HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GWS CHEN, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 10:48 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
My A-4 has been sitting on the floor here - staring at me while everyone else was going out to play. Last spring, I got a new battery pack for a GWS A-10 project - a 2650 3s 40 c. Yesterday I dusted her off, fixed an annoying vibration from the fan hatch, and rebalanced her. Out to the field on this fine Labor day we went. WOW - now I remember why she was so much fun! I had shelved her because the batteries in my price range would be crapped out in a half dozen flights - kind of expensive. This new pack came down just warm, and after 3.5 min of mostly WOT flying - I put only 1056mA back in. Takeoffs are cool; the "Scooter" has one hell of a roll rate; and landings are really fine. That big delta wing makes a fine air break on final flare for a 2 - 1 landing. Put two flights back on her and I think she is now a regular part of the rotation. BTW - the power system is bone stock - not upgraded in any way. The only upgrade was swapping the straight main LG for some coiled ones from a GWS P-38.

Jim
jamesdr is online now Find More Posts by jamesdr
Last edited by jamesdr; Sep 06, 2010 at 07:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:14 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
A-4 video

Found this one on YouTube - really cool perspective.
GWS A-4 A4 TA-4J Skyhawk camera in front of nose (4 min 59 sec)

Jim
Old Sep 26, 2010, 07:27 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
Really enjoying this one again - like a long lost friend.

Jim
Old Sep 26, 2010, 08:41 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
Jim, She looks good as ever. Mine will be returning to the air again soon as well. Cleaning her up a bit and getting a new power setup. Can't wait to get her up again. She has faired pretty well for being almost 3 years old lol.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Nov 12, 2010, 06:15 PM
Joined Oct 2010
7 Posts
GWS Chen, I just want to let you know that I got a GWS A4 with EDF 75 motor. from Tower Hobbies 3 months ago. I didn't built it until this week. When I open the box, more than half of the plane is missing......it only have half of the fuse, some plastic trees, a left wing, and some other small parts. I contacted Tower Hobbies and was refer me to contact GWS USA. I explain what happen to the rep. and after a few days, he email me back and said "we can not authorize a RMA because this product is over 90 days". he noted that if that many parts are missing, the QC from GWS will catch it. so the most likely is some one from Tower Hobbies open the box and take the parts. The question I have with GWS is why you guys so sure that the QC will not miss all of that? I look at the box carefully and I didn't see the box was resealed, the tape looks original. It seemslike that it is always the customer's fault if you didn't open the box right away and inspect. Now I stuck with this missing kit. I heard many good stuff from GWS, but when I actually contact them, they back down without help. I sure won't buy any more GWS product and I just want to let eveyone know that this kind of experience I have with GWS.

red hawk
red hawk is offline Find More Posts by red hawk
Old Nov 12, 2010, 09:17 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
1,497 Posts
Hey Red Hawk, I'm sorry about your situation but don't get upset with GWS. You should have inspected the kit when you bought it.
Do you really think the story would be different if the kit was from any other brand? call it eflite, parkzone, rclander or HET....I don't think anybody would send you a new kit after 90 days...
E
earaoz is offline Find More Posts by earaoz
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:39 AM
Joined Oct 2010
7 Posts
hey earzoz, I guess you are correct, I should have inspect the box when I first get it. Lesson well learned. I was just so stupid that I think if this is brand new, everything should be ok. I never have problem with GWS product before....I own the A10, BN2, B2, F15, J10, Zero and some other planes. They all put together well (without missing part or problem building it) that's right I didn't open the box to inspect it. I did talk to Tower and they let me return it, but I pay the shipping. (how nice they are) I just wonder if anyone have the same problem (missing parts) from GWS product and have the problem resolve with GWS. (before the 90 days)
Old Nov 13, 2010, 02:37 AM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
1,497 Posts
Hey, good to hear Tower stepped up and you'll get your money back.
Here is a link to some GWS kits I built:

GWS A10 (3 min 4 sec)

GWS C130 (4 min 8 sec)

GWS Corsair with Retracts (2 min 1 sec)

The A4 is my winter project
E
earaoz is offline Find More Posts by earaoz
Old Nov 13, 2010, 02:29 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
Red Hawk, hope you dont give up on the scooter because of this. Its a great plane as many have found out. There are still a few retailers that have them in stock.

Jason
Old Nov 13, 2010, 09:46 PM
Joined Oct 2010
7 Posts
Thanks for sharing the video, your c130 looks so cool. with NAV. lights. I may put something like that in my F15. Since I can get my money back, I was thinking to get the c47. do you guys own one of that? If you do, please let me know what brushless set up you use in that plane.

thanks in advance
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:43 PM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,663 Posts
Hi Red Hawk,

Sorry to know that the A-4 kit you received was not with enough parts. Would you let me know if there's any numbers marked on the cover of this kit box. I'll remind the QC dept. to look into this matter and to see if this might have been done by the production line. Well, this kit might have been opened by some one after GWS shipped it out, and prior to your receipt. I could not get involved with the RMA policy applied by GWS USA. But it's much better to inspect the kit you bought sooner after you received it.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:38 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
Red Hawk, I had a DC3/C47 a long time ago and I flew it bone stock. Flew quite well as such. Only issue I had was the stock prop hubs on it are press on friction fit. So every one or 2 flights I would lose a prop in flight which would make the resulting landing sequence interesting to say the least. But at least with it having rudder you can control it to touch down. My ending to that plane was because of my inexperience at the time with electrics and an ill advised upgrade in props and batteries.

I would say that any of the CD rom style motors in the higher Kv variety would work well with some nice 3 bladers. I have been contemplating getting another one to play with myself lately. Its a great plane but does take some skill to land successfully. You must keep speed up when landing and flying as she will tip stall if not.

Jason
Old Nov 15, 2010, 02:30 PM
Joined Oct 2010
7 Posts
Thanks Jason for the info. I think I going to get the silver one, I will use a couple 28 - 30 outrunner motors. I still thinking putting NAV. lights in it.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 02:39 PM
Joined Oct 2010
7 Posts
Hi Mr. Chen, there are no # marked on the box. However, there is a small sticker that has a bar code on it with the GWS stock # GWAE0029B. other than that, only sticker get on the box is the two big stickers on the top of the box and on the side with the GWS A4 plane on it.

thanks and have a great day
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:21 PM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,663 Posts
Hi Red Hawk,

Would you take some pictures on this kit box, the back side of its cover and the total components before sending this kit back to Tower. Then send these pictures to service@gws.com.tw at GWS HQ please. The #GWAEO029B was the item number, and there should series numbers have been marked on the cover back. Thank you,
I'll try to discuss your case further with our R&D to find out the possible reason why.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN