SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 08, 2002, 10:51 AM
Thats NOT indestructible
London UK
Joined Apr 2002
1,448 Posts
What is wrong with my charger

Hey

I am trying to charge my new 8 cell 700mah nimh with my CG320 and it is not working!!!

I plug it all in, select the charge rate, and when i press the start button, the charge light comes on, and then goes out

The pack is compleatly empty, and i cannnot work out what is wrong

HELP ME

Josh
j8m8l is offline Find More Posts by j8m8l
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2002, 12:23 PM
Fast sticks quick crash.
N Cal
Joined Nov 2002
231 Posts
I could be wrong, but I did not think the CG320 was Nimh capable. Even with that I would think it would still try to attempt a charge with nicad sensing instead of Nimh sensing, so it may be that the charger is bad, or is sensing that you wired the pack with one cell backward?? Beyond making sure the pack is wired correctly not too sure what else you could do besides sending it in for service. Oh yeah, try it on a pack that you know it has worked on previously.
K.B. is offline Find More Posts by K.B.
Old Dec 08, 2002, 12:52 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,422 Posts
j8m8l,

When you say 'completely empty' do you mean uncharged? or do you mean it registers zero volts (on a volt meter)?

I don't have the CG320, but have the CG335, and if a pack is completely flat (i.e. zero volts) or duff then it will refuse to charge it.

The CG335 charges NiCD and NiHMD fine, and I'd expect the CG320 to charge NiMHD as well (the only thing that could go wrong is to not detect the smaller delta-peak of the NiMHD, and so overcharge the pack!)

As K.B. says, try a different pack and, if you have a meter, check the suspect pack voltage - it should be at least 0.8v / cell = 7 x 0.8 = 5.6v on a meter.

Cheers,
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Dec 08, 2002, 03:03 PM
Thats NOT indestructible
London UK
Joined Apr 2002
1,448 Posts
Thanks guys

I too thought that it was somthing to do with the pack being to discharger for it to work out how many cells there were

I had a play, and it would tricle it in nicad, so i did that for 20 mins (i dont think that it would have caused a problem, they both charge in a similar way (tricle) dont they?)

Then i tried it again and it worked

Thanks again

Josh
j8m8l is offline Find More Posts by j8m8l
Old Dec 08, 2002, 03:34 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,422 Posts
j8m8l,

Yup, that's the standard way to get over a pack that isn't initially recognised (normally due to too low an initial cell voltage). Trickle charge at a low current, then as the pack gets up to the basic minimum cell coltage then you can give it a 'proper' charge!

(Mind you, it's worth giving the pack one or low slow, low charges to condition it - if it has been in this condition!)

Cheers,
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Dec 09, 2002, 12:51 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
Over to chargers, even though the ? is answered
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk