HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by epwierman, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:25 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,088 Posts
Discussion
Carbon Bannana data

Airfoil: MG06
Wing Area: 298 in?
Wing Loading: 15 oz/ft? +
Overall Length: 35 inches (889 mm)
Weight Empty: 21 oz (320g) empty
Weight All Up: 32 oz + 12 oz ballast
Ctrl Surfaces: Ail/Flap/Rud/Elev (V-tail)
Features All hollow molded one piece carbon skinned wing and tail

From SUSA: The Carbon Banana is our fastest 60" glider. Considerably beefier than the standard glass Banana, the all Carbon version exhibits phenomenal precision and stability in the air. It's ability to cut through choppy air is uncanny, and extremely rewarding. The Carbon Banana uses the MG06 airfoil from Marcel Guwang, also used on the F3F record holding Miraj 30.80 the Pike Brio, and our own Trinity. This plan form and airfoil gives the Banana great handling and is very smooth with excellent ?grip? in the turns. This plane will out accelerate of our other 60" planes. Period.

The Carbon Banana is an absolute pleasure to fly. It feels much "larger" in the air, yet remains very nimble. It almost defies description in it's handling. Adjectives such as "smooth", "fast", "liquid", "oiled", "rush", "fantastic", "breathtaking" and so forth are always heard when a pilot is first given the transmitter. Frequently followed by, "No way, I'm keeping it!", or, "Come on, just a bit longer, pleaassee?" when we try to retrieve our transmitter from the now manically possessive guest pilots hands. :-)

The Banana is fully molded with carbon skins, a full carbon spar and huge full span ailerons. The ailerons are live hinged. Taking full advantage of these oversized ailerons, the plans include directions how to install Flaps! The finish in the Banana is immaculate, using the highest quality paints in the mold, it is mirror smooth and the joint work is exquisite. The Banana is our highest quality 60", and the Carbon Banana is our favorite.

This glider is a bit more involved to build, as there are no cutouts for the servos, allowing the builder to decide which system to fly (Ailerons or Ail/Flap).

We recommend using the HS-125MG servos for the flaps and/or ailerons. A recess mounted HS-85BB for the elevator works well, or use two HS-81?s for full ruddervator control.

The Carbon Banana comes in Yellow with Red bottom surfaces, and in pure White with Blue stripes on the bottom (similar to the Trinity).

My Carbon Bananna: Modified the slope fuse to accomodate 2 nose cones; one for slope, one for brushless power. The Slope fuse and modified nose will take a 3s 2100 lipoly. Larger batts require the use of the E-Fuse, or the batt can be placed on top of the wing with velcro, at the CG. I've done both and each work well, just depends on how hard you want it to accelerate. This has HS125 MG's in the wings and an HS55 for the elevator.

Retail cost:
-$399.00 Carbon Bannana
-$ 75.00 Servos
-$ 30.00 extra nose cone
-$ 145.00 E-Fuse
(-$ 100.00 to $300 Drivetrain depending on which combo, all are fun, but it likes power and speed. This model type has done over 200mph DS-ing.)

Flight Report:
She's a real gem. Very fast and grooved in. Loves snap flaps for hard turns and responds well to spoileron mixing for final approach glidepath control aand shorter landings. Great roll rate at all speeds, very flickable when lightly loaded, even in wind as light a 8 knots, she's fun (videos of light wind slow flying here http://www.soaringusa.com/videos.htm ). But she's a real demon when loaded up with weight in strong wind or with electric assist. Great size machine and having a full carbon skinned wing makes for lots of confidence if a bad landing location is ever encoutered.
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Last edited by epwierman; Oct 24, 2007 at 12:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2007, 07:45 PM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,072 Posts
how strong is the carbon version?

i was looking into this model but fly in some treacherous LZ's. how does the carbon version stand up to bad landings? mainly interested in LE damage.

have you had the glass version? how robust are the bananas? my mini destiny is solid as a rock and want a plane as durable as this one but i might be kidding myself by looking for a plane like this.
cheers,
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2007, 10:49 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,088 Posts
Sorry but I have no idea. This ones just been landed on grass at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Last edited by epwierman; Dec 30, 2009 at 10:59 AM.