HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GWS CHEN, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 05:42 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
If you are buying a GWS EDF75 fan unit without motor, pls remeber to break in after you install motor.

You need to apply RPM not at full speed.

The rotor will rub the fan case. It's normal.

But if you apply full speed right the way, the blades may rub case too much force and cause blades broken!

The new BL motor power increased too much, the max RPM way too much faster than orginal target for Speed400 motor.

Unless we need to make a new rotor with smaller dia.

The rub marks were because of that we breaking every unit from low RPM to high RPM, to protect you not to break the blades.

However, the fan unit in NPS do not have chance to be with breaking process.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:51 AM
hotrod builder
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2007
1,156 Posts
THE ROTOR RUBBING THE FAN CASE IS NORMAL????

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Now I have really heard it all

GWS Chen
I don't care about that one you posted
I built my kit per the manual with GWS equipment and it flies marginally at best
I can tell you after building the kit and flying it there will be alot of dissapointed customers if they try and fly the same kit I did
I don't understand why GWS can make such a great kit and ruin it with the crappy power system
usmc_VTOL_mech is offline Find More Posts by usmc_VTOL_mech
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:41 PM
Registered VOICE
R, W, and B
Joined Sep 2007
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_VTOL_mech
I don't understand why GWS can make such a great kit and ruin it with the crappy power system
Just about as good as a factory that makes foam plates; both can make good useful things out of FOAM. (that's the end of story...)

Actually, foam plate factory may have the upper hand (has wider market appeal than molded foam kit)
A good electronics system can make anything fly:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...63#post8973263
rationalV is offline Find More Posts by rationalV
Last edited by rationalV; Jan 24, 2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 01:02 PM
Dam Dutch Fokker.
USA, UT, Farmington
Joined Jul 2003
314 Posts
I have 3 three flights on my A-4 . It took a bit of work to get the fan and motor working, to the point that I felt safe to fly. It flies very well. 480 to 460 watts 40 to 43 amps MPI heat sink, 3s 2250 loongmax 25c , 75amp Align ESC. 3min. into 3rd flight about ready to land and it shut down. I was about 27 -28 deg.outside, just below freezing .got home and open it up to see what happened the motor was smoked the fan housing melted. heavey rub marks. I have received a J-10 EB kit with the new motor and rotor. I was going to use the new power system in the A-4 till I have the J-10 built. There were no rub marks on the new unit . The lable on the new unit listed 850 grams. I began to test run the new unit to run it in , I mounted it in the A-4 with the cover off . Ran it up to half power to let the rotor burn in so I could balance it after. I could tell right away the the new motor had a lot more push . I just started to increase the power when it locked up and smoked , 30 to 40 seconds into the run at half throttle,never got to full. What luck, two bad units . The weather is so cold and snowy, there has not been much flying time. GWS will get things right with the power unit. I pulled the rotor on the new unit and it has the webbing on the in side ,it did crack one blade on the rotor tip. I will send it in to see if they can replace it . It will depend if replacement items are avalible. The A-4 flies very very nice. has lots of room for batteries. It lands almost as good as the F-15 and is a lot faster stock!If you see the vidio of CNs A-4 wow!! If I can't get a GWS replacement ,I will pull the 70mm out of the F104 800watts
THREEWING is offline Find More Posts by THREEWING
Old Jan 24, 2008, 01:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2007
401 Posts
Quote:
THE ROTOR RUBBING THE FAN CASE IS NORMAL????

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Now I have really heard it all

GWS Chen
I don't care about that one you posted
I built my kit per the manual with GWS equipment and it flies marginally at best
I can tell you after building the kit and flying it there will be alot of dissapointed customers if they try and fly the same kit I did
Red part:
Sorry but I beg to disagree.
GWS historically provides good kits for
starters and average flyers at great price.
If we want to make their planes much better,
performancewise, we need to invest extra time, labor and money.

Why expect perfect things.

blueplane is offline Find More Posts by blueplane
Old Jan 24, 2008, 01:54 PM
hotrod builder
Joined Jun 2007
1,156 Posts
Blueplane
I don't expect perfection
But I would at least expect it faster than my stock slowstick
Old Jan 24, 2008, 02:02 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2007
401 Posts
Quote:
Blueplane
I don't expect perfection
But I would at least expect it faster than my stock slowstick
I think the stock J-10 is about 55-60 mph.
Now where can I get a slow stick that fast?
Just opinions...

Frankly I never used GWS stock power.
All I need is their airframes. And they are kind
enough to provide all my need.

peace out.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 02:40 PM
East Hartford, CT
Joined Sep 2006
1,304 Posts
usmc_VTOL_mech. I 100% agree. I have NEVER been happy with stock GWS power setups. They provide marginal power in my mind and since I tend to overbuild my planes, I end up with a heavy underpowered piece of junk unless I go elsewhere for power systems.

I've already decided to ditch the GWS 75mm EDF units. Rubbing is NOT normal.

When I end up building my J-10 it will be with a 1500+ gram thrust system on a 4s setup.

GWS should be ashamed at trying to pass off EDF rubbing as a normal thing... We are not idiots Mr. Lin and most of us have enough flying/building experience to know what is normal. Fix the damn problem(you've done this with the new rotor, good job), cut your losses on the old hardware(sell it at 50% or whatever), and stop making lame excuses(Rubbing is NEVER normal).
wedge98 is offline Find More Posts by wedge98
Old Jan 24, 2008, 02:51 PM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
can anyone compare the plane to say the Hobby Lobby (RICCS) Mirage or F-18?

If it flies as good as they do then it is already to fast for my flying field with exception to large circuits and Higher Loops....I even took the Mirage to F.I.T.S. last weekend and the West Pasco Models Pilots Associations flying field is not much bigger then the School yard we fly in...the only diffference was the longer landing strip then we have at the school.

Also....many people screamed bloody murder thet teh A-10 was grossly underpowered I found it to be quite acceptable for the design intent which is

"ParkFlyer" in other words small close in spaces.....predominately thats about all I have to fly in any more so these designs suit me quite perfectly.

It why I have so Many GWS planes and why even when folks say no its under powered...I still get them...Because all I have is a Park sized flying field.

I saw the Hobby Lobby A4 fly this pass weekend...my GWS 262 could smoke it in a race....and based on #s Ive seen I'll wager my A-4 when completed as stock will smoke it too....

so it's all relevant....now if my motor smokes on flight 3 I won't be so happy but....GWS typically makes good on this stuff when it comes to this kinda thing...so let's not go attacking the Company or Anybody representing the Company about what is said, or how it is "perceived" as said....lets note the issues and help resovle the problems "Objectively" folks.

It all comes down to opionion sometimes....in the Tiger Moth thread most of the Pilots aver the need for flying wires cause they ripped their wings on the first flight...yet Iv'e been flying the same "stock" moth for four years without the flying wires and I haven't yet ripped the wings....and yes I loop it madly and fly it inverted....but a deft touch on the sticks will prevent a wing ripping...so IMHO no wires are required.

I feel the same is probably going on here as the required speed necessary to fly the A-4...I read opinions...not evidence...I'm not saying anybody is wrong in there opinion, desire, or right to state it; I'm just saying that it is...."Opinion" until valid evidence is posted to vindicate the statement.

so from the GWS side.....

does the plane ROG = yes
does the plane Roll= yes
does the plane loop = yes
does the plane maintain altitude and airspeed = yes

then if flies well and the power system is good.

Point made??

Chuck
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Old Jan 24, 2008, 03:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2007
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWarriorBelgy

so from the GWS side.....

does the plane ROG = yes and good
does the plane Roll= yes and fast
does the plane loop = yes and good
does the plane maintain altitude and airspeed = yes and good

then if flies very stable and very well @ 50-60mph and the power system is good.

Point made??

