a builders kit. There is little to none of the interlocking box technology of modern kits, just lots of formers, stringers and longerons that need to be measured and positioned carefully. If you are looking for something to go together fast this isn't it.

If you are willing to take the time and work carefully you could turn out a very scale airplane that looks and flies great.

Quirky
CaptQuirk is offline Find More Posts by CaptQuirk
Old May 30, 2001, 02:21 PM
Houston, TX.
Joined Jan 2001
96 Posts
Gentlemen, I appreciate your replies. Finally getting some scattered info, over the webs. Took a couple of days. General consensus is that they are good detailed kits, but like the Royal Kits, you really got to want to build em. If one wants a rather different electric(and a BIG one), it's worth considering.

RC_Eflyer I'll EMail you.
Old May 30, 2001, 02:44 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts

www.cbpu.com/jackstafford/B-24.htm
dave_lilley is offline Find More Posts by dave_lilley
Old May 30, 2001, 02:48 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
It may be a builders kit, but I had to post the pic. That is one sweet looking boxcar.
dave_lilley is offline Find More Posts by dave_lilley
Old Feb 28, 2009, 11:15 PM
Eureka,Ca
Joined Jul 2007
623 Posts
man this thread is old!

lol
_HypnoToad_ is online now Find More Posts by _HypnoToad_
Old Mar 01, 2009, 08:04 AM
Crossville, TN
Joined Dec 2004
2,907 Posts
Back in the 60's I built the EAA Acrosport and the 72" Piper Commanche, with a stabilator,flaps, and pneumatic retracts. Nice flying plane..VERY scale !
The EAA Acrosport looked good , didn't fly that well. ( Probably my fault, first bipe )
The kits were well thought out and the wood and f.g. work was excellent.
Art Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Art Schmitz
Old Mar 01, 2009, 11:56 AM
Joined Mar 2008
19 Posts
When I lived in southern California back in the 60s, 70s 80s I knew Jack Stafford well. I judged him in scale at the 78 Nationals at March Air Force base. and was involved in F1 racing. What a great craftman he was and a wonderful man. he would help anyone on the spot. I have built many of his models, Ercoup, B-24, piper Commanche, single and twin models, Midget mustang a F1 racing model. there is a guy in South Carolina who still makes his models and some of Joe Bridi's scale models on is the Areo Commander twin. I will try and find his address. his name is Paul and his company is kittyhawk models. I will see if he has a web page and get back to you guys. One of my friends converted a single pipercommanch to electric a few years ago. It flew great. I have a picture of his model.
eddiebeardsley is offline Find More Posts by eddiebeardsley
Old Mar 12, 2009, 09:56 AM
Joined Mar 2008
19 Posts
Informaio on The Jack Stafford kits. here is a address of where to find out about the kit line.

Kitty Hawk models
2657 E Country RD
250 N
Paoli, Indiana

His name is Paul Clements
eddiebeardsley is offline Find More Posts by eddiebeardsley
Old Mar 12, 2009, 11:49 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,060 Posts
Take a look at WowPlanes foam bomber models. Foam and molded plastic construction, fair amount of spackling, sealing and finishing needed for very scale-like models. Intro kit price on 60" B-25 is $99. There is a build thread on Scale Electric Planes forum, go to the end to see some nicely finished examples. These appear state of the art for electric power , fly very well and are light for their size. Kieth Sparks collaborated in producing these kits. Judge for yourself.

http://www.wowplanes.com/
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jul 20, 2010, 01:34 AM
vancouver bc
Joined Feb 2002
103 Posts
Cool ads in rcm, man ..his mustang had a groovy Miss America paint scheme.
I bet it flys well, I will soon have a kit won on e. Lets just see what's in a Jack Stafford Kit
dave rave is offline Find More Posts by dave rave