HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2007, 07:38 PM
Smithfield, Rhode Island
Joined Aug 2006
39 Posts
Question
Helping Hands

My dad has trouble soldering because his hands shake. He already has one of the "helping hands" that everyone has. The problem is that it is on the smaller side and is easily knocked over.

Does anyone know of a larger, "beefier" version of the helping hands? Maybe something that can be screwed down/mounted on the workbench to keep it from moving?
emsman1 is offline Find More Posts by emsman1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2007, 09:31 PM
AMA # L576
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Sep 2006
2,225 Posts
Drill a couple of holes in the base of the one he has then screw it down. Nothing wrong with modifying something you already have to make it work for you.
vhoward1122 is offline Find More Posts by vhoward1122
Old Oct 25, 2007, 09:55 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emsman1
My dad has trouble soldering because his hands shake. He already has one of the "helping hands" that everyone has. The problem is that it is on the smaller side and is easily knocked over.

Does anyone know of a larger, "beefier" version of the helping hands? Maybe something that can be screwed down/mounted on the workbench to keep it from moving?
Hi !

How about one of these little vise that clamps on the edge of the work table. If the work table does not have a protuding edge a piece can be screwed on to hold the clamp.

Also think about one of these magnifiers with a lens about 8 inches diameter having a fluorescent curved around the periphery that also can be clamped on the edge of the work table.

Regards de

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 25, 2007, 01:10 PM
Smithfield, Rhode Island
Joined Aug 2006
39 Posts
Thank you for your suggestions. I am not looking to try and make the current one work for him, I'm looking for something different/bigger/better.
emsman1 is offline Find More Posts by emsman1
Old Oct 25, 2007, 03:07 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,011 Posts
Here's three possibilities:

Go to McMaster-Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/ and look up the Multiposition Clamping System.

The second, I can't find a picture, their catalog isn't online, but it is a tool I've used and it is very nice. A lot like the solder tool except bigger and the arms have machinists clamps instead of alligator clips. Order a catalog from:
http://www.ferreestools.com/

Ferree's makes repair tools for the band instrument world. They have lots of other neat items for us modellers.

The third is to look at fly tying vises. They have a variety of grabbers, but I think all are single point - and they look pretty pricey.

- Norm
Norm Furutani is online now Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2007, 08:11 PM
Seattle, Washington, United States, University of Washington
Joined Feb 2003
423 Posts
You might also consider the "modular work holder" by Micro Mark although a little overpriced at $46.60. Item Number: 83080.

http://www.
ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?merchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=P roduct&ID=83080

Excerpt:
Our modular work holder is just the tool you need when one set of hands is not enough. It holds work steady and in the perfect position for assembly, soldering, detailing, painting and more. Each articulated arm...two with alligator clips and one with long-nose self-closing tweezer...locks with thumbscrew into any location you need on the aluminum rails to perfectly configure the jig for your workpiece. Heavy steel corner bases with padded feet prevent tipping and sliding. Configuration shown measures approx. 7 inches x 12 inches
jbeanelliott is online now Find More Posts by jbeanelliott