HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2007, 01:55 PM
Multi discipline RC'er
Netherlands
Joined Aug 2005
170 Posts
Build Log
Bristol M1C Buildlog

Wanted to make something scale for a while now. So I decided to make a WWI monoplane. First thing that comes to mind is de Fokker Eindecker, but I wanted something different with a little more building challenge. So after some searching I found the Bristol M1. Used during WWI and later modified to participate in air-races.

After collecting some info I started drawing in Illustrator... the results are posted below. I am a slow builder due to work and stuff so this may take a while!
Right now I am puzzling whether to go for a/e or r/e control.
Possible problem is the place of the CG. Hope I can get it balanced properly!
Suggestions are welcome!
MrHmmm is offline Find More Posts by MrHmmm
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:07 AM
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
906 Posts
I have started a scratch build of this same plane. I enlarged a 3view drawing of the plane to just over 1/12 scale. I Tiled the drawing to make plans to use to cut pink foam. The formors in the 3view have a square in the middle with the round shape touching each corner of the square. I plan on making a square box fuselage with just rounded formors on the outside of it for the round shape. I hope to attach long formors between then and then cover with either tissue or silk. Forward part of fuselage that was metal or wood covered on the real plane will be foam sanded to shape. I have a set of Pico Cub wings that I am going to cut to shape and use as wings.
degreen60 is offline Find More Posts by degreen60
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:09 AM
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
906 Posts
Here are a couple pictures of the real plane.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 01:51 PM
Multi discipline RC'er
Netherlands
Joined Aug 2005
170 Posts
Nice to hear of a fellow builder! Those pictures are very nice and can be helpful, thanks for that.
I am going to use 6mm depron for the 'frame' and am going to skin it with 3mm depron. I still have some troublespots left!

Are you going to implement the holes in the wings? They were used to give the pilots a better downward view, but the stiffness of the wing of the modell won't benefit from these holes! My wings are going to be solid 2sheet 6mm depron.

Have you decided what kind of controlls your are going to use? I tend to make it ailron/elevator, not really sure yet though.

Keep me informed!
MrHmmm is offline Find More Posts by MrHmmm
Old Oct 26, 2007, 03:22 PM
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHmmm
Are you going to implement the holes in the wings? They were used to give the pilots a better downward view, but the stiffness of the wing of the modell won't benefit from these holes! My wings are going to be solid 2sheet 6mm depron.
Have you decided what kind of controlls your are going to use? I tend to make it ailron/elevator, not really sure yet though.
Keep me informed!
I will probably just paint the holes in the wing silver. I am planning on A/E/M for controls.
Old Feb 08, 2010, 03:04 PM
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
906 Posts
Here is my finished Bristol M1C. It is all foam. Fuselage is covered with sticker paper printed on a color laser printer. Wings are painted then strips added with marking pen. I found COG by trial and crash method. It is at about 18% cord, I think the shape of the wings makes the COG so far farward. It is very sensenty to the rudder. Only needs 1/4 inch movement to each side. It is an instructors plane from a training squadron.