HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GWS CHEN, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 04, 2010, 11:14 AM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,494 Posts
I flew my GWS A4 this morning; it was the maiden flight. It flew great. I hand-launched it (cut some grooves in the bottom for a good grip).

It climbed easily, flew slow and fast, easy rolls, and lands so easy. Very nice!

It was very loud though. Is this normal? Any suggestions?
Michael in Toronto is offline Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2010, 01:16 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
During Shanghai Hobby show, there are many BL inrunner motors were shown.

Hope we can try with some other longer 28mm motors to see how much thrust can be increased? Which size will be the best?

Then GWS BL28XX should be add one another longer version too make GWS EDF75 get more thrust.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Apr 04, 2010, 01:28 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,199 Posts
Mr. Lin, Has anything been done to beef up the GWS-75 fan unit itself? I have one at home I have been trying to setup for a freinds A-4 and no matter how much sanding or "Break-in" I do the fan still rubs the housing even when not installed. The A-4 is this pilots first venture into EDF and the stock power set will do well for him. Its just the never ending battle to try and get these to last longer than 3-7 flights. Also as far as the motors go Mr. Lin the length of the motors in the A-4 kits were long enough to handle 3S or 4S its the wire and or magnets that could not handle it. The motor needs to have a certain amount of wieght to deal with a give amount of Current or Voltage. The early motors just didn't have the needed weight (wire/magnets) to handle the demands placed on them.

Michael, It is normal for the stock unit to be loud. They are hard to balance if you can get a blancer to even fit it. Plus they dont tend to last long due to the thin blades of the rotor. Hence my question to Mr.Lin.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Jul 01, 2010, 08:06 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in Toronto View Post
My GWS A4 won best jet at the 2010 Kingston (Ontario) Electric Funfly on Sat-Sun June 26 and 27. There were bigger and faster jets, but this jet just seemed to get everything right, and was a real crowd pleaser.

The model is painted in Israeli camouflage, is powered by an E-Flite 15 brushless motor and fan, 60-amp speed control on a 4S 2500mah lipo pack, and features E-Flite electric retracts.

It takes off (from grass!) and flies very-scale-like, and lands very gently.

Thanks GWS.
Nice to see you won!
Old Jul 01, 2010, 08:11 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Dear Jason,

Did you got the new one EDF75 which come with center hub adpter?

If not, pls contact GWS USA to get a free one, that may hold the hub not be off-set when high RPM and stronger out put thrust.
Old Jul 02, 2010, 02:49 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,199 Posts
Mr. Lin, The one I have been fiddling with does have the hub but am still having no luck. It has been a while since I have worked with it though. Life has gotten in the way of R/C lately. Should be able to get back to it in a week or 2. We shall see then how long it takes me to get it going.

Jason
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:31 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined May 2004
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoJay View Post
Mr. Lin, The one I have been fiddling with does have the hub but am still having no luck. It has been a while since I have worked with it though. Life has gotten in the way of R/C lately. Should be able to get back to it in a week or 2. We shall see then how long it takes me to get it going.

Jason
Hey Jason,

Just take the impeller, flip it over, fill it with micro balloons / finishing
epoxy up to the center hub. When cured, balance the impeller and
you now have a very stable impeller. This has made every one of
my edf75 fans reliable and stable. I have not tried this on the 6
blade impellers yet. But it works great on the 4 blade impellers.
The "disk" fix works OK but this solution actually gives you something
to drill and balance a well. This has allowed my orphan EDF75's to
be put back in service at power levels WAY above what the
unmodified impellers will take (remember. these were designed
for 400 class BRUSHED motors way before brushless and lipo were
being used). I used this method on all the old unwebbed impellers
with 28x46 3200KV inrunners on 4S now (after I take the hubs to
1/8th bore! SOLID!

Arnold
ala722 is offline Find More Posts by ala722
Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:52 AM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,199 Posts
Arnold,
I have seen the filling of the hub center with balloons and epoxy. Have been meaning to try it but been too bogged down with work and other projects. Also do you bore out the screw portion of the impeller to allow for a shaft to fit to balance them? If I could balance the rotor I am sure I could even get by with just the disk as I am failry proficient at balancing rotors. I do all my own balancing and all my close jet buddies balancing as well. Any light shed would be appretiated.

Jason
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:12 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined May 2004
432 Posts
Quote:
Arnold,
I have seen the filling of the hub center with balloons and epoxy. Have been meaning to try it but been too bogged down with work and other projects. Also do you bore out the screw portion of the impeller to allow for a shaft to fit to balance them? If I could balance the rotor I am sure I could even get by with just the disk as I am failry proficient at balancing rotors. I do all my own balancing and all my close jet buddies balancing as well. Any light shed would be appretiated.

Jason
Hi Jason, I made an adapter for the Magnetic Balancer. It took me a
while but with as many GWS impellers that I have done, it turned out
to be worth the time. I use the Top Flight balancer which I modified
to do much shorter shafts. Then I super polished the magnets. Next,
I took a piece of straight .078 wire and added carbon tube (about
3/4 " long) with epoxy. Then I used clear tape to add the last shim
thickness. The goal is to have a snug fit inside a un drilled out impeller.
I machined the ends of the shaft with a cordless drill and a dremel with
cut off disk (both turning) to an absolute point on both ends.

Instant GWS balance shaft. It works on the 55, 64 and 75 impellers.

Filled and balanced, the 75mm fan is trouble free and actually a pretty
darn good fan system.
Last edited by ala722; Jul 28, 2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:34 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,199 Posts
Arnold, That is pretty slick and I am going to have to deffinitly have to make one. I have that stuborn 75 I am still working with as well as a flying buddy who I am doing the 75 for has a few out of balance 64's I could square away for him. Thanks for the info and sharing. Also I use the same balancer so this help loads.

Jason
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:01 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined May 2004
432 Posts
Quote:
Arnold, That is pretty slick and I am going to have to deffinitly have to make one. I have that stuborn 75 I am still working with as well as a flying buddy who I am doing the 75 for has a few out of balance 64's I could square away for him. Thanks for the info and sharing. Also I use the same balancer so this help loads.

Jason
Where do you guys fly in Clovis?? I have thought about coming over for a
couple of the Club Fun Fly's and Jet Fly's over in that area...

If GWS was smart, they would produce that adapter shaft.

A
Last edited by ala722; Jul 29, 2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:49 AM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,199 Posts
We fly at a college on the weekends off of willow and international. During the week we have a few stalled building developments that we use the paved roads for runways. When you are in the area look me, DarkAngel, or A4SpeedJunkie up as we all fly together. There are a few others here on RCG that fly with us from time to time as well.

Jason
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:21 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined May 2004
432 Posts
Quote:
We fly at a college on the weekends off of willow and international. During the week we have a few stalled building developments that we use the paved roads for runways. When you are in the area look me, DarkAngel, or A4SpeedJunkie up as we all fly together. There are a few others here on RCG that fly with us from time to time as well.

Jason

Cool. I do not often go to that area, but you never know...

How large of an area is it? Can you fly 5 foot span class planes?

A
Old Jul 29, 2010, 05:43 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,199 Posts
There is a guy that flies a Hangar 9 B-25 out there at the school and a few others have 60 size electric conversions they fly out there as well. Now our back up spot or weekday spot has a runway 3 times as long as the school. So either one can accomidate them. The latter is much more accomidating due to the length of the runway.

Jason
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:40 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined May 2004
432 Posts
Quote:
There is a guy that flies a Hangar 9 B-25 out there at the school and a few others have 60 size electric conversions they fly out there as well. Now our back up spot or weekday spot has a runway 3 times as long as the school. So either one can accomidate them. The latter is much more accomidating due to the length of the runway.

Jason
Sounds very tempting... Hmmmmmm......

A