SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by GWS CHEN, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 07, 2009, 05:32 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Supprised to see here also a lot of ref about GWS A4 here: Aircraft - Electric - Jets > Foamy EDFs > GWS A-4 Build Log / General Discussion

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826052
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2009, 07:00 PM
Fly Low Fly Fast Fly Often
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS4CEO
Supprised to see here also a lot of ref about GWS A4 here: Aircraft - Electric - Jets > Foamy EDFs > GWS A-4 Build Log / General Discussion

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826052

Hello Mr. Lin,

Jason's thread is the thread with all things GWS A4. We find all kinds of upgrades, mods, paint schemes and things like HET and Wemotec Fans and some wild setups with 1200 plus watts.. Yikes this plane rocks.

Mine is rather mundane with only about 800 watts using the HET setup but she will go vertical.

Nice Jet.....Now, I have one question.......

Where is the U2...Man, I really like that plane...Stock tail feathers please, I really am not interested in the V tail...

Great Airframe in the GWS A4...
jjr2001 is offline Find More Posts by jjr2001
Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:31 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined May 2004
432 Posts
GWS will probably release their V-2 the day I maiden my scratch built
balsa U-2 model. It has happened before. But, I think when GWS
gets their stuff together and puts the NPS V-2 out, they will be surprised
at the high volume of sales. We will see them on the slopes and see them
at most electric events as an EDF, far into the future. Just my humble
opinion. I am also building an F-4 Phantom from scratch. I waited several
years for the GWS U-2 and finally decided to stop trying to "push a string".

Arnold
ala722 is offline Find More Posts by ala722
Last edited by ala722; Feb 18, 2009 at 03:57 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 07:30 AM
Long Island ,NY
Joined Dec 2008
535 Posts
I just ordered one w/the factroy motor. Are the problems worked out with the fan and lack of power? I think the add said a BL2815. Thanks
bhoges17 is offline Find More Posts by bhoges17
Old Feb 21, 2009, 07:58 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,509 Posts
Never mind -

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Last edited by jamesdr; Feb 21, 2009 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Because I'm a doofus....
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:23 AM
I need a bigger garage...
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdr
The A-10 airframe was designed ahead of it's time. One or two rather minor tweaks and it is a prefect airframe. The stock brushed motors however, made the EDF5's barely flyable unless he pilot was very experienced. The advent of cheap brushless inrunner motors and high discharge lipos have MADE this plane. Toss the stock 350's in the swamp on arrival.

The BL2815 is a 70mm fan and the A-10 used two 55mm fans. For mine, I used the GWS 4600km BLM0005 motors and it is a stand out. Search the web and you will find a lot of videos from folks with similar setups - a 20mm diameter motor with around 4500kv and can sustain 3s batteries.

Jim
Jim,

Unless I missed something, I think you're thinking of the wrong thread. This is the A-4 thread, not the A-10.

bhoges17,

I can't say anything about the stock motor and fan myself, never used them on my A-4. If you read back in the thread as well as the one in the Foamy EDF section, you'll see that the stock power system had problems and failures initially. From what I've read, they are better now and there are several people on here flying with them. People who are looking for higher speed and power have gone with a hop-up fan and motor.

Andy
ajreynolds is offline Find More Posts by ajreynolds
Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:29 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajreynolds
Jim,

Unless I missed something, I think you're thinking of the wrong thread. This is the A-4 thread, not the A-10.
My bad--- too many windows open.

Jim
Old Feb 22, 2009, 01:05 AM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoges17
Are the problems worked out with the fan and lack of power? I think the ad said a BL2815.
Depends on which version you bought. Early-bird models included a low Kv motor that produced about 570g thrust and drew 19A on 3S (it could also be run on 4S for more power). The first retail version had the 2815 motor, which produces about 670g thrust and draws 36A on 3S. The latest one has the higher Kv BL2815-2A motor, and should also include a new stronger impeller. It generates about 830g and draws 42A.

IIRC, most of the failures were due to unbalanced impellers in the pre-built fans. If your fan vibrates at any throttle setting then I strongly recommend balancing the impeller. In any case you should remove the impeller and check inside it, to see which version you have. The old one did not have any ribs to keep the shaft centered (the new impeller has 4 ribs). A centering disc is available from GWS, or you can make one yourself (see this thread).
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Feb 22, 2009, 07:32 PM
Long Island ,NY
Joined Dec 2008
535 Posts
The one I ordered has the 2815. So I guess Ill be let down. How much of a pain is it to balance it? Ive only done 2 props so far.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 06:18 PM
Long Island ,NY
Joined Dec 2008
535 Posts
I got the kit today. Whats the ave build time and do most guys install the rudder?
Old Feb 25, 2009, 06:46 PM
I need a bigger garage...
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
1,296 Posts
Quote:
I got the kit today. Whats the ave build time and do most guys install the rudder?
Can't say what the average build time is, but it goes together pretty quick, even for me and I'm a pretty slow builder. It really depends if and how many mods you decide to do to it. The airframe is pretty nice stock, but it's also a great platform for lots of different mods.

I don't think most people put the rudder on. I did put it on mine, but I hardly ever use it. It flies great without a rudder and you can save a little weight without it.

Andy
ajreynolds is offline Find More Posts by ajreynolds
Old Feb 26, 2009, 06:14 PM
Long Island ,NY
Joined Dec 2008
535 Posts
My fan is rubbing against the outer casing. I havent fired it up yet. I sent them an email. This will set back my build. Sucks.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 07:28 PM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Quote:
My fan is rubbing against the outer casing. I havent fired it up yet. I sent them an email. This will set back my build. Sucks.

well this sounds a bit weird...but if you run the fan real slow, than slowly increase the throttle about 1 click at a time for about 3 minutes each click
you'll rub the impellor to a comfotable tolerance...other "Jet Jocks" will scream at me for suggesting this but it worked for me.

the next thing I did was get a very very thin piece of sandpaper and slid it in against the shroud tight and turned the impellor by hand to sand off the rubbing tip to create a minimal gap.

some food for thought

Chuck
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Old Feb 26, 2009, 07:44 PM
Fly Low Fly Fast Fly Often
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
Quote:

You can try to adjust the centering of the motor. If it is still too close to the shroud sanding is an option. I have done it several times just like AirWarrior is suggesting. It is a practical solution that works. I have saved at least two fans that way.

One note of caution. I always mount the fan prior to starting it up. Many are flexible and hand pressure on the shroud will distort it and cause the blades to rub. ( I know, I did that twice) Besides, holding that thing running 45000 rpm in your hand is dangerous if not scary.

If you got one of the new improved rotors you should be able to get it to work. However if your rotor does not have the ribs inside and up front and the backing plate, then I would request one from GWS.

Good luck which ever way you decide.
JR
jjr2001 is offline Find More Posts by jjr2001
Old Feb 26, 2009, 08:28 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,509 Posts
Also - make sure that you are not squashing the shroud out of round. It is really easy to flex the duct and cause rubbing.

Jim