Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by GWS CHEN, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 10:24 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
*Sigh*.........Good Luck

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2009, 02:14 PM
Foam Flingin' Nitro Pilot
San Diego
Joined Mar 2008
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoges17
I got the kit today. Whats the ave build time and do most guys install the rudder?
The only reason I can see for installing the rudder is that it would help with ground handling on takeoff roll if you're using landing gear, and for crosswind landings.
If you're hand-launching, or running the stock power system, don't bother it just adds weight.
Pancake_1 is offline Find More Posts by Pancake_1
Old Feb 27, 2009, 02:28 PM
Fly Low Fly Fast Fly Often
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoges17
My fan is rubbing against the outer casing. I havent fired it up yet. I sent them an email. This will set back my build. Sucks.
One thing you might want to read is this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826052
There is a wealth of information on building, finishing, modding the GWS A-4 in the above thread. I would read every thing in that thread before finishing my first A4.
jjr2001 is offline Find More Posts by jjr2001
Old Feb 27, 2009, 02:34 PM
Italy, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Fontanafredda
Joined Apr 2005
670 Posts
I put a rudder on mine because I like to knife edge. As it turns out I needed the extra weight in the back to help balance the 2 4S 2200 batteries I use to power the JS1400/WeMo Mini fan I'm using. You should not have that problem if using a stock fan and smaller battery pack. The high speed knife edges are nice though!
R/C Dallas is offline Find More Posts by R/C Dallas
Old Feb 27, 2009, 02:39 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
As far as the rudder is concerned it wont help much on crosswind landings. It tends to roll the plane more than anything. It does however help on takeoff's especially when getting close to rotation speed. During the latter part of your takeoff roll the nose wheel gets really light and doesn't have much authority. So the rudder really helps in this respect. Has saved me from a few curb incidents.

But if you are good enough you could counter the light nose wheel issue by applying down elevator till you are up to speed and can rotate to takeoff. May take a few times to learn what the rotation speed is for your particular plane but its not that hard.

Mine has now made the switch to hand launch and have not looked back.

Jason
Old Feb 27, 2009, 02:40 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
Dallas, When you knife edge are you feeding in opposite aileron to keep the plane from rolling over?

Jason
Old Mar 02, 2009, 01:45 PM
Long Island ,NY
Joined Dec 2008
535 Posts
I just completed my plane. Its got a 2400 11.1v batt,60 amp Elfite esc, and the 2815 motor. To me the plane seems very low on thrust. The plane doesnt even pull out of my hand at full throttle. Im pulling 38.5a and 430w. I tried to break the motor at low throttle for a few min since it was rubbing on the housing. Its better now. I have it all trimmed out and its set to go. I need this snow to melt now. We got around a foot today. So if this wont fly well whats the best setup to get? Thanks
bhoges17 is offline Find More Posts by bhoges17
Old Mar 02, 2009, 01:53 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
B, She will fly on that just not very fast. Many have flown on it while the units lasted. Check out my thread for recommendations on upgrades. The one I run in mine is the most common one with best bang for the buck.

Jason
Old Mar 02, 2009, 03:13 PM
Long Island ,NY
Joined Dec 2008
535 Posts
I can see that the fan is extremely out of balance. I tried to remove it but the screw must be locktited in. Im worried it will blow apart being so out. So what do I get? 2w--2 and the 6904 setup from Het? Not sure I want to bother with this current setup?
Old Mar 02, 2009, 03:39 PM
Long Island ,NY
Joined Dec 2008
535 Posts
Well the fan let go already. I ran it up to see how out it was and it snapped. This sucks.
Old Mar 02, 2009, 03:48 PM
Italy, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Fontanafredda
Joined Apr 2005
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoJay
Dallas, When you knife edge are you feeding in opposite aileron to keep the plane from rolling over?

Jason
Jason - I do a lot of knife edge flying with all of my planes (my favorite maneuver) of which some have roll coupling and some don't. I have mixed out the coupling on my pattern/3D planes but have left the others as they are because I think you learn a lot if you have to coordinate controls during KE flight. I don't know why but with my A4 I really don't get that much roll when using the rudder, therefore I end up just flying it out.

bhoges - I agree with Jason about his motor/fan combo in his thread. I think it gives great performance without taking the system to the ragged edge. And I would not risk flying your A4 if your current fan is out of balance. That is just asking for trouble which is not what you want on a maiden flight! If you can get it to balance then by all means...give it a go. Good luck which ever way you go.

EDIT: Well, it looks like we know which way your going now! Sorry about that but I'm sure you will be happy with the HET combo.
R/C Dallas is offline Find More Posts by R/C Dallas
Last edited by R/C Dallas; Mar 02, 2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2009, 07:21 PM
Long Island ,NY
Joined Dec 2008
535 Posts
I took everyones advice and ordered a 2W-20 and new fan. Hope to be rolling by the weekend. I should have ordered the plane w/o the motor. Live and learn. Not too much damage thank god when the fan let go. I new it was a matter of time. It never sounded right. Sure glad I didn't fly it!
Old Mar 02, 2009, 10:50 PM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
1,981 Posts
Yes, that is the ticket. I run the same set-up and recently posted a vid in the vid forum of mine just cruising around down at our local park. Take a look: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1010281

KiwiKid
KiwiKid is offline Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Jazilla 3.2m flying wing
Old Mar 03, 2009, 03:15 PM
Long Island ,NY
Joined Dec 2008
535 Posts
Great job on the video. The paint scene is awesome. Any clue how fast it flys?
Old Mar 03, 2009, 07:08 PM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
1,981 Posts
Thanks. She's been radared straight and level at 93mph. With a bit of a dive and a following wind it will do over 100 mph. As you are moving away from the stock set up it would be politic to ask any questions you may have in Jason's thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826052. You will also get a better response rate there.

KiwiKid
KiwiKid is offline Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KiwiKid; Mar 03, 2009 at 07:14 PM.