Chuck
see the additional red part above.
SO That is a very very good jet for $100.
I just do not expect this $100 jet (airframe + motor + fan) flies as good as
the highend Jepe F-16

But GWS better fix the issue of the 75mm fan.
I believe they do.

peace out.

Old Jan 24, 2008, 03:13 PM
hotrod builder
Joined Jun 2007
1,156 Posts
Chuck I see your point
It does fly yes
That's about all it does
Like you I have many GWS planes
Well over 25 of them all in flying condition
I was very disappointed when my bone stock corsair with a BRUSHED motor is alot faster than my a-4
From this point on I am done with GWS power systems
NPS from now on
Blueplane
55 to 60 MPH for the j-10?
I just bought one and there is no way this fan is gonna produce enough to make it go that fast
And if you would have read my text i didn't say J-10
I said my stock A-4
Blueplane another point
Starters and avarage flyers?
Hmmm interesting that on my box it plainly states "for advanced pilots"
Not starters and average flyers tyvm
Old Jan 24, 2008, 03:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2007
401 Posts
Quote:
Chuck I see your point
It does fly yes
That's about all it does
Like you I have many GWS planes
Well over 25 of them all in flying condition
I was very disappointed when my bone stock corsair with a BRUSHED motor is alot faster than my a-4
From this point on I am done with GWS power systems
NPS from now on
Blueplane
55 to 60 MPH for the j-10?
I just bought one and there is no way this fan is gonna produce enough to make it go that fast
And if you would have read my text i didn't say J-10
I said my stock A-4
Blueplane another point
Starters and avarage flyers?
Not starters and average flyers tyvm
red part: Agreed.
I never used GWS stock power since the birth
of GWS very first batch Zero. Talk about the stone-age

Old Jan 24, 2008, 05:52 PM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Single seat canopy attempt #2

Couldn't stand my first one and had to do something.....

So is this better?

camship
camship is offline Find More Posts by camship
Old Jan 24, 2008, 06:02 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2007
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camship
Couldn't stand my first one and had to do something.....

So is this better?

camship
I would love to have one for me if I could.

Old Jan 24, 2008, 06:03 PM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Quote:
Well you have to be an advanced pilot to maintain flight in a stall,
other wise you become a disgruntled , discouraged , and disheartened beginner very quickly

As for ye olde "Brushed" eps 300's they served their purposes...and yes the planes were at full throttle most of the time.

I had many a mishap while tunring and stalling with them...but the planes certainly flew well enough for a park setting with them. Of course I do sport BP21's in all my GWS Warbirds from that period...200 watts to the motor at least makes those Birds jump....and I understand that is what folks want in the A-4....I also know that typically GWS is going to target a slower plane for smaller park conditions....it been their trademark all along, so why do folks exxpect more?
I'm sure advertising hype has something to do with it, but certainly the jets in the prototype videos were not blazing and screeaming across the sky
so....in essence we viewed the plane in testing, saw it at its limit, and scream because we feel, for us, the limit should be more.

Its like going to a Chevy dealership and and then screaming because the Impala we bought is not a Cadillac.

so...in summation...get over it folks...you should have known what you were getting before you ordered...and if you didn't you should have asked more of the "right" questions...and if they didn't get answered then don't buy.

As for motors "frying"...well that is a warranty issue and should be handled as such; through the warranty procedures of the Manufacturer.
I do however empathize and sympethize with everyone's frustrations....motors shouldn't burn up in a flight or two if they are not abused, and rotors shouldn't fly off the hub for anything less than a small bird strike but such is the path of R&D...and product recall.
The test pilots probably only abuse the plane to tolerance levels and the flying site I saw in the video was a shoebox IMHO; so how hard can or will they push them.
Until full blown production and sales occurs how do you really know if the plane will pass the true test, or the motor system for that matter....once in production Monday mornings or Friday afternoons can make a big difference in quality...if'n yer gettin my meanin folks

GWS is just folks too....problems will occur....How does GWS handle them; is more important...but trying to flame someone and insinuate lies....no...that is not how to get what you want from someone.

oops...fell off my soapbox

Chuck
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy