SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 07, 2002, 11:01 PM
G1K
Joined Dec 2002
8 Posts
Newbie needs some Zagnutz help please

I just picked up a bundle of bluecor, and I have cut out my first zagnutz. So far so good, but I now need to get servos, motor, recv'r, battery etc. for the plane.

For Christmas I will be getting a 9C to replace my current transmitter, but for the foamies, I will need light weight gear. So, here are my questions:

I am looking for the following items(low cost, and reputable place to purchase from are ++ ), and I'm hoping the collective experience of the group can help me out..

Receiver: 4 channel, must work on FM ch 13
Servos: Light weight, strength for 52" zagnuts and other foamies (I'm looking at the $13.00 ones on ebay, good/bad?...)
Motor/prop combo
ESC
Battery(s)
Charger

I'd like to get all the stuff before Christmas, which means I will have to order soon. Any and all help is appreciated.

TIA,
Ryan
G1K is offline Find More Posts by G1K
Last edited by G1K; Dec 08, 2002 at 11:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2002, 12:00 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Welcome! Check out the GWS gear at Horizon Hobby or Office Products or any number of other vendors. Buddy 6 if you're close to Canada is another one. Look at nano servos and the light weight gear. You order the crystals seperate from the receivers and the receivers are either positive JR/Airtronics or Negative Hitec/Futaba shift. Just be sure to buy the right shift. Hopes this helps...
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Dec 08, 2002, 11:11 AM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
Ryan, I typically use a Hitec 555 on my wings but it's heavy and costs a bit ($50-$60). I bought two of the GWS Naro 4 channels ($21 each) and so far I think they are great little receivers. Aeromicro sells them as do lots of other online vendors. Here's the link to the receivers at Aeromicro: http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/rec...1_products.htm

As far as an ESC, I would get at least a 20A. You'll use it. www.servocity.com has the best prices on servos. I have some pictures of different chargers up at http://www.yourzagi.com/batterybasics.htm#chargers

You have come to the right place for help! If you post another thread entitled 'help with a Zagnutz' (or retitle this one) you'll most likely get flooded with more data than you want.

Matt
www.yourzagi.com
mtayl is offline Find More Posts by mtayl
Last edited by mtayl; Dec 08, 2002 at 11:13 AM.
Old Dec 08, 2002, 11:31 AM
G1K
Joined Dec 2002
8 Posts
Thanks Gents, this is the exact kind of help I am looking for.

Mtayl, I am changing the topic now

Those receivers look good, and the price is right. Now I just need to find a suitable battery (actually, 3 of them )

Ryan
G1K is offline Find More Posts by G1K
Old Dec 08, 2002, 12:32 PM
NJ
Joined Jul 2002
195 Posts
Check out http://www.allerc.com or http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com you can't beat $20 for a 1800mah 8 cell pack.

Z
zeenon is offline Find More Posts by zeenon
Old Dec 08, 2002, 01:41 PM
NJ
Joined Jul 2002
195 Posts
Matt,

Any drawback to the naro RX?

I need to pick up another RX for my zagi and currently have a hitec 555. How far have you flown out with the GWS naro?

For $21 bucks I could outfit 2 zag's for the price of one.

Z
zeenon is offline Find More Posts by zeenon
Old Dec 08, 2002, 08:44 PM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
Zeenon, so far I have been fairly impressed with it. It is only a single conversion FM and we tend to fly in a relatively quiet RF area (we think). My flying buddy Voyantus thinks he may have seen a glitch once that brought his slowstick down but I have not seen one that I can directly attribute to the Rx. We both have flown our slowsticks in a thermal probably pretty close to 1000 feet away if not further with no problems. For a parkflyer Rx that you tend to keep relatively close to you I would certainly recommend it.

I'm not sure if I would put it on one of my high powered Zagi's or WingWarriors simply because it is only a single conversion and I'm not sure that I would want to risk a 45oz and 70+Mph wing out of control. But having said that, I have no hesitation putting it in a smaller or slower aircraft.

Here is a picture of one on my slowstick. I put a piece of strapping tape from one side of the Rx onto the other to help hold the crystal in where the yellow arrow is. Overall, I'm impressed with the thing. You do need to order GWS crystals for it which is no big deal if you order it through www.aeromicro.com

Matt
www.yourzagi.com
mtayl is offline Find More Posts by mtayl