HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GWS CHEN, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 02:05 AM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
1,508 Posts
Motor for the A4?

Hi, I bought the GWS A4 and I'm looking to get a motor for it. Did anybody here use a motor from Hobbycity that can recommend?
Thanks in advance!
E
earaoz is offline Find More Posts by earaoz
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:23 PM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,193 Posts
Hobby City (AKA Hobby King/United Hobbies) might have a lot of cheap motors, but nothing that I would recommend for the EDF75.

Ideally your motor should have the following specs:-

Kv: 3600~4000 for 3S Lipo, 2700~3000 for 4S
Power: 350W+
Weight: 70~100g (2.5~3.5oz)
Case Diameter: 28mm max.
Shaft Diameter: 3mm

AFAIK the only motors that meet all those requirements are the GWS BL28xx series. If the adapter can be drilled out to 1/8" (3.175mm) then you have more choices, including ARC, Medusa, HET and Mega.

Out of all the motors that Hobby City sell, the HXT/Turnigy B2835 was the only one I found that appeared to be suitable. I tested the 3900Kv version on 3S and it worked, but performance was lacklustre and I have doubts about its reliability at ~380W. It may also be tricky to install because its shaft diameter is 3.2mm - not 3.175mm! (this difference may not seem like much, but it will not fit an adapter which is drilled to 1/8").
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Oct 29, 2008, 03:57 PM
Fly Low Fly Fast Fly Often
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
Best Fan and Motor for GWS A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by earaoz
Hi, I bought the GWS A4 and I'm looking to get a motor for it. Did anybody here use a motor from Hobbycity that can recommend?
Thanks in advance!
E
HC has a nice 75mm fan and motor but you will have quite a bit of modding to fit it in the GWS A4. The HET setup is much higher quality than either of the other options mentioned. With the HET setup you will have to add two wood mounts on either side of the fuse and then fill in the void with RTV rubber cement. I wrap my fan in saranawrap and then put in enough RTV to make a Gasket around the fan. Now you will have a fan that is held in with screws that you can remove instead of the lame doublesided tape that comes with the kit.

Try the HET 6904 fan and 2W20 motor from HET. This is a great setup for the GWS A4. You can find a bunch of info on the A4 on this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826052

Good luck in your quest, Mine has the HET 6904 and 2W20 motor and runs super on 4s1P Lipo at 4000mah. I have about 75 flights on her and I would never use the stock GWS fan or their red or white motor ever.....

If you want super fast then you can put in one of the "high power" modds with 1200 watts...Too hot for me....LOL...
jjr2001 is offline Find More Posts by jjr2001
Old Oct 29, 2008, 04:04 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,216 Posts
earaoz, Mine is now running a 1200W+ setup. It used to have a setup like jjr's. The thread he listed is the place to go to find out all the mods and goodies. GWS doesn't like us talking about aftermarket parts in thier threads.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Oct 29, 2008, 04:11 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
1,508 Posts
Thanks for the information guys! And duly noted about the other thread. I didn’t know about GWS’ position on this…after all, they make the NPS version and it is up to the customer to decide what to put on it
E
earaoz is offline Find More Posts by earaoz
Old Nov 13, 2008, 09:18 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
http://flyclub.gws.com.tw/forum/atta...5&t=1226585696

A4 down load for FMS, free!
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:04 AM
Evansville Indiana
Joined Aug 2006
230 Posts
This link doesn't give you anything....can you please check it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS4CEO
dellavex is offline Find More Posts by dellavex
Old Nov 29, 2008, 07:18 AM
Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Jun 2004
180 Posts
Just Finished (pusher)

I just finished my TA-4 Yesterday, pusher version
Set up: LSSPJ
cc 45 esc
3 Eflite servos
APC 7X5
3s 2100
First attempt at a weathered finish, Have not maidened. I need to come up with something to protect the servo arms as I belly land on grass.
basha53 is offline Find More Posts by basha53
Old Nov 29, 2008, 09:51 AM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,216 Posts
Basha, Nice looking scooter and pretty good weathering job for a first shot at it. Your doin better than me. None of my birds sport any weathering other than what comes normally over time from use . Good luck on your maiden.

Jason

P.S. I use some light ply glued into the wing that sticks out past the servo arm length to protect my servos. Acts as a grass break for them. Others have use scrap depron to make a ramp or spare small canopies to cover them.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 12:04 PM
Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Jun 2004
180 Posts
Thanks, Jason

I have some srcap depron and ply laying around, I'll give it a shot. Where it's located it should almost look like a stores pylon
Old Nov 29, 2008, 12:09 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,216 Posts
Basha, That is what mine looks kinda like. Matter of fact once mine gets her long over due retracts thats what they will be converted to. Same with my Center line Skid, Will become the center external drop tank pylon. (Got some cool plans for that too )

Jason
Old Dec 11, 2008, 10:32 AM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
2,094 Posts
This is my GWS TA-4J done up as a TA-4K in the colours of an RNZAF Scooter from the mid '70's. Some build pics are in a blog entry here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966521

KiwiKid
KiwiKid is offline Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SLS for the Calypso Cobra
Old Dec 19, 2008, 07:46 PM
Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Jun 2004
180 Posts
NICE!!!!!!!!! Great job on the A-4

Gary
Old Jan 31, 2009, 01:56 AM
I need a bigger garage...
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS4CEO
Mr. Lin,

Could you please post a different link to the FMS download or attach a ZIP file of the model directly in this thread? Clicking on the link you posted does not work.

Thank you,

Andy
ajreynolds is offline Find More Posts by ajreynolds
Old Jan 31, 2009, 03:30 PM
Foam Flingin' Nitro Pilot
San Diego
Joined Mar 2008
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by basha53
I just finished my TA-4 Yesterday, pusher version
Set up: LSSPJ
cc 45 esc
3 Eflite servos
APC 7X5
3s 2100
First attempt at a weathered finish, Have not maidened. I need to come up with something to protect the servo arms as I belly land on grass.
You know, I've been meaning to mention this....

If I ever set mine up for belly landing, I'm planning on simply cutting a slot in the top of the wing for the servo arm to stick out. This is a thick wing, so I would expect that you could make it so that it's barely noticeable. Of course, in the air it won't be noticeable anyway.... certainly wouldn't look any worse on the ground than the fact that there are no landing gear....
It also would make for a slick wing bottom (well, if you clean up all that "removeable wing" crap), which would be all the better for belly landing....

Look at a Park Zone Stryker, and you'll see that it's a no-brainer....
Pancake_1 is offline Find More Posts by Pancake_1