Old Oct 22, 2007, 08:45 PM
I just love flying
Traverse City ,MI
Joined Dec 2005
907 Posts
Build Log
Yet Another Ivan Pettigrew Short Solent 480

Hello everyone!!

After many years of sitting on the side lines I thought I would join in. Even though it took me a long time to get started, today I finnished one fuselage side of my Short Solent 480. I have school tomorrow and lots of homework so build updates will be weekly ( If there is something new). As I go I am sure that I will find things that I dont know what to do with, a long with other difficult areas.

{EDIT} There is no dead line. Finish it, and finish it well.

Specs:

Scale: 1/14.5
Span: 99"
Wing area: 1,200 sq. ins.
Length: 73.5"
Weight: 124 oz. (Hopefully)
Wingloading: 14.9 oz./sq.ft.
Power: 4 speed 480 brushless motors

Links:

Ivan's Website:
http://www.geocities.com/ivansplans/index.htm

Luke's tremendous "Ivan's Planes" index:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710485

An issue that I have to deal with is my color scheme. I like the TEAL colors but they have seemed to become too common. Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here are a few pictures from just a couple of hours ago:

Matt

UPDATE 5/24/2014: The build is nearly finished, feet wet soon.

UPDATE: JUNE 17, 2014, The Solent takes to the skis!

THE PASSWORD FOR ANY VIDEOS ASSOCIATED WITH MY AIRPLANES IS: matt
MattZC is online now Find More Posts by MattZC
Last edited by MattZC; Jun 27, 2014 at 10:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2007, 09:34 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,475 Posts
Best use of barbell weights I've ever seen! Keep up the work.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Oct 22, 2007, 10:46 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,775 Posts
Looking good Matt.
Keep up the good work!

Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old Oct 23, 2007, 01:37 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,753 Posts
Matt:
Signing up to watch.
Rick
RiBell is online now Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Oct 23, 2007, 09:08 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
I'll be watching, Good Luck.........
CaptAhab is offline Find More Posts by CaptAhab
Old Oct 23, 2007, 09:32 PM
Suspended Account
Grove City, PA
Joined Sep 2007
955 Posts
The seaplanes are so much work. I started this one a year ago. Got in 95% complete with retracts, lights, etc, and ran out of steam. You know, that desire to keep working on quicker builds. I'll finish it this winter.

I figured by late summer, the water was getting too cold if I had to swim after it , so I put it on hold.

Hope you get the motivation to carry through.
Bill Covert is offline Find More Posts by Bill Covert
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:16 PM
I just love flying
Traverse City ,MI
Joined Dec 2005
907 Posts
Beautiful SeeBee Bill!

I'm at a different house for just tonight ( ), away from my Solent, but will build the other side tomarrow depending on work load from school.

I still have visions of a Short Solent flying off the water at my house withh the beautiful sunset in the background. Walking out to the end of my sandbar, and looking out and imagining flying this beast is what keeps me inspired with such a intimidating project as this. There have been days of glass lakes and fairly thick fog, glass lakes and blue-bird skys all day long, there have been days where the wind stops with half an hour of light left in the day. These kind of times I picture the Solent floating out in the water, and I know, I have to finnish this.....

~Matt
Last edited by MattZC; May 26, 2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 02:43 AM
Student of Ivan
El Paso, Illinois
Joined Apr 2006
725 Posts
Matt,
I'll be watching as well...

As far as a unique scheme for your Solent, I'm afraid you're quite limited if you wish to keep it as a MkIV as TEAL had the only ones, but it's quite easy to do as LukeZ did and change it to a MkIII. The only real differences are the MkIII's had a small prop spinner and different arrangement of the passenger windows/hatches. A quick look through LukeZ's build thread will yeild some options.

Looking good by the way...

John
mountainman2442 is offline Find More Posts by mountainman2442
Old Oct 24, 2007, 10:58 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman2442
As far as a unique scheme for your Solent, I'm afraid you're quite limited if you wish to keep it as a MkIV as TEAL had the only ones,
You could always make-up something. After all; I don't think that we are entering any scale contests with airplanes built from Ivan's plans.
I like the TEAL colours enough, that if I ever build the DC-3 that I have plans for; I might just use them on it, even though TEAL never flew them. I've seen a pic of a DC-6 in Teal colours
Rick
RiBell is online now Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Oct 25, 2007, 09:02 AM
I just love flying
Traverse City ,MI
Joined Dec 2005
907 Posts
I said I would have the other side built by today but no, I dont, because of my parents dragging me back to the same house away from my Solent, against my will. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to do twice as much work tonight. (Building the other side and then joining them togeather) Its going to look so cool.

As for making up a scheme I am really bad at that. Maby some of you guys can create ideas for me. I might also ask the Visual Arts Department here at Interlochen to see if they can help me at all. (I doutb it) Covering is a long way off, so I have a while of building before I should even think about my color scheme. I did however find a new scheme on my hunt last night, but the picture is very small and hard to determin what the actual details are.
(First and Second Picture)

Another idea is to take a Short Sunderland scheme and just transfer it onto the Solent, considereing there are much more pictures on the Sunderland.

All in all I am undecided. But I have enough time to figure it all out.

~Matt
Old Oct 29, 2007, 07:48 PM
I just love flying
Traverse City ,MI
Joined Dec 2005
907 Posts
I got some more done tonight, built the other side, and have some new pictures...

Sorry for the bad quality...

~Matt
Old Nov 06, 2007, 09:27 AM
I just love flying
Traverse City ,MI
Joined Dec 2005
907 Posts
Hello everyone!!

Last night I joined the two fuselage sides together....

I almost got everything done, with all the cross members, but, on the top top part of the back of the plane, I was cutting the top pieces as to the cockpit level, instead of the level of the original fuselage sides. So I had to cut every top piece off in the back and set it aside for the night...

Pictures will come late tonight....
It looks like an Airplane!!!

~Matt
Old Nov 07, 2007, 06:52 PM
I just love flying
Traverse City ,MI
Joined Dec 2005
907 Posts
Hello again!

I don't like this report tonight but I took some pictures:P

When I got home from school today, I had to play with the dawg...so she brought me a toy and I was throwing it up in the air, and it went over our balcony on the second level.... and landed on the back top half of the Solent. All I heard was a crunch, and then little pieces of balsa started falling from the sky.....

so I fixed it all up and took some pictures that look just about the same as it did before....

sorry for the bad quality..

~Matt
Last edited by MattZC; Nov 08, 2007 at 06:16 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2007, 02:18 AM
Student of Ivan
El Paso, Illinois
Joined Apr 2006
725 Posts
Matt,

Nice progress. Can't even tell it was damaged. Things getting broken during construction is just a way of life with Ivan's designs....although a dog toy would probably damage most any model...You'll be quite suprised how strong it becomes as you get further along but I'd still be a bit more careful where you throw .

John
mountainman2442 is offline Find More Posts by mountainman2442
Old Nov 25, 2007, 05:42 PM
plane builder
Traveres City
Joined Apr 2006
175 Posts
nice job so far matt
ya i got to get those plans so i can catch up w/you and we can fly unison.
skaterkid65663 is offline Find More Posts by skaterkid65663