Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 23, 2007, 01:43 AM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Build Log
FunAero Albatros DIII

I got this model a few months ago and have just started assembling it a week ago. I have both wings framed up and just about ready for covering. The construction manual is a little sketchy but with the aid of a thread on RCU, I'm progressing rapidly.

Here is the kit info:
Wing Span 65"
Length 48"
Weight 91/2-10 1/2 Lbs
Wing Loading 20.5-22.5
Engine 60-90 2-STROKE
70-91 4-STROKE

I'm planning on powering the model with a TP 4130-8T, Hxt BSC60A, 16x10 APC E prop and 6s2p 3600 lipos. The motor should generate 11 lbs of thrust at a max pitch speed of about 60 MPH while drawing 48 amps.

I'm going to finish it in the scheme one of Richthofen's Albatri. I hope to tip the scales at 11 lbs RTF. I think the weight listed on the boxtop is a little optimistic, perhaps without fuel.

Next step is to tackle the fuselage. I want to do a scale cockpit so I'll have to modify the kit from stock.

The front cowl splits apart and it looks like there'll be plenty of room for my batteries.
thunder1 is online now Find More Posts by thunder1
Last edited by thunder1; Oct 23, 2007 at 02:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:44 PM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,576 Posts
Gotta love the Albatros..Here's a link to athread over at RCU you may want to check out.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_14..._1/key_/tm.htm
barmonkey is offline Find More Posts by barmonkey
Old Oct 23, 2007, 01:18 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
That thread is the one which got me hooked on the FunAero DIII. I was going to go the scratch route until I found that thread. I had never heard of FunAero.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 01:58 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
That kit looks great, especially like the spinner and and detail bits like guns and wheels. The tinware around the engine needs a bit of modifying to look right, its not just cut square but contoured and curved around the engine.

Will definately be following your build on this one, heres a few more albie schemes and a look at the tinware.

Steve
floss is offline Find More Posts by floss
Old Oct 23, 2007, 02:10 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
I see what you mean. I'll be looking to detail it as much as I can. The dimensions aren't exactly right on the kit, after all it's marketed as a sport scale kit.

I've been looking around for a wooden prop in the 16-17" range for this model. Anyone know of one which matches the full scale prop outline?
Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:06 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
The electric scale forum is the place to search out scale wooden props. Here is a pic of an original DIII cockpit. Because I'm building a scratch DIII at the moment I've collected quite a few Albie pics, let me know if you need anything and I'll have a look through them. Don't forget to give us some pics as you go.

Steve
Last edited by floss; Oct 24, 2007 at 12:14 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 01:26 AM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
I hinged the ailerons tonight using Robart hinge points. I had to add some balsa blocks for mounting the hinges. No instructions were provided in the manual for hinges and I figured these hinges would be close enough to scale.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 03:21 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Th1 ,Looking good so far .This is quite a change from the B17 project. Keep up th good work.Floss, Your scratch DIII, Are they from Gary Suderland plans? Or you drawing them yourself? Have fun.

KOMET44
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Oct 25, 2007, 12:17 AM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
I'm sheeting the upper wing center section tonight. I used TitebondIII on the ribs for a good strong bond.

Does anyone have some close-up photos of the full scale elevator control horns? I know there were two sets of pull-pull. I bought some Robart 5/8 ball link control horns to use. But they will probably need a little shaping to get them to look more scale.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 03:15 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMET 44
Th1 ,Looking good so far .This is quite a change from the B17 project. Keep up th good work.Floss, Your scratch DIII, Are they from Gary Suderland plans? Or you drawing them yourself? Have fun.

KOMET44
Its a build as I go job, only plan involved is the upsized 3-views.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 03:23 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1
I'm sheeting the upper wing center section tonight. I used TitebondIII on the ribs for a good strong bond.

Does anyone have some close-up photos of the full scale elevator control horns? I know there were two sets of pull-pull. I bought some Robart 5/8 ball link control horns to use. But they will probably need a little shaping to get them to look more scale.
There is a guy in Austria who has built an exact flying replica down to the smallest details, original engine and everything. The pic below is the control horns and the website will allow you to look at the slideshow of the tail and horizontal stabiliser detail.

http://www.modellbaufreunde.net/inde...detail&id=2084

Steve
Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:30 AM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Wow, thanks. That'll be a big help.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 05:44 PM
Oakland, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,181 Posts
Nice big Albatros Thunder. I build Kurt's little DIII last year and love the way if flies and looks in the air. Have you decided if you are going to go with a wood finish fuse? Thanks for posting.

Alex
Rekitter is offline Find More Posts by Rekitter
Old Oct 25, 2007, 11:35 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Alex, I'm definitely going to leave the fuselage unpainted except where it's red in the first profile I posted. The wings are going to be red on top and light blue on the bottom.

After sheeting and sanding the fuselage, I'm going to apply a couple coats of Zinsser sanding sealer. Then I'll spray on a few coats of Minwax polyurethane. I might add a few drops of color in the second coat to darken the finish.

I finished the wing tonight. Here a a few pictures.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 02:16 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
Shes looking good, thats a good sized wing. One of the easy things about the Albatros is that there is heaps of colour schemes that don't need lozenge. Heres a link to a cool website of detail drawings for the DVa, its a later model but it gives a good idea of how things were on the DIII.

http://mwmiller.theaerodrome.com/alb/albatros2.htm